Can I make a Pose Ball or do I have to script one?

Lennon Neox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am still researching this issue because it is one of great importance to me. I recently created a pose that I would like to upload and place into a pose ball for a vehicle, which is a bike. I have been searching online for anyone that may have asked this question already but have not found anything. So forgive me if I am asking a question that may have already been answered.

The question is this, is it possible to just create a sphere, alter it's size, set the object to sit, sit on the object with the animation file in the object, set the rotation to orientate the avatar to sit the way I want it, and just make a script to just play the animation?

OR

Do I have to make the pose ball size and script all these features from scratch?

What I am simply trying to do is have my avatar sit on the object, rotate it so the avatar is facing the direction I want it to, and keep the settings, but everytime I re - rez the object and click on sit, it does not sit me in the same position I had it before. I want to try and understand what it is that I may be doing wrong, so please include your criticism, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I will try this out and let you know how it turned out. It seems that no amount of studying is helping me to wrap my head around the LSL language. Do you have any info about why an object will not save it's rotation when altered to sit the avatar in the right direction?

I just wanted to add a little more info for those is are in-experienced like me, and need a layman translation of certain things that go on in Second life as far as scripting.

Also, in the part were it asks "llgetinventoryname", do I replace "INVENTORY_ANIMATION" with the name of my animation?

Thank you all so much, I did also come across Doras post in the process of my research. Thanks all. I also wanted to keep this thread alive so I will bring feedback periodically. I find it very strange that there are not many videos on the subject since building a pose ball is very vital to vehicles.

Also Sven, I actually took the pose ball script that you gave me and inserted it in the proper states and it works. I will still try out Dora's Script, I am just ashamed that I could not figure this out on my own, but Thankful that there are people like you all that try to take the frustration out of peoples live and make it as easy as possible. I will look up these functions and make a list of the ones that I feel I may need to use, that way I don't get lost in the wiki's. Thanks guys. Now I just need to load up an animation. I cry here if I run into any further problems.

There really isn't much need for a tutorial or a video.  Making a poseball is one of the easiest tasks you can do as a beginning scripter and there are thousands of freebie poseballs in SL that you can use as examples.  BTW, you will find that most builders avoid poseballs completely in vehicles because they have to work within a 32 prim limit.  Instead of wasting one of their valuable prims on a poseball, they incorporate the sit script into the vehicle's main script.

You don't need a poseball.   You can achieve exactly the same effect, and save a prim and have a better looking vehicle, by putting the animation in the root prim of the bike, adjusting the rider's position using llSitTarget(), and letting the main bike script handle animating the rider.  

That's a more sensible way all round, to my mind, since the main bike script has got to plenty of stuff anyway when the rider sits down or gets off -- it might as well handle the animations at the same time.   That's the way vehicle scripts normally work.   And my strong suspicion is that if and when you get round to putting a vehicle script in your motorbike, that's going to fight with the poseball.

There's a very good, very old, script buried in the old Scripting Library by Cory Linden, which is a heavily commented example of how to make a basic motorbike script.   It's what started to learn about vehicles from.   I'll drop you a copy in world.

Thanks for the tip. Thats what I figured I would have to do. I guess it would be easy for others, me... Well I barely knew what half of those functions were supposed to do, but I can distinguish how to use if and else statments as well as make sensors, I just have not explored in the field of the lindens vehicle functions.

I will take time to test them all out to see what each one does and how they would work for me. I love to customize and make my own stuff, but it drives me insane when I am not sure which function to use. I'll get understand it more eventually.:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

Here is an update on what has happened thus far. Sven's suggestion to copy and past the script he posted was good, but it did not sit me correctly as I would hope, However, the script you showed me has a lot of details, and I will look at them and understand how each one will work.

On the subject of the script that Dora created, I have not gotten a chance to implement it yet, but the one method by far has helped me was Innula, using this simple sit target script that she provided helped me sit directly on the pose ball. After which I was able to adjust by use of the rotation tools in the build window.

That does not mean I have not learned or think that anyone elses contribution is better. I was able to take something positive from each of the scripts and techniques you provided.

I will update this thread if I have any more questions.

Well, you say it's a bike. By bike, I have no idea what you mean. Bicycle? If it is a bicycle, and you want it to actually be ridable, then you should use a zhao or similar script. This turns the bike into an AO, from which you will have to add numerous animations for all the different overrides.

Just a quick update for anyone that may come across this forum looking for very useful info in regards to making poseballs. Honestly, I have recieved helpful advice from each of these members here, but the only to create your poseball is to experiment with the objects and script functions yourself.

However, I would suggest looking for a sit target editor such as "Easy Sit Target Setter". What is a "Sit Target" you ask. A sit target is a parameter that defines where exactly the avatar is sitting on the object. In a script, this function is set by using "llSitTarget", which the user can define by entering the desired x, y, and z coordinates.

Do keep in mind that if you are going to define the sit target, you should define it on a root prim, especially if you are creating a vehicle. As well make sure that the Root Prim is at zero rotation when you do set the sit target, so that way the avatar won't be sitting upside down, or lob-sidded or what have you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.