Sign in to follow this  
Muireann McMillan

Short and/or fixed emotes and, ideally, IMs?

Hello,

I am thinking of restricting comunication for a (RLV) sub, but not muting completely. I already forund a "dolly voice box" that lets the sub say, in open chat, only one of a set of fixed phrases she selects from a list.

But there are also emotes and IMs.

I hear that some restraints can restrict emote length. Where can I get such a restraint? Or else something that would restrict emotes to a fixed list, too?

And, can the same restriction (short or fixed list) be dome for IMs? Or is it only "allow" and "disallow" for them?

Thanks!

You can't do anything with IMs other than allow and disallow either (or both) incoming and outgoing ones, and also set up exception lists.

You can certainly play around with emotes, though.  Either you can use @sendchat=n, which forbids chat altogether and truncates emotes at 30 characters, or, and this might be better for what you want (because @sendchat would probably interfere with the "dolly voice box") you could use @rediremote to intercept any emotes (while ignoring normal chat, and letting the voice box handle it) and redirect them to some other channel.  

On hearing anything from the sub on this channel, the script would discard the message and, instead, present the sub with a list of preset emotes to select.

I don't know if anyone sells such a product, but it would certainly be easy enough to make one.

Generally IM restrictions fall into one or two groups.

A). The person wants to be restricted to oblivion and having no way to call for help or communicate is part of their idea.

B). IMs are their lifeline (or only way to communicate a verbal safeword when limits are crossed) and as such any restriction could potentially throw them into a state of discomfort if not break one of their limits. This is why many relays and collars have built in functions for IM exceptions for Owners and similar.

There aren't many cases where things might fall between the two that would need to be present for long, or which can't be a willing agreement with a sub. RLV is just a tool, it's what happens outside the computer screen that is important.