Quick question from a newbie.

Viggo Crescendo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What up peeps? I made an account awhile ago but just started really playing SL. I was considering upgrading to premium account because of the house, land and LD's per month ya get. After looking around abit in the FAQ's I noticed something that kinda dosen't make sense to me and was hoping to get some help.

From what I have seen is that a premium account gets 512SQm of land and a house to put on it and an avarage monthly allowance of 1200 LDs. After looking some more I found the monthly land fees. Does the plot of land you get as a premium player get charged a monthly fee of about 1200 LDs? That just doesn't make sense to me, it's like saying to a kid here is your allowance but your rent is such and such. If I am reading this correctly can you postone the owning of your land or house to some later date? Or is it like take it now or lose it forever? Also are there any other perks that would make being premium better then just spending the same $10 USD a month and getting twice the LDs.

Any and all help is much appreciated and thanks for any responses in advance.

You get the 512 Sq m plot "free" with your Premium membership. You may use that 512 allowance to get land on the Mainland, or you can take a Linden Home, which is on a 512 sq m lot.  Either way, you have no other ongoing obligation for tha land.  The advantage of taking a Linden Home is that its prims don't count against the maximum of 117 prims that you can normally put on a 512 lot.  If you put your own house on a 512 lot of your own chosing, its prims do count.  But then you have a house that you might relly like better and you have picked your own neighborhood.  Balance in all things.

Is it "take it or leave it?"  No, you can wait for ages to get a Linden Home, if you want to.  Thing is, you can't get two free 512 sq m plots of land.  If you use your 512 on a plot somewhere else and then want a Linden home, you'll have to sell or abandon that plot first.

If you really want to figure all of this out, just start reading >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Premium-membership/ta-p/1054477  Follow your nose from there through all the linked KB pages that deal with Linden Homes.

There's a misperception about the Linden Home benefit that you can opt to take when becoming a premium member.  If you take the Linden Home offer, you get a Linden Home and the 117 prim allowance that every premium member, whether they go with the Linden Home or not, gets for the first 512 square meters of any plot of land that is located on a mainland continent.  The Linden Home does not include even one single meter of land......you get the home and that's all.  You get the 117 prims you would get if you did purchase 512 meters of mainland to use to furnish or decorate your home.  The land your Linden Home sits on is Linden Lab land.....you can not place any prim outside the foot print of the home, over the home, or anywhere but inside the walls or the perimeter of any patio/porch the home might have.

Any premium resident who purchases mainland plots or parcel gets the first 512 meter tier free......you do not have to pay any additional fees to LL.  If you opt for the Linden Home, you do not have to pay any additional fees to LL. You can do one or the other........purchase 512 meters for mainland and put your house/home (or whatever) on it without having to pay LL any additional fees or you can get a Linden Home.  You can't do both without having additional fees to pay to LL.  The major advantage of getting the Linden Home is that the home does not count against the 117 prim allotment so you get all 117 prims to use to furnish or decorate your home.  A plot of mainland you might purchase is different.........the prims that make up your home will count against the prim allotment (effectively allowing fewer prims for furnishing and decorating).  The disadvantages of a Linden Home is that you are restricted on what you can do......you need to read the covenant but basically you cannot place anything outside the footprint of the home (no plants or flower beds, or pretty fountains, no sky boxes, etc).  If you purchase a mainland plot you don't have those restrictions (basically almost anything goes).

First thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it :)

Think I understand now, if I take the Linden Home the house itself does not count toward the max prims for the land but then I would have to then buy my own plot of land and have monthly fees. Or I can take the 512 of land, not have any monthly fees (unless I purchase more land and go over the 512) but I would have to get my own house that does get counted toward the max prims for the land and thusly restrict what I can have rezed in the house. Think I got it, thanks for the help:)

One point of clarification.  If you decide to not take the Linden Hom and go with a plot on mainland, you have to purchase that land from either another resident or from Linden Lab (through the land auction, most likely).  The Linden Home is completely free........you do not have to purchase anything except what you might buy to furnish the home.

To offer an additional variation: (for, to LL)

Premium membership includes a Credit (Tier) for use of 512 square meters of land or less. The Credit (Tier) may be used to support a Linden Home, Or, to support 512 square meters or less of Land, in which the Land must be purchased seperately.

Viggo Crescendo wrote:

Think we were typing at the same time Freecilla, lol. So let me see if I understand ya,
if I were to say take the house then spend LDs to buy a plot of 512 land I still wouldn't have monthly fees right?

You can have a Linden Lab home in one of their subdivisions OR you can buy up to 512m of land outside their subdivisions without incurring fees ... but not both!

Example: I own 512m in LaserLight a G-rated mainland sim) ... I pay no tier. If I were to also take a Linden Home, I would have to pay tier for the 512m plot.

I could abandon the plot on LaserLight and get a Linden home and pay no tier.

Hello, Viggo,

You've been given very full answers regarding whether you should consider a Linden Home or a different parcel of land should you decide to go premium.

I would advise becoming familiar with Second Life, living in Second Life for a while, before even considering going premium, and then things start to fall into place naturally. 

When I became a resident of Second Life in November 2007, it was free, but the option was always there to become a premium member should I so wish.  At that time, I didn't know if I would be sticking around.  It was about two months later that I had become familiar with a particular sim on the mainland, and decided I would like to buy a parcel of land that became available, and at that point, for me, things fell into place, I became a premium member.

You never lose the opportunity of becoming a premium member, and you can also choose to downgrade back to being a free account at any time too.  The advantages of being a premium member are the sandboxes, which are really much more civilised places to be than the very busy regular sandboxes, although it is possible, through joining groups inworld, to find decent places in which to rezz boxes, and improve building skills. 

If you pay for your premium membership quarterly rather than monthly, it works out that you pay less overall, and you get the weekly stipend of 300L$, so I don't see it in quite the same way as you.  I'm not a kid getting an allowance and LL are not my mum and dad. I'm a paying customer of Second Life, and my premium fees go towards the upkeep of the servers our world is built on.  The 300L$ stipend they give me back goes some way to retaining my loyalty.

As I say, I do recommend you become much more familiar with the inner workings of Second Life, establish yourself as a regular visitor, explorer, builder, etc., and that moment will come (or not) when you will know whether to choose premium membership with a Linden Home, or as a 512m land owner (or more), or a premium member who decides not to own land.  Everything is very flexible, and all the decisions are our own.

And lets not forget.you do not have to be a premium member to have a home or rent a parcel of land . You can choose from literally thousand s of themed private estates, some will rent you a furnished home with personal prims, or rent you a plot of land to do your own thing.

Private estates , especially those run & managed by good landlords offer a lot more than mainland ie: a covenant or set of rules for all people living on the sim to abide for, unlike mainland where its mostly uncontrolled and you can end up enduring all sorts of really ugly builds on your doorstep.

:matte-motes-big-grin:

The homeless in SL don't need land or handouts. You don't end up sleeping under  bridge or in a cardboard box, and you don't have any trouble finding a way to carry all your stuff around.  You don't need food, there's a ton and a half of freebie clothing around, and you can create anything you want with your building tools.  I lived for my first three years in SL without a home and was quite happy.  You can be too.

There is no obligation about the house or the land.

When you are ready, you can choose either a Linden home, which has a house already on it plus the land and full 117 prims. No extra charge, just choose one from this website here and move in.

Or, you can go scout around and buy your own land. 512 meters of that land you buy has no tier attached to it.

That's pretty much it.

Rental properties (if you merely rent from another resident) do not affect your tier either way. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.