Is it possible to change the default direction the camera points?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read something that made me think it would be interesting to place the camera just in front of my face instead of above and behind my head because it might make SL seem more of a first person experience instead of a third person one.  When I moved it as far forward as possible with the position slider, it was still too far back, so I had to use the field of view slider to move it a little farther.  I was able to get it in just the right position, but the camera was pointing downward too much, so that I only saw peoples from the knees down.  I could, of course, easily adjust the camera to point level.  However, What I want is the DEFAULT position to be right, because it really is handy to just hit escape after camming around to return the camera to its normal position.

Thinking about this made me wonder what the SL experience would be like if the camera could not be moved around.  Camming is so handy for a lot of things that having the ability to do it assures that we will do it.  I know our experience would be different.  In some ways it would be worse---shopping a large store would take longer.  I think it would be better in some ways, too.  I know it would be interesting to try.  Probably it would not be good to make such a thing, grid-wide, but it could be a parcel option, so there could be places where you actually have to get close to a person or thing to see its details.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.