You can send email into SL to a prim; what about emails to Avatars' IM windows?

Domitan Redenblack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unlike objects, agents do not have fixed e-mail addresses within SL, so you can't send an in-world e-mail message to an avatar.  A script can always send an IM to an avatar, however, and that will show up in the IM window. It's not clear to me why you wouldn't just do that.

ETA:  Of course, if you did want to send such a message, you could just send the e-mail to a scripted HUD and have the HUD retransmit the message as an IM.  Clumsy, but it ought to work.  I still don't know why you'd want to do it, though.

Rolig Loon wrote: I still don't know why you'd want to do it, though.

When I am not in SL (horror!) I sometimes do want to send an IM to a friend without having to launch my viewer (and appear in-world).

You can send an email to:

<UUID>@lsl.secondlife.com

So it just seems that if the UUID were for an Avatar, that should work as well. No technical reason why it should not, just that Linden didn’t think of it, or perhaps  didn’t want it.

A HUD would not work, if I am not there, but I could leave a prim around to accept emails, parse them, and send them on to IMs (local Chat though, NOT actual IM windows for avatars, right?)

Just a hassle when you have the UUID of your friend already.

• Like 1

-----------------------------------------

So it just seems that if the UUID were for an Avatar, that should work as well. No technical reason why it should not, just that Linden didn’t think of it, or perhaps  didn’t want it.

-----------------------------------------

Didn't you just start a thread about a 4% drop in the hours spent in-world for Q3?  Why do you suppose giving users a way to carry on an IM session (a function to enhance one's in-world experience) without logging in to SL?  I wonder if that 4% would be 6% (or more) drop if such abilities were provided? 

I think LL delibrately left that ability out of the code........that would be bad for business.

I haven't looked into it, but you can definately send an email to an avatar. I think it's done by replying to an IM that went to your mailbox. Not sure what the exact adress for any avatar is, but it ends with @im.agni.lindenlab.com and it's always the same for any avatar.

EDIT... Not always the same, still you can reply to these mails... I'm not really interested in it, but anyone who is, might want to play around with it.

You can reply to an IM for 5 days - then the session expires - the e-mil adress is thus only valid for 5 days after you have received a message from inworld.

I think there are basically 3 solutions for what you want:

• use a text viewer - you will find one for most platforms (Win, Mac OS, iOS, Android, Linux)
  • use an inworld prim and script as a relay to send emails to that generates IMs
  • use a little web application and http-in (this would make the management of the UUIDs (or identities) a little easier)

Yeah, I often reply to offline IMs by email; I think that works for 4 or 5 days after the IM to which you respond was sent.

But in Domitan's position --  "When I am not in SL (horror!) I sometimes do want to send an IM to a friend without having to launch my viewer (and appear in-world)"  -- now I simply go to https://my.secondlife.com/, find my friend's profile, click on the "message" button, and send them a Private Message.   This shows up as a notification in-world and also as an email for them, as well as leaving something in the messages section of their profile.

• 6 years later...

I didn't see a clear example so i wrote a "email post office script"

integer testMode;
string nameData;
key tempKey;
key nameQueryKey;
string eMsg;
string eAddress;

default{
    state_entry() {
        llSay(0, "Send email to: " + (string)llGetKey() + "@lsl.secondlife.com with UUID of avatar in the subject line");
        llSetTimerEvent(5.0);
    }

email(string time, string address, string subject, string msg, integer num_left) {
        if (llGetSubString(address, -19, -1) == "@lsl.secondlife.com") msg = llDeleteSubString(msg, 0, llSubStringIndex(msg, "\n\n") + 1);

if (llGetSubString(subject,14,14)=="4" && llStringLength(subject)==36) {  // it's UUID but is avatar???
            eMsg = msg;
            eAddress = address;
            testMode = 1;   // We will test the validy of the UUID given
            nameData = "";   // set to nothing.. and see if i can raise a dataserver name request
            tempKey = (key)subject;
            nameQueryKey = llRequestDisplayName((key)subject); // the only way to test valid Avatar UUID
            llSleep(3.0);
        }

if(num_left) llGetNextEmail("", "");
    }

dataserver(key queryid, string data) {if (nameQueryKey == queryid ) nameData = data;}

timer() {
        llGetNextEmail("", "");
        if (testMode) {   // Check the contents of nameData to see if UUID was valid
            if (nameData) llRegionSayTo(tempKey,0,"Email from " + eAddress + "\n" + eMsg);
            else llEmail(eAddress, "Avatar not found", "Your message to " + (string)tempKey + " failed.");
            testMode = 0;
        }
    }
}

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.