The trouble with mesh clothes designing

Sophia Trefusis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there an understandable tutorial for mesh rigging out there? I tried following one on youtube...It was difficult to follow.

I come to a certain step...then it becomes horribly complicated. Would really like to master it. It could bring my designs to another level. I  can see the possibilities and I want it so bad.

Figured out how to make the 3d models at least but...

My textures and designs have been complimented in the past,but now I feel like from being one of the top designers in my part of the sl. (well in historial  rp anyway) I could very well end up becoming a thing of the past.

Its quite well to announce "weve got mesh! woooo!" But there is no official tutorial,everyone is left to figure it out on their own.I feel quite downtrodden and depressed :/

Is this end of my building? I hope not.

Ha oh nooo.

If you use that default Avatar files it´s simple.

Create the clothes, adjust, select clothes and the rigged (bones) and blender does all the work. No need to rig them on your own; in most cases.

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avatar-workbench/

You can "copy weights" to your creations but we know how SL-Skirts look like :matte-motes-sick:

Monti

3D can be complicated, there are more steps than with most software used by the average modern day person! So, pat yourself on the back for spinning the webs and smooshing stuff in a 3D program, you are digging way deeper than most do. The discovery via behind the scenes videos is fun, but truly rolling up ones sleeves and digging into the software is much harder, but more easy as you go along.

I don't want  to be like "keep at it, spend 20 hours a day on this! Sleep with tutorials playing thier audio into your dreams and with a mouse in one hand under your pillow!!!" because...frankly, computers take a lot of my time up and I just walk away sometimes! I can't spend all day (literally, most of my working ours!) working at 3D stuff that seems to take other 2 hours to do! So, don't be defeated...but then again, maybe it is good to get a break from all this crazyness of 3D! It is inherently harder, it is also easier for some things!

I remember reading that animation is like cutting a lawn of grass with a pair of scissors! It is a qoute, but I don't remember it...hand drawn animation is very demanding in some ways. So, I see 3D modelling as hard BUT, since the assets can be used so quickly to make thousands of hours of animation to entertain people (they make it themselves with the aid of the item...but, still...it is an important part of the fun!) ....well, we have a lawn mower with a nice engine! It is not so bad, it works a bit better than we might want to admit sometimes...we are not as dumb as we feel when learning 3D. All of this is more or less a very humble opinion, but anyway....sort of makes sense. Sadening at times, but there are rewards and there are way more frustrating or time consuming ways to waste a few hours!

Sophia Trefusis wrote:

Well..there is definetely smoshing
;)

Ive always prided myself on not being afraid to try new things in designs.... so it frustrates me so to think I might fall behind.

Keep going on learning, don't give up. There is a reward after the initial shock of 3D design. :matte-motes-smile:

I have many years background as an industrial designer. We use parametric NURBS based 3D program to design things. I'm very fluent in it by now, it's like a second nature to use it.

I got interested in mesh when it was implemented in Second Life. I learned that one needs to use polygonal modeller to create models for SL. First times when I opened Blender I was completely lost. How can one design anything with this thing? Shock and horror! Make things with polygons, cubes, surfaces, vertices, lines, and what not... :smileysurprised:

I opened the program many times and just stared at it without understanding much of it. Finally I started to look at some excellent videos what the net is full of. Gradually polygon modelling world started look "not so terribly unfamiliar world" after all. :smileyhappy:

• Like 1

I will keep it in mind. Thanks for trying to cheer me up.

Of course you can always learn something new (I have to admit my ignorance of what NURBS is though) and I want to be able do it very much.So thats a motivation ;)

I have a friend who has managed to rig clothing and told me I could ask for help...but shes on a different timezone so its hard to get in touch :/

In the meanwhile I am struggling to comphrehend Blender.Wondering why Blender wont acknowledge that I have the Python thing installed. Did they fall out with each other or something?

What are the best paid or free progams for making SL mesh?

Also are there any online schools for teaching this?

It seems it would be much easier to have a tutor who gave assignments and answered questions.

And please no one say that "I toughed it out, you have to also." 

That is just rude.

I managed to upload a mesh skirt that moves with me :D. It was hell to get it to work though.And its ugly..but it moves and is a mesh. But it was an experience.

I am using Blender...thats free.

I agree about not saying to people they have to "tough it out". I taught myself how to make clothes for SL, to texture and make flexi skirts etc.

But I would never say something rude like that  that to another person. I like to help out where I can..to a degree. People have to do some things for themselves or else its someone elses work. I had a girl who I helped out who at the beginning I was happy to be of assitance to...but soon she IM-ed me constantly asking about everything.

Like "How did you do this" How did you do that?" For EVERYTHING. In the end she opened a shop and put out her designs for sale. Only when I say her designs...I mean she copied others. Without my permission she copied my custom made textures,copyboted another designers skirts and so on. So that was pretty bad.

I think that there are classes out there..no idea where though :/

Oh that's awful Sophia. 

it is possible that bad experiences with bad students are what make some turn away from 'teaching' in SL. (But) I have had bad experiences "helping newbies" but I will still do it on occasion. 

It was very kind of you to help her. It's very unfortunate that she exploited the situation and was less than appreciative of your own time and energy. A question here or there is fine, or ideally an agreed upon block of time here or there for which the teacher is compensated in some way. But to continually IM someone at all hours, is unacceptable.

And then of course, copybotting and stealing textures is criminal.

I do not do any of those things. I just want to learn.

Oh,Im sorry I didnt mean to imply you were...

Well I am a little less trusting than before but if I help someone its because they are a genuine friends or just hopelessly newbie ;)

But its like the real world...we cant like everybody. Too bad you had such experiences >:(

I found rigging a little less harder now...But still a totally (hopelessley)newbie lol At the moment my Blender is acting up,but im sure there will be a solution to be found.

Are you thinking about getting into making mesh?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.