Mesh biggest problems - please fix it soon - people vote!

MaxTux Wonder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Problems with meshes in SL:

1 - When you unwear any mesh avie, if the joint points are different from your standard avie, you can get a shrink problem on your avie.
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2402
workaround: relog.

2 - If you use "Lights and swadows" new feature, sometimes mesh will not shows up.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2779
workaround: change your graphic settings, try to check/uncheck "hardware skinning" feature.

3 - If your internet provider is applying "traffic shaping" on your internet connection, and you have problems with streaming, big meshes will not rez at all
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2810
workaround: play secondlife in hours when there is not traffic shaping on your internet connection.

4 - when you resize your avie very tall the feet do not touch the ground, i tried to work around this issue making a z offset of the avie, but do not works if the avie is very tall

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2403

workaround: do not make your avie too much tall

Please builders add your reports to this topic so i can check and vote too...

MaxTux Wonder wrote:

1 - When you unwear any mesh avie, if the joint points are different from your standard avie, you can get a shrink problem on your avie.

workaround: relog.

Looks like you've gotten some Linden attention on this one already, which is good.  I've actually never been able to get joint positions to work at all, so I guess that's my addition to the list.

That said, it's the one feature of mesh support in SL that I really haven't invested much effort into (just haven't had the specific need for it yet), so it's very possible I'm just doing something wrong.  Sooner or later, I'll spend some serious time on figuring out what the problem is.  For now, I'll just call it a minor annoyance.

MaxTux Wonder wrote:

2 - If you use "Lights and swadows" new feature, sometimes mesh will not shows up.

workaround: change your graphic settings, try to check/uncheck "hardware skinning" feature.

I've been able to replicate the results of your video.  It only happens if the attached mesh has an alpha texture on it, and then only if you enable lighting and shadows AFTER the mesh is already attached. If it's already on, there's no issue.

I agree it's a problem, and that it should certainly be fixed.  However, I don't necessarily see it as quite as immediately important as you seem to.  I'm not in the habit of switching lighting schemes very often.  I tend to keep the same settings all the time.  I just always assumed most other people did likewise.

In your comments on the JIRA you erroneously referred to the association with alpha textures as "related to PNG textures".  So you understand, that would be completely and utterly impossible, since there's no such thing as a PNG in SL.  All uploaded textrures are converted to JPEG2000 format immediately prior to upload, regardless of source format.

Also, even if the source images were actually uploaded (which I'll repeat is NOT the case), there still wouldn't be any way to associate display behavior with any particular file type.  Your graphics card has no idea what a PNG is, or even what a file is, in the traditional sense.  All it knows about in this context is pixels.  It has no way of being able to care whether the color and transparency information that comprises any particular pixel happened to have been stored in any particular file format before it was put into active memory for processing. 

A lot of people are under the mistaken impression that textures sourced from PNG are somehow different from others.  They're absolutely not.  It just happens that PNG is a little more prone to user error.  Because PNG supports multiple forms of transparency, it's easy to include transparency by mistake.  If so much as a single pixel is less than 100% opaque, you end up with a 32-bit texture.  TGA doesn't have this problem, since the only way to include an alpha channel in a TGA is to put it there deliberately.

Either way, there's no such thing as a "PNG texture" or a "TGA texture" or anything else of the kind, once the image has been uploaded to SL.  Every texture in SL is JPEG2000.

MaxTux Wonder wrote:

3 - If your internet provider is applying "traffic shaping" on your internet connection, and you have problems with streaming, big meshes will not rez at all

workaround: play secondlife in hours when there is not traffic shaping on your internet connection.

That's unfortunate, if it's indeed happening.  I'm not sure what LL can do about it, though.  If your ISP is getting in the way, they they're the ones who need a stern kick in the arse.  If there are options where you live, I'd suggest taking your business to a better ISP.

Your listed stats on the JIRA page for this issue show 21% packet loss.  That's insane.  More than one out of every five packets transmitted from the server to you and vice versa aren't getting through.  If your ISP is blocking all that on a regular basis, I would suggest you sue them.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure your assessment of how the problem works makes sense.  I believe you that it's happening, but I think your analysis is likely flawed.  I'll explain.

You claimed that if your download speed is throttled to 200 kbs, and a mesh asset is 201kb, then it won't show up.  I just can't see your logic there.  If it's 201 instead of 200, then all that SHOULD happen is the asset will simply take 1.005 seconds to download, instead of 1 second.  If your ISP is blocking files above a certain size, that's one thing, but I have hard time believing it's so directly related to bps like that.  (That's not to say it's impossible, of course.  It's just very unlikely.)

I realize you might have just picked the numbers at random, to make the point, but just in case you didn't, we should probably address the fact that 201 kilobits is only 25 kilobytes.  I'd wager that even your low-LOD models contain more data than just 25K.

MaxTux Wonder wrote:

4 - when you resize your avie very tall the feet do not touch the ground, i tried to work around this issue making a z offset of the avie, but do not works if the avie is very tall

workaround: do not make your avie too much tall

I'll offer a second workaround.  Use an animation override, to lift the avatar up a bit.  People have been using this technique to make mechs, and other large scale avatars, for years. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.