Assigning face numbers? (using Blender)

Murgatroyd Zauberflote

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm designing a mesh body that can use the standard SL skin texture layout.  Why?  Lets call it an experiment for now.

Anyway, I have two meshes— male and female— and I need the face numbers on them to match each other.  What's more, I NEED the neck area to be face 0 to match the head, which is a seperate mesh with only one face.

Is there any way to predict which face will be assigned which number and also control it?  I've heard  something about changing the order of the material id or something, but I don't know what that means.  I've just been assigning UV textures to the mesh via the UV image editor window, which maybe is the wrong way to do it?

The order of faces is determined by the order in which the triangle or polygon lists for each material (which becomes a face in SL) appear in the Collada file. With the 2.49 exporter, this is the order of the material indices, the second of the numbers  you see in the < 0 Mat 0 > control in the Link and Materials panel of the Edit buttons (F9) in Edit mode. (The first number, before the "Mat" is the tiotalnumber of materials associted with the object.) This will show the material assigned to a selected face, or you can change it with the arrowheads and assign the selected material to the selected faces with the Assign button below. You can also select all faces with the indicated material.The material index 1 in Blender 2.49 becomes the face 0 in SL, material 2 becomes face 1 and so on.

landm.png

You need also to be aware that the current release and beta viewers impose two requirements on the materials used on lower LOD meshes if you proviode the. The first (which is supposed to have been removed but is still there) is that the lower LOD meshes all have the same number of materials as the high LOD mesh. The second is that the Blender names of the materials of the low LOD meshes must be a subset of those of the high LOD mesh. Togethjer, these requirements mean that the low LOD meshes must have exactly the same set of materials as the high LOD mesh. You can arrange that by applying materials to the low LOD meshes after selecting them in the updown control next to the word "Materials" in the Link and Materials panel and then applying them to the appropriate mesh faces as described above.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.