Sign in to follow this  
Huntress Catteneo

What's in a name?

So what does a name do for us here in sl?  Is it really much of a marketing tool?  Is it important at all?  should we all just have numbers?  What does a search bring up?  Must you pay must to be top of the pops?

Some people seem pretty up on names, making searches work for them marketing etc, so are the rest of us missing something or it it not as important as a few seem to think?  Where do we find stuff out to be informed and not just have one view of things shoved at us?

I was told: "Any place you look for in Search (eg Zindra Help Vortex) and then click the More Info button, you get a list of all the items on the parcel that are set to show in Search."

This is my reply:

That thing I have to search for OUTSIDE of SL so I am even less likely to use as it does not appear in search in SL for me.  Nor does my own place (it does outside though) nice to now. I remeber the stuff there long ago, like most was only after the chunk at the top about owners etc.  Still see no relevance unless like I said it acts as keywords etc.  If it only shows up when you pick to look at  more info, then it really doesn't count for much.  Rather than go on about whether or not to use particular names, how about informing whether that makes a difference to a search?

I make a few little things that I like for myself, maybe I'll become big some day, but i don't try to advertize much...I just thot it was cute to have a tiny little portal to sell my treats. So I love my name.

Plus, if i eva go hooker, my name rocks lol

-kisses, treat

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Nari/109/155/133/?title=The%20Treat%20Portal&msg=My%20little%20creations%20to%20share%20with%20the%20world 

You'd said to Gavin, "I don't even know what or where you searched for that list, but I do know it is not something the majority of people do."

I was just suggesting that's what and where he must have searched, is all.   And, while I don't know exactly how the search engine works nowadays, I do know that the advice you get from just about everyone, if you want to do SL's version of SEO, is to put appropriate keywords in the names and descriptions of objects rezzed on your parcel and to set them to show in search.   It certainly used to work.

ETA -- see https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Search_API#Parcels

i made a number instead of a name bc was kinda a silent protest really at the time

i end up with 16 bc i start at 00 and kept going up til i got 16 which was available. if i had been quicker than other ppl then i probly be avatar number 10 or less. if i had been slower then maybe 234567890123456

when linden changed the account naming system, i didnt see why if they going to change the system we couldnt have one or two names as we choose. or even a formal title as well if we wanted that. like Mr or Ms or Dr or whatever all on same line. even a middle name as well. lots of ppl would probly like that as well

as linden restrict choice even more when they change from two to one, i protest that just by pick a number. i think more choice is better than less choice generally. is true can use display names but is just fancy titler really that way i think. is how i use it anyways myself. i change it quite a lot depending on my mood

linden say they going to look at it all again soon. that be good. hope they going to allow both multiple and single names as we like and not just flop back to old way and we must have at least 2. i know is convention in western cultures to have at least 2 names but is not true of all cultures and is not necessary to impose on everyone just bc

i probly protest that as well if they do. if am forced to get 2 names then i probly just stay on resident and not change even if i can. that be kinda a silent protest as well. a surviving member of the great clan cleansing of 2012 and all that (:

Ranking as number 16 in search is not particularly good as most likely you will have dropped off the first screenful of the listing, and are therefore less likely to get visitors to whatever you have listed in search. 

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I was just suggesting that's what and where he must have searched, is all.   And, while I don't know exactly how the search engine works nowadays, I do know that the advice you get from just about everyone, if you want to do SL's version of SEO, is to put appropriate keywords in the names and descriptions of objects rezzed on your parcel and to set them to show in search.   It certainly used to work.

ETA -- see 

Yep and I thank you for all that, I did say I want to know.  :matte-motes-smile:

I always looked at the description thing of objects as just being for you to remember better what the hell they are and did.  Have to do things a little differently if the make much difference to searches.  As I said though, that stuff is only on the 'outside' search stuff for me, never use it, as far as I am concerned that is what an internal search button is for and it is all most people use, if they use search at all.  So why then does the internal search feature not have anywhere near the same information (that I direct at LL), having seen where you pointed me, I remember long ago having that other information available, so no idea why it isn't now.  Unless it is like many things with the 'advances' in viewers, it got left out.  as I said, with the 'internal' search, my place doesn't even come up so well worth spending money on (yeah right).

Love the reference to the Prisoner, I liked the old series, the new version didn't work for me , but yes all a number, and in fact your number could change as for some the number was tied to the job not the person, how confusing would that be?  I do understand names can be very important, whether places, objects or people.  Most of that importance is related to how a name is used, what it tells you according to what information you are seeking from it.

I unlike most I know, do not have a FaceBook account, they shut it down years ago when I first signed up as they decided I was not a real person because of the name I used.  I had a long battle back and forth with them explaining how it was my name, even though it was not my birth name, and in the end they agreed with me and were only too happy to help me set up a new account.  At wich point I told them where they could stick it, because i just wanted to make the point with them that they had noright to dictate to a person what their name should be.  It was also laughable to look at their policy of must use your real name, when so many were clearly not peoples real names.  Part of the idea was to make it easier for all the people who know you and want to find you can do so easily (along with the stalkers, angry ex's etc), and as I pointed out to them in great detail, if I used the name on my birth certificate, noone except maybe my mother would find me (I say maybe as even she is used to the name I use now).  Oh and the name? Huntress, used for a great many years now, the name I use as an artist, the name I use in the bdsm scene rl etc.  Just Huntress, no last name, nothing before it, be nice to have just that in sl.

Anyway, While I obviously understand names are important, I also believe some things are not worth battling over, especially when the gain, is minor compared to the detriment.  So do objects count much in a general search, or do they only really come up when that place you have searched for is looked at.  So I search for Zindra, does the Vortex come up high in the searches because it has objects with that name in them?  Or is it only the land description that effects that stage of search?

Huntress Catteneo wrote:

So I search for Zindra, does the Vortex come up high in the searches because it has objects with that name in them?  Or is it only the land description that effects that stage of search?

I think the answer to that is pretty obvious from my original post on the topic?

Which is also why having items listed for a certain keyword that does not add any relevancy to the location or a keyword search is concidered spam and abuse reportable. 

Gavin Hird wrote:

Huntress Catteneo wrote:

So I search for Zindra, does the Vortex come up high in the searches because it has objects with that name in them?  Or is it only the land description that effects that stage of search?

I think the answer to that is pretty obvious from my original post on the topic?

Which is also why having items listed for a certain keyword that does not add any relevancy to the location or a keyword search is concidered spam and abuse reportable. 

Umm no, sorry not obvious, since the sandbox still has the word Zindra in the land description from what I see, so the object naming for all I know has no relevance in the main search, only way I would be sure, would be if it came up high in searches, with no mention of zindra in the nam of tha land drescription etc, and ONLY came up on objects.  I se not proof of that atm.

As for it being spam and abuse reportable?  I might believe that if done since the change, when those things were named they were in keeping with the name of the place.  I am sure they will get replaced/renamed, but as I said, busy time of year.

Objects on that location that is spam are the prim elements called "Zindra Dome..." and the Teleporters as they add no relevance to the Zindra search. They don't have to be renamed, just have the "Show in search" item unticked. It takes 1 minute to fix it. 

Youve got to be kidding me.

Please stop accusing people of spamming. There cannot be that much free time in the world to spend time on this.

Let;s here some postive material, shall we?

Not accusing.

Just establishing the fact that you are listing a number of items in search that does not have any relevancy for your site, but significanlty skews the search result for keyword Zindra.  ;-)