Question about full perm clothes

shaylajoy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

i am thinking about getting one of those boxes with full perm clothes for reselling. Are there any rules?

Should i set them to no mod/no copy? Or better no trans? And what about the prices? Can i sell them for 100 L? Or lower?

And should i mention the names of the creator(s) too? Like... "clothes by..."?

Hello shaylajoy and welcome to SL Forums. Even you find full permissions clothes, it is no sure that you have the right to re-sell them. If you want to re-sell clothes find an Affiliate program at Marketplace. There are so many. Every brand / company has its own rules - policies, usually available in their descriptions. So you have to accept and follow them.

if you mean one of those Businesses in a Box full of full perm pre-made clothes there aren't really any rules on what you can/can't do with them but since anyone if they look around a bit can pick up those clothes free you can charge what you like and the majority of residents won't buy them knowing they can get them free elsewhere

Also make sure you are getting them from a legitimate source, as many "business in a box" type things actually contain other creators items that have been copybotted, and you may find your innocently purchased items missing from your inventory if someone files a dmca on you. Best option is an affiliate system if you're not of the creative persuasion, or if you one day want to make your own, there are some great full perm kits available on the marketplace from legitimate creators that you can load up in your image editor to change and learn from. Affiliates and full perm kits usually have their own rules that you agree to when you purchase the items. :)

If you want to resell goods buy a legitimate resale vendor directly from a creator.

As others said a lot of those full perms things are old freebies no one wants or they have been copybotted without permission.

Even if the clothes were not copybotted, full perm freebie does not mean the original creator approves of the clothes being resold.

You cannot hurt anything by IMing or note carding the original creator of the products and asking "is it OK if I profit off this even though you gave it away for free?" At least you won't run as high a risk of a DMCA then.

shaylajoy wrote:

Hello,

i am thinking about getting one of those boxes with full perm clothes for reselling. Are there any rules?

Should i set them to no mod/no copy? Or better no trans? And what about the prices? Can i sell them for 100 L? Or lower?

And should i mention the names of the creator(s) too? Like... "clothes by..."?

Before you splash any cash...check the market place. If you go to *apparel* then choose say *womens outfits*..then select a price range...0-10L would be good for this exercise.

You will see a huge amount of people doing just what youre thinking about already.  The only differences are :

1) A few hardy souls have removed the gear from its boxes and taken really bad photos of themselves in it

2) Some sell it full perms, some dont

3) Its priced anywhere between 1-10L, you really wont get more than this

Seriously, Business in a box type ventures wont pay off...as mentioned before its widely available free all over the grid, plus its not very good gear, you can find better in hunts & freebie malls.

Don't waste your time and money on business in a box stuff.  They are generally filled with very old and outdated items or poor quality and about the only thing you can do with it is give it away to new residents.  If there were any profit in selling the items , other than as a business in a box, the creator would not be offering them full perm to anyone but selling the items themselves.

But to answer you general question about rules , if something is full perm AND there is no user license with it, you can do what you want with it.  However, some things are available full perm and have a user license spelling out what you can and cannot do with it.  If what you get has a user license, then you are required to follow whatever terms the creator has set or risk having both SL and possibly RL legal problems.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

But to answer you general question about rules , if something is full perm AND there is no user license with it, you can do what you want with it.  

Not really true. It could be copybotted. Also, sometimes things have been separated from their license when another customer deleted it.

I was assuming that the items in the box were legit and not copybotted and are being sold by the original creator, since your previous post already warned the OP about copybotted tiems and items sold by a third party.  Anything copybotted or sold to you by a third party in violation of the original creators license can't be sold under any circumstances, of course.   The only thing  you can do with copybotted items or items that the creator says were sold to you in violation of their original license is detete them from your inventory immediately after you find this out. 

If the item was not created by the person that sold them to you, you should always IM the creator to check to be sure what there terms are. If you suspect that the item is copybotted and you know who the original creator was, you should report it to that creator so they can take steps to protect their IP rights.  If you are not sure who the original creator was its best just to delete them..

These business in a box things are all ancient freebies of mysterious origin; sounds like this is what the OP has. A legit resale vendor is never called business in a box. And it's available from the creator directly. Sounds like the OP has a box full of stuff from miscellaneous creators. It probably contains at least some copybot.

you really have to look and find the creators that are selling building components..

it's best to make sure you are dealing direct with the actual creator..

they will have indepth rules that you must follow to use their components..

you don't want to end up selling some items that have been copybotted and resold as some business..that could get you into trouble as well as banned..

even the ones that sell direct business components usually just sell things to enhance your products..

if they do not have an indepth policy for you to follow about the use of their product or the limits on permissions and instructions that sound like a lawyer is reading them off to you..then i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole..

that would be my first warning..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.