items disappearing after unpack

Zhoie Zimermann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Suddenly, for the last week or two (approx) I have been getting messages from my customers about my items disapearing in inventory after unpacking and only an empty folder with photo and landmark left. This has never been a problem before and I have not changed anything. It is the same unpack script and the same contents. If I resend the purchase, sometimes it does the same thing, most times it's ok the 2nd time around. Has any else experienced this? I am trying to identify what the problem is and anyone who has insight would help me a lot. Is this a problem due to script updates in SL, is it a current glitch....?  Thanks !

The first thing I'd look at would be the next owner permissions for the items your customers are trying to unpack.

llGiveInventoryList() -- which I think you must be using, from your description -- can only give items that are copiable by the owner of the object that's trying to give them, and if you've set the problematic items to by copiable by the next owner while they were in your inventory, that might well be what's causing it.  

Rez the items you're selling, set the perms with them rezzed, and then take them back into your inventory and put them in the boxes.   I think that might well fix it.

I realise that, but the only reason I can think of that llGiveInventoryList is going to fail like that is if something's going wrong with the next owner permissions.  

That's why I suggested double-checking the permissions when the items are rezzed in-world, because when if you change them while the object's in your inventory (or in the inventory of the box in which the item's packed), the next-owner permissions as seen in your inventory can get out of synch with the asset's actual permissions.   They'll be copiable by the next owner when the new owner rezzes them, but not while they're still in the box, at least not that the main inventory database is aware of.

It may be that something's changed recently in the way things are fetched from the main inventory database that's making the issue show up now in certain circumstances when it didn't do before; I don't know, but llGiveInventoryList hasn't changed its behaviour recently that I've noticed, and there's nothing in the jira about it.

Checking the perms with the items rezzed, and repacking the boxes with the rezzed objects, removes the possibilty that it's a problem with the perms as seen by the viewer being out of synch with the perms as seen by the inventory database.    If there's still a problem after that, then something's seriously wrong.

Hey Mickey, i have not discovered a solution however....i have spoken to other merchants who have been all of a sudden recently having this same problem. I never had this issue before either, nor have I changed anything about my boxes, it just suddenly started happening. So...it can only assume it is an SL glitch as we are not the only one and it all seems to be happening around this same time period. Hope this helps :)

I think it's a recent glitch, because those boxes have not been changed for months and months, and sell every day.  So it's not something new with the way it was packaged.  One of the gals buys a lot of stuff from me, so not sure if it's region related either, since she got the other stuff fine.

I know one thing, though....when people are new to your store, and all they get is an empty box with a LM and a notecard - the messages are not super pleasant!  It makes very bad impression.

• 2 months later...

Am glad this isn't just me, I purchased an outfit a few days ago and went to unpack it yesterday.  All the contents showed in the box but somewhere between the box and my inventory they just dissapeared into the ether. 24 hours later and the objects haven't appeared back in the box or in my inventory....Never had this happen in 4 years and I really hope it gets fixed

This seems to be quite old thread already but we have had a lot this kind of problems last weeks. Several customers tell that they have totally lost all item of purchase. And they really had them before. Maybe need to try find in JIRA has something about this. It begins to get annoying enough now..

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi. i realize this is a super old thread, but this is happening to me now too.

All my items are copy (and marked as copy WHILE rezzed inworld, before being taken into my inventory)

In the last few weeks, I have some very angry and disgruntled customers. When the bags are rezzed on the ground and the contents looked into, you can see that all of the items are there. However, when the scripts unpack the bags, they get either nothing but an empty folder...or they only get parts of an outfit with other parts missing.

This is really frustrating because I have hundreds of items packaged and I don't remember which ones I used the unpack scripts in and which ones are boxed up the old fashioned way. This would mean taking EVERYTHING down and reboxing it all. But worst of all...are all the customers who think I am a flake now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.