Seeing the "Requesting Region Capabilities, Attempt 1...2...3" message when loading game

Camille Kestrel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a very perplexing issue which me and my friends cannot resolve.  Here are the details in point form for easy reading:

1) I'm using a brand new MacbookPro Version 10.7.2 and log onto the internet through my home WIFI.  

Ever since I first downloaded SL, I have been having these issues- I'm stuck on one sim and cannot teleport, I cannot see neighbouring sims, the names from my friends list appears as "loading...", and I cannot hear voice chat.  Other than that, everything else functions smoothly.  I must note that when loading up SL, the screen says, "Requesting Region Capabilities Attempt 1..2..3.."

2)  I have an old Dell laptop which i had SL downloaded on it from May of 2011.  I connect to SL using my home WIFI, and SL works perfect, without any issues.

3)  As an experiment, I brought my MacbookPro to my friends house (about 30kms away), and connected to SL through her WIFI, and SL worked perfectly, without any issues (this is what baffles me).

4)  At the suggestion of friends, I have attempted to use alternate viewers, and even connecting my MacbookPro using an ethernet cable (as opposed to using my home WIFI), but without any luck.

Is there anyone here that could possible give me any pointers??

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I see the same issue when I connect to SecondLife via a 3G router. So the question is does the router or the ISP filter any ports / protocols that this request depends on. 

Does anyone happen to know what exactly goes on in this request to the server? 

Since the region requests fail, it is not possible to upload mesh. 

• 5 months later...
  • Lindens

Camille, if you could go to this Jira reply:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25627?focusedCommentId=335819#

and answer the three questions and attach your SecondLife.log file, that would be a good start. Or as a reply to the following Jira which has a link to information on finding this file:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7248?focusedCommentId=303129

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problems on SecondLife version 3.6.4.280048.

Symptoms:

1) When logging in, I see the "Requesting Region Capabilities, Attempt 1..2..3" message.

2) After I'm logged in, I don't see any names on Avataars.  Even in the public chat. I only see their icons.

4) I can't Teleport to any place, after starting at <whatever location I choose to start at>. My viewer crashes when I try to Teleport.

However, I think this is happening to a lot of people today. Is it just Sunday craziness? (I haven't been on SL on a Sunday in a long long time, btw)

Do I need to report this in the bug? Seems like this should be a KI with so many having problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.