removed

Lucinda Bulloch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The llSetRegionPos() is not revolutionary, from a programming point of view.
It just replaces the well known warpPos(), but has probably a few advantages.

1. It can probably cross land that is barred or otherwise no go.
  2. It has a nice return value to tell about it's success

About breaking the 10m rez limit I have used a method for years now, that do not require any script in the rezzed object;
Simply let the rezzing object warp to the rez position, rez the object and move on:smileyhappy:

Relax.  Dora doesn't play macho games.  I'm sure that many of us have used that same trick with WarpPos or PosJump.  She's simply pointing out that the new function does what we have been able to do for a long time, only now it does it without having to rely on a hack.  It's a nice addition to the LSL function list.  :smileywink:

Lucinda wrote (in another thread), "Try to ignore the macho game of the script writers most have an axe to grind.", hence the new picture in my forum badge.  Apparently anything we write that she doesn't agree with or understand is us being macho.  (Not sure I know what axe we're meant to be grinding but there's one person I won't be looking to for explanations of anything)

Feel free to copy either of these pictures if you want them:

SVA170.jpg do-not-feed.gif

What are you talking about, Lucinda?  You posted a nice example of a way to use the new function, and Dora commented that your way was an improvement on something that we have been able to do with a hack for a long time. I don't know why that prompted a snappy response. And I certainly don't know what this morning's early post was all about.

The moderators have never had to work hard at keeping the tone of this form civil, because you have to look hard to find posts that are unkind.  We're here to share ideas about scripting, not carry on personal arguments.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Color shows how to convert a vector and float to a single integer, if you are interested.  Particularly useful for colours and other values where the values are capped at 255.  Position within a sim would be the same but llSetRegionPos() is actually going to make that a bit trickier as the range extends 10m into the surrounding sims (-10.0 - 266.0)

that would be a nice method to rez if the rezzing and rezzed objects are totally independent. I think I saw Vector2Integer conversion somewhere which would account for floats.

Of course if the rezzer and the rezzed object are dependent (for instance the rezzed object must move or die if the rezzer moves or dies) then they have to maintain heartbeat anyways so the coordinates to move to could be delivered as strings.

Another tiny tweak I've used to get (slightly) more precision is in the special case where one of the dimensions (Z, most likely) can be calculated by the rezzed object, so only the X and Y coordinates need to be passed in the start parameter. This may arise when the object can be rezzed at the correct Z, for example, or when Z is some constant offset from llGround() at the destination.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.