Why do i see Players with last names other then resident that are younger then my Resident act?

Hidekie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

There are still a few open private  portals into SL that have both first and last name choices. Linden Labs closes those down when they find them, but if you are a good Google sleuth you can probably find one or more. I did an experiment a few weeks ago and found one in about fifteen minutes. And no, I don't know where it is any longer. I had a major computer melt down and lost lots of data and even my STICKY NOTES!!! Oh no.

FYI --- when LL originally decided to have players only pick a first name, they were going to let them pick a last name at a later date. The theory was that folks got too confused having to pick both first and last names. That plan went by the wayside though. I know not why.

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Hidekie

Various educational establishments, libraries, organisations, have an arrangement with Linden Lab, and until very recently, it was possible to google these websites and set up a brand new account with a (limited range) of surnames.  However, LL are "onto us" :matte-motes-silly: and although it is still possible to create a new account with a last name through one of these websites, you do have to go through an extra process, to prove you do have an affiliation with that particular educational establishment/organisation.

The CEO, Rodvik Linden has spoken recently about the possibility of last names returning to Second Life. In the meantime, you can add your vote, and comments, to this JIRA.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7125

Edited to add  ... (taken from CEO's public feed https://my.secondlife.com/rodvik.linden )

identity.jpg

I wanted to respond to Marigold's post , but didn't see how -- as there ARE open portals out there where no "extra steps" are required.    Yes, there are -- you just have to find one :D.   It seems like they are from a time when SL was actively opening portals for schools, libraries and such. 

It is good to know that the last name fisasco is being looked at again though. That will make lots of folks very happy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.