nexgen second life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

in 2012 i will start a z-factor blog that will deal with second life/opensim/realXtend and how to get a real game client-server. i think second life and opensim is doing ok with meshes but it needs more though or more document.  i am in a group of mesh volunteers and 3/4 of the stuff are in peoples head and not in a document or some other way to know what it is.

for nexgen we need things like blender and ogre and see things that move and have game ai. not expensive tools like maya or 3DS max.  we need a client that can be adjust according to the game, like xml not hardwired.

realXtend has some interesting ideas but i have gotten even a tree up yet. so it will be a long time before i get a dragon up with all of its animation and interact with people, burning the village down and get a hero to bring it down.

so i think the next second life should have a sandbox (free or reduced cost), chatacters and animation on the server-side, materials, and game ai.  you probably have some ideas too.

I think SL needs more than just Blender. It needs it's own creation utility. We need the ability to create more complex objects within SL. Moving to creation using outside programs is moving towards complexity beyond the average user's willingness to understand. It's moving towards a Blue Mars style of complex creation by a few. And you see where that went. If it sounds like I want Linden Labs to build a better program than blender, daz3d, maya, etc., yes, that's exactly what I want.

or maybe a "go" button like in zbrush.  you can use maya or 3ds max with zbrush (back and forth) with just button press the goZ. in blender/maya/3ds ma there is a whatever2ogre button that does more -- you can actually see animation in your studio and see the results in realXtend.

the problem with grid-based second life or opensim is that they are nice if you want to homestead.  you buy a parcel or 8.  but if you want to see the world, maybe cell-based is better. active worlds has that. i dont know how it did and its if is still around.

when i join in 2007 i had one vision: to make sl a game world. that was at the time that LL talked aboutr making the server open source and the notion of 4 billion users. in 2008 that didnt happened.  fortunately there was opensim and realXtend, at their infancy.  the was other projects at sl including the hypergrid and dynamic animation. they are not in the server any more. even now, there is a guy that will make dynamic clothing for meshes although he doesnt work any more at sl.

the one thing that keeps me coming back to sl is the fact that their are people doing and willing to do things, even future things.

Simple content creation tools would be great but I'm not sure that the client would be the place for them because the additional code and resources necessary for them would make the viewer balloon in size and complexity. Personally, I'd be interested in user friendly stand-alone applications that would allow you to make things and then import them into the game. For example, the house and avatar building tools in the Sims series games and Spore are simple to use and quite powerful. I'd be interested in similar programs for Second Life that could make use of subassemblies and pieces that could be bought from others like textures and sculpts are  now. I loved building things in the Sims, but as I told a friend once in SL I can travel from one end of the world to the other in eight seconds but it takes five minutes for me to put a slice of watermelon in a bowl.

know that DAZ has a convertor for second life, but they dont have one for genesis and 4.0. if you look at sl cllient you will see a lot of files that make up the basic avatar. i think the convertor will have a new set in place of the original avatar.  its $99 so it is expensive to find out and with v3 there may be differences.

the prefab was used in the past in other games so it can be done.  DAZ has genesis and makehuman is only one figure so both of them know how to make the transition from one form to another. both of them are stingy on how to do things.

sims and spores has interesting concepts. it would be good to look at both. here is two  video of spore:

it interesting that we have two from EA now in sl.

will wright, the creator of sim and spore, had spore use generative techniques  -- procure generations. originally will wright called it simeverything but later spore (a working title) was pick. people like will wright came to sl to make it a better place. so i am hopeful that he and others will improve sl and the nexgen.  maybe it will be second life, or second  life twice or spore-everthing.  i was just joking about spore-everything. also joking about second life twice.

in computer graphics there is some stuff on generative techniques so that goes back to way long ago. but it took makehuman from 1999 to present to make their human, even DAZ took so long.  but i am certain that the is the way to go.

have a happy holiday.

yes, i have gotten 4,0 and will do some stuff with genesis in jan. makehuman is behind DAZ but both are going in the same direction.  one good thing about makehuman is that a lot of the stuff is in python. it doesnt make me sleepy like c++ does. but you have to make a naked body to import to blender. then you can add the clothes and attachments.  hahaha. in theory.

blender does not allow fbx but i think DAZ does. and maybe i have it wrong about dae.  i was reading the other day that some one had a fbx and converted to dae with the materials.  i havent seen that before so i dont know what they are doing. i got a scenebuilder for ogre yesterday so i dont have use realXtend.

for sl we have a extra file that looks like a material file.  i tried to get someone to explain to me what that is.  no other dae software use that. you have to keep it simple for me to understand it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.