Turning on Lights and Shadows Messes Up My Shoes/Feet

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed this problem with several different pairs of prim shoes that do not have alpha layers or mesh.  If Lights and Shadows are turned on in the graphics preferences. They look strange.  I have fully updated 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate and a GTX 580 with the latest drivers.  The same thing happens with Firestorm Release version and LL Viewer 3.2.5 beta.  I can't run the official release viewer because it crashes on startup.

If anyone has a suggestion about how to fix this without doing without Lights and Shadows, of about what the cause is, I would appreciate your posting it,

With Lights and Shadows off:

Without Lights & Shadows_001.png

With Lights and Shadows on:

With Lights & Shadows_001.png

Invisiprims aren't (currently) supported in deferred rendering. Mostly due to the fact that they were a bug and are a total PITA to support.

If people whine and complain loudly enough LL will probably add them back, but keep in mind that invisiprims really are a pain, the render pipeline has to go through some very weird contortions to get them to work. And they break lots of other content. It is really best if people just switch to avatar alpha masks.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2720

ETA: I think my wording might be a little misleading. Invisiprims were unintentionally broken during the updated of the OpenGL code the viewer uses, LL either didn't notice or was hoping we wouldn't notice. From what I can tell invisiprims depended on some quirky behavior of some legacy OpenGL functions so getting them to work with modern OpenGL will be problematic to put it mildly.

leliel Mirihi wrote:

It is really best if people just switch to avatar alpha masks.

I agree with you completely.

I'm just sitting here waiting for the creators of all of the shoes that i've got to rush me the replacement alpha layer for their no mod shoes that I can't remove invisprims from either.

Making alpha's for shoes that don't just mask out the whole foot is an absolute pain.

Sassy Romano wrote:

leliel Mirihi wrote:

It is really best if people just switch to avatar alpha masks.

I agree with you completely.

I'm just sitting here waiting for the creators of all of the shoes that i've got to rush me the replacement alpha layer for their no mod shoes that I can't remove invisprims from either.

Making alpha's for shoes that don't just mask out the whole foot is an absolute pain.

First of all invisiprims aren't rendered at all when deferred is enabled so it doesn't matter if the shoes are no mod because you don't need to removed them.

Second I wasn't suggesting people make alpha masks for their entire collection of shoes going back however many years. I don't know about anyone else but I personally don't wear much of anything I bought before 2009. More specifically I was talking about newer stuff, especially things people are making right now that still use invisiprims.

Third there are several freebie packs of alpha masks on the market place that work with most shoes.

leliel Mirihi wrote:

First of all invisiprims aren't rendered at all when deferred is enabled so it doesn't matter if the shoes are no mod because you don't need to removed them.

Second I wasn't suggesting people make alpha masks for their entire collection of shoes going back however many years. I don't know about anyone else but I personally don't wear much of anything I bought before 2009. More specifically I was talking about newer stuff, especially things people are making right now that still use invisiprims.

Third there are several freebie packs of alpha masks on the market place that work with most shoes.

I know that no mod makes no difference to the alpha layer.  The freebie packs of alpha layers do not cope with say a pump style where the toes are covered but the foot itself is not, particularly where there's a bare heel with an ankle strap.

The freebie alpha packs assume that you're using a prim foot which masks the whole foot, that was my point as stated.

I have a good number of excellent shoes which are not made around a sculpted foot but quite happily use the SL foot as described here and i'm not prepared to throw them away for the sake of an alpha mask.

However there are still many shoes available today that are often included with outfits, like the Christmas one that I bought just before Christmas that have invisiprims.  After Christmas was over, the creator eventually responded to my 4th contact and sent me an alpha layer.  So it's not just things bought pre/post 2009 as there are many still for sale and being made NOW that will suffer.

A few of my favorites were bought in 2007 and 2008.  One was given to me in 2007 by the creator, who is no longer in SL, and I have a sentimental attachment to it.

I tried the alpha masks that came with some of my newer shoes, and none worked well with shoes they didn't come with.  I have neither the talent, skills, time, nor software to make alpha masks myself.  I need an in-world tool that lets me make the alpha mask while wearing it.  Something like a tool that lets me paint invisibility on my avatar and then save it.

I think LL should prohibit sale of items containing invisiprims if the viewer is not going to support them.  At least, they could require MP sellers to certify that none of their items on MP contain them, and if they catch one lying, permaban him.

I've said in the past that one of the good things about SL is that things don't wear out.  I guess obsolescence due to technical progress is the SL equivalent.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.