Baked and Wooden Sculpts:

GenysisGwynn Nicoletti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello and Happy New Year Everyone:

I need some assistance on the following: I'm attempting to start my own design line this year and I wish to begin with shoes, so I went to market to find a shoe to practice on to learn in which areas I need help with in terms of placement of things and texturing, however, upon looking, I realize there's a difference in sculpts, so I would like to know the following:

What is the difference between baked and wooden sculpts?

Is either one easier or harder to work with from the novice perspective?

Which one is more relistic looking in terms of laying textures and different shoe designs?

What are some of the pros/cons of working with one as opposed to the other?

From a customer's  opinion, which  is recommended in terms of ease of wearing, skin matching, look, etc?

I know these are a lot of questions, so I thank you all in advance.  PS I read the wiki page concerning this but it doesn't quite answer the questions above that I have...

GG

** No Peter I know what a sculpted prim is I think i was very clear in my question not sure if you read what I'm asking in its in entirety, but thank you for your response hopefully it might answer someone else's question relating to what a sculpted prim is...HNY to you

***Thanks Lin, this is more on track to what I was trying to decipher...and I will be making my own I stated I'm buying this since i'm new to making shoes and want to know what the process is like...but thank you for your advice... so as I understand your response...its easier to apply textures to the baked than the plywood, is that correct?

3 answers to this question

Difference in sculpts?  Do you mean a difference between normal and sculpted primitives (prims)? If so ...

• You make 'a' sculpted prim in an external program, and import it into SL complete.  There is also mesh, which you can consider as a 'super' sculpted prim.  Sculpted prims, and epecially mesh objects, can be much more complex than a normal prim.
  • The big difference is that once you've imported your sculpted prim you can't change anything but its size.  The advantage of normal prims is the simplicity and flexibility that they offer.
  • It is easiest to texture mesh objects as long as you design their UV map with that in mind.  Texturing normal prims is easy and offers a lot of options.  Sculpted prims can be very hard to texture unless you are very careful while designing them.  In theory there's no difference in how realistic their textures will look but sculpts and meshes will let you make much better shoes.
  • Unless you are already a 3D computer designer you'll have a much steeper learning curve with sculpts/meshes.  Meshes, however, are THE way things are done in almost any computer environment so the skills are transferable.  It costs L$ to import each sculpt and mesh.  Beyond that the pros/cons discussion is huge, contentious and never-ending.  They are different tools for different jobs
  • There is no difference in wearing them, sizing is - possibly - easier with normal prims, look should be better with sculpts/meshes if you make them right.

I recommend building classes at NCI, Caledon Oxbridge or another good in-world helper organisation.

Edit: Alright, so you're really asking about the difference between textured and untextured sculpts.  But the 'plywood' sculpt ISN'T untextured, it has the plywood texture applied to it instead of any custom one.  Similarly, even a "completely-untextured" prim has the 'blank' texture applied.  If you want a picture frame is it easier to start with one that is empty or has a sample picture in it already?  Usual answer - it makes no difference because you don't use the picture anyway.

I haven't heard those terms before, but from context...a wooden sculpt would be just the sculpt map, or a prim the map is applied to, without any other texturing.  It would look like plywood until you apply a texture to it.  A baked sculpt would have the texture already applied, one more step done for you.

Applying textures to sculpties can be frustrating, so that's why some people offer "baked" sculpts.

It sounds as if you are contemplating buying at least some pre-made parts, or possibly even a BIAB...a "business in a box" with a ton of ready made content.  I recommend making your product entirely from scratch, instead.  Pre-made parts or shoes can be found everywhere, and there will be nothing to distinguish your products from the hordes of lookalikes out there.

Making sculpts requires that you acquire some skills with a 3D modeling program outside of SL, such as Blender, Maya, or LightWave 3D.  Blender is free.

The coming thing in shoes is Mesh.  This also requires modeling in a program outside SL.  You might want to learn to make Mesh shoes.

EDIT:  My guess is that you CAN'T apply textures to a baked sculpty...the texture has already been chosen for you.  If you choose to use another texture and the object will allow it, the situation is exactly the same as for an untextured (wooden) sculpt.

• Like 1

The difference between a sculpt map offered with "baked textures" or sometimes "shadow maps" is that some vendors sell the sculpt maps only, and some sell the sculpt maps with a seperate greyscale texture file included (the "bake")  that you can either use as a texture in world and just tint it, the "bake" will put the shadows in the right places OR you can download the baked texture and use it as an overlay in a program like Gimp, Paint.Net or Photoshop. So you could, say, put the bake shadow texture as a layer over silk, or brocade, or wood. When used in-world it will give the sculpt more depth if done right.

If you are just going to tint the baked texture - its not difficult to use at all.

If the bake is done well and you use a program to combine the bake with a good texture the results can be very realistic.

It should make no difference to the customer in regards to use because you are selling them a finished product.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.