Is there a fix for graphics?

Freecilla Kuhn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, is there some way of fixing these graphic distortions or do I have to wait for the next viewer release and hope that does it? I am on a mac, I have cleared cache, changing graphics and environmental settings etc. The problems are: 1.) No sky. 2.) All land textures in all sims are different. 3.) Transparent objects can be seen and any object with shine, glow or transparencies change textures rapidly to any other texture in the sim or on someone's av, (flickering). 4.) Some textures are brighter than they should be for no reason.

before-after.jpg

Oh no, highlight transparent is not on, (I can turn it on and off though) that ball is just picking up another texture from the sim. If I zoom my camera closer the red disappears and is replaced with another texture, rotate camera and another texture goes on it and all other prims with some transparent or shine.

Are you still running Leopard? There were major changes needed to the viewer's innards recently, partially to make Lion happy, and people who still run Leopard are having problems. If you go into "Help" and cut and paste what is under "About Second Life" into a post we may be able to offer more advice.

Second Life 3.2.4 (246439) Dec  8 2011 14:14:27 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 282144.0, 265549.0, 24.8 in Sialimonus located at sim8896.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.41.72:13002)
Second Life RC LeTigre 11.12.12.246583
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU     E8335  @ 2.66GHz (2660 MHz)
Memory: 2048 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 Darwin 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.0 ATI-1.5.48

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with GCC version 40001
Packets Lost: 4/37837 (0.0%)

Frecilla - I'm afraid you have a perfect storm of graphics problems with the latest viewer - an ATI video card using old drivers running under MacOS Leopard.

First of all, go to www.amd.com and under Drivers and Support download and install the latest video drivers for your system. If you have problems after that (and you probably still will) go into "Preferences - Graphics" and click the "Hardware" button. Uncheck the box that says "Enable OpenGL VBO's" or something like that.

You may still have problems because you're running Leopard. Actually, in your case it might be simpler to download a third-party viewer from before mesh was introduced, like Phoenix 1.5.

All the texture switching is from the video card getting confused about what is cached in video ram and mixing things up. Theresa's advice is good. 

The problems are known. I don't keep up on Mac fixes. So, you may want to search this form for more information. 

If you want a viewer with a newer interface than Phoenix's, you might want to try Niran's Viewer. See: Niran’s Viewer Finalized Review. It has a unique user interface, but it is based on the Shining Branch of Linden viewer development. This is the branch where the render problems, like yours, are being fixed. It is not providing viewers for daily use. While it has the newest video fixes, it lacks many of the other fixes found in the Development and Beta viewers. It may get you by until the fixes wind their way through testing to the Beta and Main viewers.

If you are having problems, using the Beta, Dev, and Shining versions can help the Lab get them fixed. The crash reports are automatic help. If you are not crashing, you need to look for JIRA's to add to or file new ones.

When you run into a problem like this try the Beta version of the viewer, then next try the Development version, and as a last try, the Shining viewer.

Thank you for your help. I did do the clear cache many times to no avail however as of now the texture flashing has stopped, they are all correct textures now and all correct transparencies too, this morning no but now yes, yaaay!

The only odd thing now is the ground textures are still wrong. It seemed to occur after the last set of sim restarts, (I think). My sim is all rocks but it should be grass fading to sand down on the beach and my neighbor the Linden ocean sim is all green green grass on the beach and under the water too in Theornaby, the whole sim but the other new Linden ocean Sims past it are sand as they were before, (maybe the other new ocean Sims didn't get restarted at Kingpost, Funnel and Scar since they are new?). Oh I almost forgot, the map is still all white too.

But also I really want to use the SL viewer because I want to see things as new people see them so I know what I built is consistent with them and I think they always have to get the newest SL viewer when they start up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.