If you don't have a home....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A quiet spot near a sandbox (that may be an oxymoron) would allow you the ability to rez things at the sandbox.

However, if you find a parcel where you can rez packages & dress in privacy, which seemingly nobody else knows about, that will give you the most privacy & feeling of "home" without actually paying for a home. Don't go into other people's houses to dress or otherwise use their stuff though. Some newbies do that, but it's bad manners & usually annoys the owner if they catch you. There are a few places that offer free dressing rooms. When all else fails, you can also dress underwater.

Alternately, if you find a public place where you just like the setting & feel comfortable, that works too. Some groups have club houses, pubs, lounge areas & even group sandboxes. There's a haunted beach-side hotel with cheap room rentals near my land that could be cool if you like the spooky atmosphere. I think the name is Artisted Out Motel.

Hi Mariah, welcome to SL.

Phil is right. As soon as you log off your avatar disappears. It doesn't wait for you to come bback.

If you want to get where then before you logged out or crashed just open the viewer and at the botttom click the location tab and choose last location before you click login.

If you need a place to call home, there are plenty. I keep offering myself up but my place is PG so no-one wants it even free of charge, lol :))

Edited: Whole chunks of text missing

MariahWhispers wrote:

Thank you, was not aware you don't show up if logged out!

That is so sweet. A lot of people believe this at first. :matte-motes-grin:

Out of habit, just before I log out, I usually "park" my avatar in an empty Linden mainland ocean, then when I log back into my last location, I rarely land on top of anyone else, and it gives me the space and chance to catch up with messages and group notices.

Rabid Cheetah wrote:

On the contrary, your avatar DOES wait for you to come back.  Sure, no one can see it, but it pines away in the server, wondering if it will ever see you again.  Why must you be so cruel, and torture it so?  Photonic lifeforms have feelings, too, you know!

Well said! Our avatars do wait for our return. We sit in the electronic shadows, flitting between electromagnetic dreams, occasionally half rezzing at the promise of full cerebral existence. Please log in, we cry. It may be your second life, but for us, it is all we know.

Rabid Cheetah wrote:

On the contrary, your avatar DOES wait for you to come back.  Sure, no one can see it, but it pines away in the server, wondering if it will ever see you again.  Why must you be so cruel, and torture it so?  Photonic lifeforms have feelings, too, you know!

Like a rag doll, sitting neglected at the bottom of a dusty old wardrobe.  Now I feel sad for the alts I haven't used in years. They'll have arms and legs missing by now, and maybe a virtual mouse has made a home in one of them.

Rabid Cheetah wrote:

(:

mine doesnt. she has a little bed and nice warm blanket and 2 pillows and pjs even. she closes her eyes now when she goes to sleep. i turn off the light and set to midnight as well. and she just zzzzs the whole time. when i log in she jumps out of bed with her hands on her hips. like where u been and whats for breakfast (:

16 wrote:

Rabid Cheetah wrote:

(:

mine doesnt. she has a little bed and nice warm blanket and 2 pillows and pjs even. she closes her eyes now when she goes to sleep. i turn off the light and set to midnight as well. and she just zzzzs the whole time. when i log in she jumps out of bed with her hands on her hips. like where u been and whats for breakfast (:

So cute!

about the sandbox tip for premium members: if Mariah would be a premium, she had a Linden home or first land and no use to look for an empty space somewhere on the grid.

When I was a homeless noob I mostly didn't bother about anything, I just logged out and logged back in at the same place. Later I set my home to some clubhouse or friend's house or some ocean or unused skyplats. When I needed privacy (dressing, reading notecards, IMing) I just flew up a few hundred meters.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.