Getting Started blog - updated for v3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've finally updated my blog for getting started in SL:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/getting-started-in-second-life/

It was on V2, and still had notes about the sidebar and risks of siezures. O.o

Now it covers V3 and the new initial login screens.

Let me know if I've missed anything obvious the new folks might need to know.

Is that the right link? Cause I'm getting a 2010 blog, with the V2 interface. Well, there are 2 or 3 V3 photos it seems, did you just update he words but keep the same photos? I notice the side bar in most of them. Looks like you put a lot of work into it. Did you cover the Ctrl T thing? I get asked about that a lot, and about moving the buttons around on screen.

Oh yeah.

Looks like I do still have sidebar images in the inventory portions and need a new pic for profiles. :)

Thought I'd gottent he sidebar references out, but only did it with a search of the text and images that were talking about it specifically so 'rememberable'.

Its only new images otherwise, where new images were needed. Looks like I need to make a few more edits there though. :)

Got some major ones fixed. Looks like it wasn't as updated as I thought, but I think anything that was just wrong to the point of misleading is fixed. WIll have to finish it up tomorrow though. Sigh... Missed some pretty obvious stuff there. :D

The only reason I didn't give up on SL when I first joined was finding someone else's older 'getting started blog' that was still viable when I "came back" in early 2009. When V2 hit I realized that person wasn't really active anymore, but everything was different now for the new people - so I wrote the first version of this thing.

Since v3 hit, it seems everything is different -again- for the new folks. And reading some of the forum posts I can see some of the questions people have relate to those differences... so it seems like its time for another update.

1am here though, and I guess its not as ready as I'd hope. That'll teach me to say I'm done when its this late and I'm that tired... :D

Oh well, guess I know what I'm doing when I get home from work tomorrow. :)

My dear,

Art is never finished, only abandoned.

Art is not a race to be won by crossing a finish line at a certain distance. Art is not about capturing something ‘perfect’ and showing it to the world.

Art is about the imperfectness of it all, of life. Art is a teacher that teaches that this thing we’re doing is not about coming in first (whatever that means). Art shouts to us that we are all different and yet similar at the same time. It screams that this is not a race for we’re all running in different directions.

Art teaches us that we are never done learning, never done exploring, never done growing. And yet at the same times whispers that although we aren’t done growing we should constantly put ourselves out there like it does. Art is eternally unfinished and it knows that… And that’s the point.

Falsely yours,
Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.