$9.95 for multiple ALT basic accounts

Rc Rexen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After making a second basic ALT account I saw a one time charge of $9.95 on the account. I have 1 premium account and created 2 basic  ALT accounts. I did not know about the $9.95 charge. The first ALT basic account had no charge and was free. After I created the second ALT basic account it said there was a one time fee of $9.95. I read the pricing for SL accounts and yes it does say the Lindens can charge for multiple ALT basic accounts.

Are there other people at your RL location that have SL accounts?  Without looking it up I think I remember that "a household" was allowed 5 accounts, at LL's discretion.  If you happen to be in a barracks, dormitory, halls of residence or similar it could be that LL's system has tripped over several accounts which aren't really yours.

As Amar said, it looks like a new thing. I have over 70 alt accounts, only one of which i paid anything for. That's my main and an alt that I paid for back when av accounts were not free. The rest came later and were free, but I haven't created a new one for a long time.

My first thought is that the charge sounds like a very good thing - to keep at bay those people who grief and, even before you can submit an AR, they're gone. Later they come back with another free account and do it all over again. If there's a one-time charge to have any extra accounts, then that charge will (I assume) be forfeited when the griefing is done, and no more free accounts can be had without paying the one-time fee again. Something like that.

My second thought is that the last paragraph is rubbish, because those griefers do what they do on first accounts, and not on seconds ones.

Rc Rexen wrote:

The fee of $9.95 is in the dashboard for the ALT basic account. I did use the same e-mail for my premium and 2 basic ALT accounts. I am the only one in the house on one router. I also do not use sharing on my computer.. 

this is why then..

you used the same information..so your account starts out as a PIOF if you had a premium account tied to it by the same information

throw away accounts don't use the same information..

i didn't think they charged for aditional alts anymore  that are related to premium accounts..

Phil Deakins wrote:

As Amar said, it looks like a new thing.
I have over 70 alt accounts
, only one of which i paid anything for. That's my main and an alt that I paid for back when av accounts were not free. The rest came later and were free, but I haven't created a new one for a long time.

I am perplexed at why so many alt accounts.  Even if your a creator of clothing, one alt can be something different when ever you need it. Is it common to have an “army” of alts?

(giggles)  I would never be able to keep up with their names, much less their passwords.

I don't try to keep up with their names - I have them all in a list. And, apart from my main av and one other, they all have the same password.

The bulk of them were created for three different reasons. The first few were demo models for the store. They were added to with many traffic bots and, when traffic bots were banned, I used them for links to my store parcels, and I added the rest in that process. Now I only use five as demo models, and I don't always have them logged in.

I never go out and about as anything other than my main av.

From the SL Billing Polices Page:

Linden Lab offers free access to the Service through accounts that require registration, but do not include an access fee or recurring charges for access to the Service ("Access Accounts"). Only one Access Account is permitted per unique user; additional Access Accounts for the same unique user require a one-time access payment. Uniqueness of users is determined in Linden Lab's sole discretion. Linden Lab also offers access to the Service through accounts that require registration and regular recurring charges ("Subscription Accounts"). The features and limitations of Access Accounts and Subscription Accounts are provided at Linden Lab's sole discretion.

I don't know... I made 2 accounts last weekend. Both the same day. I used all the same info as my main... Same email address... Everything the same. No charges are on their accounts...

Are you sure you didn't accidentally make them premium? I think premium comes up as the default choice when selecting accounts.

Dashboard said basic $9.95 one time charge. I cancelled both the basic ALT accounts after I saw the one time charge. The accounts also said upgrade to premium. The advertising pitch to get you to upgrade.

Your current plan: Basic Membership
Upgrade To Premium Today!
Your billing rate: USD 9.95 Basic

ConnorBrady wrote:

Very odd. Like I said... I made 2 alt accounts last weekend. Both using the same email address as all my other accounts... (I have 7 in all). Both made the same day. Both say FREE. No idea why yours would charge and mine didn't.

were yours using the same information that was tide to a premium account? or were they tied to an already free accounts information?

i think it is something to do with premium accounts..

either way..mine has said upgrade to premium since the day i had her added..it doesn't mean it is being upgraded to premium..it is just a question that is there all the time..

Phalen Soulstar wrote:

Don't you feel bad about all your abandoned Bots, Phil? Poor guys haven't seen the light of day since time immemorial- hope the damsel still sits in her tower
;)

Nope. The tower has gone and, with it, the damsel in distress. There aren't many handsome princes in SL these days so she was never rescued - poor girl :(

Every single one of my accounts has the exact same information. Same email. Same payment info on file. I gave my correct name and address. Everything is identical. I have one premium account and 6 basic accounts, including the 2 that were made last weekend. All say free in the box where the OP's had a charge.

That is certainly odd. Now, I have never had a Premium account, myself. But I have quite a few alts, mostly for roleplaying purposes (so I can do things like have a maid come in and serve my guests while my main is chatting with them in the same room, or have an alt werve as a guard or an entertainer...). I always use the exact same real-life info on the accounts. All my accounts say "FREE" in that field.

One thing I have never done, since 2006 or so, is to add payment information at the time I create the account. If I decide that an account needs payment info, then I add that after the fact from the website. For the most part, all my accounts have used the same payment info as other accounts. (Several on PayPal, several others on the same credit card.).

So I am curious, and have a question for the originator of this thread. When you signed up those alts, did you accept the option to give payment information at the time of account creation, even though you were not going Premium? Or did you add payment info later? Or did they have no payment info on file at all?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.