Sign in to follow this  
Xavier Novelli

So where is Rodvick when the servers aren't working?

The problems with the servers every week is getting ridiculous. There shouldn't be any need to do the restarts everyweek and then maintanance after the restarts. How long will it be before restarts have to be done DAILY along with maintenance? What this all tells me is that SL is becoming one huge conglomeration of broken worlds, jerry rigged creations, bulky inventories  and over dressed avatars. I think its time to only charge people for 6 days a week for tier since the servers are down for almost a whole day. I know LL keeps promising progress....but so far progress is SL-OW (and so slow its even going backwards).

I disagree with you.  Progress is being made all the time.  I've seen massive evolution since I started in Second Life four years ago.  Nowadays we have weekly restarts.  2008 and prior we used to have downtime Wednesdays, where nobody could log in for several hours at a time. Do you want to go back to those days?

As Second Life is full of user created content, and as everyone clamours for more features, more realism, etc., and as Second Life is a running program, it is essential it is maintained on a running basis. 

There is a heck of a lot going on all the time behind the scenes at LL, and I for one appreciate all those little elves doing their work so that I can enjoy my leisure and pleasure time in Second Life.  If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't waste my precious time being part of it.

I haven't seen the restarts or maintenance as a problem. Especially considering a lot of new features have been rolled out recently and more are on the way.

There's plenty of more serious issues with SL to worry about than the mild inconvenience of being unable to visit a sim for five minutes once every week, and the restarts haven't even actually been that frequent, not that I've noticed at least..

I'm more concerned that LL seems to have stopped developing the "social profiles" short of adding any actually useful features to draw people to in-world events, communities or content. Or the long broken/buggy content creation tools. The poorly proportioned, 7' tall starter avatars, the bad camera placement, the bad windlight defaults and a whole host of other issues that LL has given no indication that they plan to ever fix.

Xavier Novelli wrote:

What this all tells me is that SL is becoming one huge conglomeration of broken worlds, jerry rigged creations, bulky inventories  and over dressed avatars.

Ha ha! Becoming? I thought that's what SL was! lol :D  

Weekly restarts are very predictable. On Tuesdays they restart the 70% of the servers that run the main version of the SL server application. During these restarts they often update the server application with changes that have previously been tested on one of three "release channels."  Even when there are no changes to the server software they typically restart the servers because it hellps to clear up glitches that tend to occur when the servers are run continuously.

On Wednesdays they load changes that are in the final stage of testing onto the three "release channels," each one of which is used on about 10% of the grid. This is a stress test for the changes that sometimes turns up problems that can't be detected in other ways. My home is on one of these release channels and I haven't had any problems in the months I've been on it.

The server maintenance is completely separate - they are updating the Linux operating system on each server in turn.

I know all this because I read posts in the server section of the forums. Maestro and Oskar are the Lindens in charge of the servers and they seem to be the two Lindens who make a point with communicating with the residents. The announcements in the grid status are done in a bit of a shorthand style but the information is definately available.

Yesterday evening I was dancing in a club & people were really angry because unscheduled maintenance hit them & they lost inv & were unable to tp. One woman said she lost $L1,500 worthuv stuff. They said that this maintenance was unannounced. Later I was dancing at my sister's gig & I mentioned this & she already knew all about it. She wasn't troubled cuz she knew about it ahead of time. So I guess this sort of thing is announced somewhere and those who know where to see it avoid problems. Other people tho, apparently, get whacked when this sortuv thing happens. I guess you need to be on top of the announcements if this sortuv thing bothers you.

Jeanne