I've been told I'm being played by alts belonging to one person, needing proof

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

You can't. Scanning devices that can determine if more than one account is on the same IP address, such as RedZone, are not only banned, they also tend to be inaccurate. After all, you could have multiple people in a house using the same computer, for instance, all playing SL with their own individual avatars. They'd have the same IP address, so RedZone would say they were alts, when in fact each might be a separate account belonging to a separate person.

Instead, you have a few options. One, just ignore it. Whoever told you this might just be trying to cause trouble. Two, if you're really concerned, observe your conversations with each of these supposed "alt" accounts. It's difficult to disguise the way a person "talks" or types and how they act, etc. Avatar style - how they dress, what skins they prefer, etc. - might also be consistent across alts. Three, ask. Simply tell this person that you've been told they have some alts and you're curious to know if it's true. They may or may not answer honestly. (I'm betting not, in this case, but you never know.)

• Like 1

Jaici,

Ariel is very correct in her reply. Additionally, don't be in a hurry in your relationship development here in SecondLife. As in all things, "time wounds all heals." 

I've found that if you are experiencing a lot of "Drama" being forced upon you by others, it may be time to leave them all behind. Quality relationships take time. Have a lot of friends in SL. Chat to them all. Go out with groups of friends and be social. Once you have the trust that a long friendship engenders, those friends become jewels.

We are missing the real life "Tells" that let us know how accurate our perceptions about others are. Only time with someone socially fills in that missing information. Key things to look for are length of time here in SL, the Public Profile, the groups one chooses to publicly display in their profile, The Picks one takes the time to create and fidelity to those things in the profile. Also, you get to know someone here not only by chatting with them, but by also knowing their friends and seeing how they interact with them and your friends.

So, are you being "played"? Are the other Avatars too good to be true? Is the "posse" trying to lead you to a decision you don't need to make? Are friends becoming too possessive? Watch out!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.