What do these mean : (: etc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Been on SL a wee while now but I have still not worked out what people mean in local chat when they use symbols instead of words. I mean things like (:or:) or :-))). Is this a recognised form of communication or are residents just letting me know my spurious flannel is becoming profoundly annoying?

Any help would be much appreciated and will not result in an outburst of "spurious flannel"!

Thankyou

Don't worry, people just want to express their feelings better. Plain words can mean so many, cause you can't actually see how the persons face would look when saying something.

Always try to imagine what impression could be represented with it.

But I wonder if you ever been to somekind of chatroom or forum before, because its quite common on the internet to use them.

Hey, thanks everybody, I realise now where they are coming from, so if I just tilt my head by 90 degrees I will get a full pictorial representation of the intended emotion and the way round the brackets are placed will express the implied thoughts of the perpetrator concerning their feelings at that moment?

Can I just say that evrything I've typed after the words "coming from" could definitely be considered "spurious flannel", hope that helps!

Thanks so much for taking then time to reply, it's much appreciated.

Yes, I too was initially taken aback by these emoticon thingies tacked onto every sentence in chat; I knew what they meant, but they offended my pedantry. Why couldn't we simply express ourselves with words, I wondered, instead of cueing our meaning with childish symbols. After a year in SL, however, I have adopted the vernacular, although my vocabulary is still limited - almost every sentence in my chat ends with :)

You'll also find, I think, that posting on the forums requires ancillary symbols. If you fail to add "/sarcasm" to the end of an ironic proposition, for example, you may be quite sure you'll be taken literally.

>^_^<

Sorry to have caused such perplexity by my use of the words "spurious flannel". The word spurious really means not absolutely necessary and the word flannel in this context is a Brit wernacular for what is more commonly known as bull**bleep**. Therefore spurious flannel = unnecessary bull**bleep**.

Hope this ends any doubt there is about what I meant, but basically when I'm in the chat or in an IM I probably use more words than I need to!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.