Unable to save snapshots

Jolene McAndrews

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Since yesterday (Jan 4 2012) I've been unable to save snapshots to my computer. I click "Save" or "Save As..." and either, nothing happens, my viewer (latest official viewer, V3) freezes, or a dialog box comes up to save but I can't click "Save"

Please help! I run a blog and kinda need to take pictures!

RE: I'm usually the only person at home using the internet when taking photos. I don't stream music...definitely dont have any stock market tickers going...Just SecondLife and Yahoo IM running.I've tried rebooting my laptop AND modem, still doesn't fix it.  I've tried relogging but that's just a temporary fix because sometimes that works and other times it doesnt. Plus it's annoying when you're trying to take a picture with someone and you gotta relog.

7 answers to this question

I had the same problem. I tried to refresh, check the firewall, etc, etc ... but this gave me the solution. To find my pictures faster I had configured recibe it in Desktop, so try to save them in "Download" ... Bommm! It worked! Is all and simple.?

Edited by DwightLewis
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This happens too often for me. The only solution I have found so far is to log out and take a photo when you log back in. Usually it seems that the inability to take photos is caused by me being inworld for awhile without having taken any photos. Of course, it could be that the problem was there since login, but I wasn't aware of it until I tried to take a photo :P

I've never had that happen, but my guess is that you have a temporary connection problem or you have other processes competing for your available bandwidth.  It takes a fair amount of bandwidth to download a photo to your computer.  I notice, for example, that streaming music often gets choppy or cuts out altogether when I'm downloading a photo. There's simply not enough bandwidth to do everything at once.  If you are on wireless, or are downloading an upgrade to your anivirus package, or have a stock market ticker updating prices in the background, you might just be running short of available resources, so SL won't let you download your photo. You might have the same problem, BTW, if your router was acting a little flaky, so you might try rebooting it to see if that helps.  Just unplug it from the power for a few minutes to let it catch its breath.

I've been playing Second Life for going on 6 years now. I have never in my entire digital existance encountered this error until I rebuilt my whole machine. Now I'm plagued by it constantly. I have run several tests to figure out what could be the cause and I've narrowed it down to SL not being able to communicate with the hard drive. It is NOT caused by internet lag or modem setup.

One Workaround: When I'm in a pinch I actually email the photo to my own email address. I'm emailing massive (3k in width PNGs) to my gmail when it refuses to save to disk. This works always and also should not be affected by internet lag (except maybe when downloading those huge snapshots, lol).

Restarting SL has worked sometimes as you've noticed. Pre-emptively opening the directory you're going to save to also has worked in the past for me but that might have just been coincedence. 

EDIT: Oh also, if you can't SAVE your snapshots, you also can't upload textures. SL will hang up or just not find your directories. Restarts, of course, sometimes fix this.

Hey,

I have the same problem lately after i dl the lastest version of SL viewer.... never had that problem before.... I too run a blog and i am behind my schedule in my blogging... Pleasesssssssssss  if anyone found a solution, IM me inworld.... I will be eternally grateful....

Last resort: Does changing my pc helps?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.