3D Software Import/Export

BlacksunN8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I have a question about the import and export possibilities in second life nowadays. I usually create my structures in 3ds max.  My problem is, i dont know how to get my creations into second life.. I have seen a few highly complicated or time consuming tutorials on youtube and im wondering if there are easier ways available ? Or is there really no common way to do that? Well, that would be a shame..

Maybe using another program? Im also familiar with sketchup, Blender or Cinema4D (if there are better possibilities?). The thing is Im using custom baked textures on my interiors so it would be great to import it all in one go. Dont want to rebuild every part inworld again.. Or is this still the only way? Doing the same work twice ? :)

Thanks in advance for answering.

Blender or any other program will have the exact issues as 3ds max will..my adice would be to look into exporting as mesh, that will save you a lot of resources. But you can upload prim builds from max, using maxport or maxproxy, forgot which of the two. As far as I can remember they are part of primcomposer... I did it once or twice, pretty straight forward as I recall it.

Blacksun, we can now import mesh objects. Meaning, the mesh, material, uv mapping and all. You just have to export your creation as a collada file or DAE file. Plus, your creation will probably need some adjustments or other work to fit all the requirements of a reasonable SL build. This means that your models is calculated to see how much data and stress it puts on the system and give it a Land Impact score and display score. Land impact is the prims ammount that the object uses. The display cost is just a score based on the resources the object uses. Checkout the Mesh section of the forums for more info.

Thanks guys for the quick answer.

I just couldnt belive it but to be honest thats exactly what i expected :matte-motes-frown: A shame that its not really possible.. But okay. Then mesh could be the solution i guess. What about the display of mesh in old V1 based viewers? Big difference? Im asking because most people i see each day are still on non-mesh viewers like Phoenix.

Thanks.

Rage Riptide wrote:

Study some game design. Modeling for rendering is totally different to game modeling. Once you model for optimisation and not for glorious detail your on third base.

You missed the point!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.