Marketplace getting worse and LL lack of accountability....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rene Erlanger wrote:

I sometimes use Marketplace "Search" to find the product I'm after.....but i'll go in-world and buy it from their Store..Shopping in-world is all part of the Second Life Virtual World experience! :matte-motes-wink:

i used to do that also..until i found myself having to hunt out what i was looking for or landing in the middle of a mall waiting for these huge places to rezz..

i guess that was when the grid was going through the everything has to be sculptie and the store must look so amazing that it must take 5 to 10 minutes to rezz phase..

it just got old and became easier..no let me rephrase that..it became less frustrating to shop..lol

it just became habit over time to save time..i would have loved to experienced those places that never rezzed..

but shopping is kind of like the old web page rules when they would take too long to load..you have so much time to grab the customers attention before they go elsewhere..

i think it kind of evolved into how a lot of us shop today..

LL does not help inworld stores by pumping up the marketplace...

it's like they want a piece of the action..

i thought they were more like a hosting business that was not sposed to be dipping into their customers jar..but nowdays it seems like they want a cut of everything instead of just as they always say..we are in the land business..

if they were in the land business ..they would be doing something about the land business rather than watching it turn to desert..

they give me the feeling they are grabbing as much as they can from where ever they can before the show is over by dipping into everyone's pockets like they are..

i don't usually down talk them..but i really feel they messed up with the marketplace..all this web based crap they have now rather than keeping profiles in world and shopping in world and now people hanging on the feeds rather than in world..bleh..

ok my medicine has me wandering ..i'm category F5 moody flu bitch right now with a migraine the size of my dog...

sorry if i sound all bitchy.but it did feel good to say it hehehe..it just seems like a big hole we are in again right now and it's old being stuck in a hole *ouch*

Ann Otoole wrote:

As soon as direct delivery is deployed there is no longer any incentive at all for having an in world store or being premium or having any land at all.

Whatever.

I will continue to shop in-world, like I've always done!

99% of the time, this Sims I visit are not over-crowded with avatars, so i don't get this type of laggy experience. As per Ceka message.....I do however find the rez time of some of those Sculpty prims very annoying.

It will be interesting to see the maths regarding a) increased commissions earnt through Marketpace....versus b) lost of Land/ Sim tiers and Premiums subs due to shops closing in-world (or downsizing). IMO it might end up being a mis-calculation by LL.

Can't be sure of the maths regarding mainland plots & premium subscriptions....but we do know there are 900 less Estate sims than in Jan 2011....for argument sake, lets assume they're a mixed bag of Homesteads & Full sims (125 + 295) /2 = 210 USD average monthly tier cost per sim  =>  900 x 210 x 12 = 2,376,000.....yep, so around 2.4 Million USD less Tier income in 2012

...or in terms of Lindens sold using Market SELL.......2,376,000 x 258 => equivilant to 613 Million Lindens worth of MP commissions!! :matte-motes-agape:

I would suggest that a lot of  SL businesses closed or downsized on Mainland too...so we could be talking around a Billion Lindens (Equivilant to $3.8 Million USD) worth of Tier gone south!

Ann Otoole wrote:

As soon as direct delivery is deployed there is no longer any incentive at all for having an in world store or being premium or having any land at all.

Whatever.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of also, Miss Ann.  But think...if inworld shopping ceases, all the vendor makers go out of business too.  There won't be need of the fantastic vendors they've made anymore!  I know of one who has made the very first mesh vendor, and I gotta say...it's a magnificient piece of equipment!  I've been in his store several times and had my finger on the buy trigger each time.  But I use his Core System and don't really need another style.

But it scares me to think that all these other people go out of business if we merchants close down our inworld stores.  All with no fault of their own.  

Rene Erlanger wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Yes, they charge us 5% on every sale.  But I'll tell you this...because of all the problems with the Marketplace...they don't even deserve THAT much.  If there was a 30% commission on all my sales,
I would close down my Marketplace store faster than you can say Jack Robinson. 

You mean Jack Linden!  :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Yeah, yeah...HIM!  LOL!

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Rene Erlanger wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Yes, they charge us 5% on every sale.  But I'll tell you this...because of all the problems with the Marketplace...they don't even deserve THAT much.  If there was a 30% commission on all my sales,
I would close down my Marketplace store faster than you can say Jack Robinson. 

You mean Jack Linden!  :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Yeah, yeah...HIM!  LOL!

i have to say..that was pretty slow getting that spit out..you better pick another name :P

hehehehe

I seriously doubt that Linden would improve Marketplace to the point where it would render inworld stores obsolete. Just looking at some of the stores where I shop, and how big they are, I suspect that they represent a pretty good chunk of income to Linden. Make vendors switch to Marketplace and they'd lose revenue from vendors purchasing land for their inworld stores.

It's already happening...where tons of commercial sims and lands have been closed.

Ask any of the large Estate owners that have Commerical zone sims or Mixed Zone sims in their inventory....as to what types of land are being abandoned!  Marketplace gets too much visibility via their Linden viewers.....new residents will invariably tend to use MP to shop as opposed to using in-world Search for in-world stores.The only ones that might not be effected as much.... are those selling Buildings, Furniture & landscaping products (Trees, off-sim products, waves etc), where it's still a good idea to inspect the products.

Yes, Faye, instant messages are NOT getting through to email as they should (they should whether or not inworld messages are capped). I have started to have this happen in just the past few weeks when I ALWAYS could rely on them coming to email in the past. It's essential to good customer service. Now, I am seeing three things:

1) Offline notifications coming to email, but the message does not appear inworld upon login (and this is when messages are not capped)

2) Offline messages/im's not making it to email when they always should, but are there upon login. I have always asked customers to send both im and notecard to be sure when they need to contact me for help. It's never been a problem until now if they only im'd me - I always saw it and responded right away. NOW, it is essential that they do both because there is no way of knowing which form of communication will reach me.

3) (This is the wierdest one) Mid-conversation with another avatar in im's, inworld, their post gets sent to email instead of being posted as it should in the inworld conversation. I see it in my email, and then, after logging out and logging back in, it appears as if it had been sent while offline. When in fact, the system is "plucking" it out of a conversation mid-stream and sending it to email.

SL communications are not working properly at this point - it affects us on all fronts - Marketplace communications, Group communications, Social communications. There are a variety of JIRAs for the issues, so I am not alone in experiencing this.

Arwen..it's a SL server bug.....there's a workaround!

When you log in next time.....block/ mute a prim object from your menu or Pie menu (depending which Viewer you use).....you'll see.all the offline stuff will come flooding through as well as notecards and other sent items !

Thanks Rene, I did that. It worked for my store alt account. However, on my "Arwen" account, I never had the issue until this past month and the workaround has not worked for this account. The JIRA is starting to see people posting that the workaround is not working anymore, so it's more widespread than just me.

Rene Erlanger wrote:

It's already happening...where tons of commercial sims and lands have been closed.

Ask any of the large Estate owners that have Commerical zone sims or Mixed Zone sims in their inventory....as to what types of land are being abandoned! 
Marketplace gets too much visibility via their Linden viewers.....new residents will invariably tend to use MP to shop as opposed to using in-world Search for in-world stores
.The only ones that might not be effected as much.... are those selling Buildings, Furniture & landscaping products (Trees, off-sim products, waves etc), where it's still a good idea to inspect the products.

It would greatly surprise me if new users didn't think of the marketplace as the normal way of shopping and actual inworld stores as something of an extra - even a novelty.

LL have hijacked SL shopping - and made a real pig's ear of it (because it doesn't work properly).

i'm just gonna use MP as a catalog from now on and get the things i am going to buy from the in world stors..i may just get samples and demos from the market..which really i think is what it should have been used for anyways rather than putting everything up there to sell rather than just test things..

i spent the mornign doing just that and it felt good to get out and get back into the stores..

i found all kinds of neat other things while out and about..so i'm done being a couch potatoe..sl is too neat to be sitting in my home shopping online letting the inworld pass me by..

*winks*

The DD will solve the problems we are currently having.  Whether or not they create more or worse problems is a whole other question.  I would guess that yes, DD will come with its own disasters, possibly built in as "features", because that's just how LL roll.

But you are right about having nothing to do with taking boxes into inventory or X-Street listings.  I've never taken my boxes into inventory after setting them up, and I had no boxes when X-Street was active.  Also, I had no market delivery problems (possibly due to low sales volume) until a few months ago, but now they happen quite often even though my sales problem is still really very low (and in fact lower than when I was having no problems with non-deliveries around Halloween, which has been my busiest time to date in terms of sales volume).

Also there's  that whole takes hours at certain times of the day, every day, to deliver thing that started up around Halloween.

Marketplace function has deteriorated in my view.

@Ann: I disagree about no motivation to own land.   I like owning my land.  I have next to no stock on it (I don't have enough prims to bother with putting many full objects out, and sometimes I don't even have space for vendors, and I sure do not have enough sales to bother uploading pics to put on vendors or sale-boxes), and rarely does anyone come to land looking to buy anything.  It's happened once that I know of, and since I was there at the time, but the items they wanted were not, I just gave them what they were after. 

Paid for as a yearly subscription, premium is decent value for money.  I get the 400 lindens rate of stipend so I only have to come up with less than 5 dollars a year (from memory) for my own little slice of 'do what I like with'.  Mostly I just change on my front lawn and knock down my dominos from time to time, but I could do other stuff if I thought of something else more interesting.  DD will do nothing to convince me to get rid of my land.  Only a raise in costs or loss of value might do that.  Otherwise, I'll probably stay preimum so long as SL continues to exist.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.