Why does Second Life crash on startup?

ZMinty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Not too much of a techie here, but if you are using an old computer and trying to run the newest viewer (either from Linden Labs or Firestorm) then it is likely that your system just can't deal. That is what happened to my friend. Have you tried a viewer 1 alternative? You can still use 1.23.5 (which does very little) or Phoenix which now even has mesh. An older Phoenix or another third party viewer might be better and easier on your system though.

So I would try that and see if you can get in. Lots of folks with older computers or slow laptops can't run the newer viewers. The good news is that you still can use the oldies for awhile. The bad news is that server support for viewer ones will be going away in the not too distant future (not date mentioned) so it is only a short term fix. Long term? Save your pennies for a new computer.

Good luck!

3 answers to this question

Not too much of a techie here, but if you are using an old computer and trying to run the newest viewer (either from Linden Labs or Firestorm) then it is likely that your system just can't deal. That is what happened to my friend. Have you tried a viewer 1 alternative? You can still use 1.23.5 (which does very little) or Phoenix which now even has mesh. An older Phoenix or another third party viewer might be better and easier on your system though.

So I would try that and see if you can get in. Lots of folks with older computers or slow laptops can't run the newer viewers. The good news is that you still can use the oldies for awhile. The bad news is that server support for viewer ones will be going away in the not too distant future (not date mentioned) so it is only a short term fix. Long term? Save your pennies for a new computer.

Good luck!

We have found that this problem can often be solved by clearing cache manually, from outside SL.  It's a fairly easy process.  See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_cache_clear for good instructions, written for Firestorm users but applicable to any SL viewer.   Clearing cache manually removes more than just your texture cache.  It forces your viewer to rebuild several basic user files, any one of which may have been corrupted over time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.