I don't want to delete my avatar, but I want to put her on a leave so people can't find her in world

TatumDelaney

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't want to delete my avi, but I'm needing to take some time off and I want to make it so that people don't go looking for her. Is there a way to hide her from search and on people's friends lists? I tried unchecking the "Do not show in search" box, but that didn't help. People still found me.

4 answers to this question

No, you can't disappear from SL without actually cancelling your account. You can stop logging in, but there is no way to remove yourself from search. You can keep friends from seeing you offline by unchecking the little box that says "allow friends to see when I'm online," but you can't "hide" your avi. (And I'm not entirely certain how many friends you can "go invisible" to at one time, or if there's a limit.)

The most effective thing to do would probably be to say in your profile "on hiatus" or something.

• Like 1

People can find you in multiple ways even if you "unclick" for them to see you online.  One way is thru groups you belong to if a friend searches there they can see when you were last logged in.  Another is that many people use HUDs that will show when you are online even if you have unchecked them to see you online.  So the best way to avoid drama with friends on your main account is to create an alt - a new account that you can log in with when you want privacy.  The key with alt accounts tho is to avoid your usual hang outs and friends, otherwise they will likely figure out from mannerisms and even typing styles that this "new" person is you, thereby creating yet more drama.

Just log in one more time on the avatar you want to take a break with, and add something to your profile 'about' section to let people know that you're just going to be away for a while.  Good friends understand that real life must always come first, and will welcome you back if and when you are ready to return. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.