Sign in to follow this  
Xavier Darkstone

WOW Secondlife what happend

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

It was called "dwell" back then, and LL did pay owners on the strength of it. But it was before my time so I only know about it from forum posts.

That was probably why camping started. By the time I had use of traffic, there was no dwell, and camping was solely about the Places rankings. Any camping that's around today is either against the ToS or it's an owner being a bit generous - probably the former
:)

I dunno exactly what you all are talking about, but I have seen camping sims in the destination guide.  I typed in cheap rental when looking for a SL house, but what the search retrieved was a forced sex camping sim if you know what I mean -- the r word that has four letters and means forced sexual intercourse, and it said "camping" in the listing.  :matte-motes-shocked:

Needless to say I did not go there nor do I use lucky chairs as with Marketplace, I don't see the need.  There are quite a few 1 linden boots, earrings, free bracelets, necklaces, all kinds of stuff.  I got my rugs in my house for mostly 1 linden and the windows in my house were 1 linden.  My fav category on Marketplace though is the 10 to 100 linden category I believe it is; lots and lots of good promo deals for 99 lindens such as two dresses, shoes AND jewelry, and so much more, so why camp and/or get r*ped?  This I don't understand.   Direct people to MP instead of camping.  No thank you on the camping, like never. 

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

[snipped]  I do think the system needs to be revamped to run on a good-not-great computer, though. I'm sure there are ways to get SL to run on something other than a $1500-$2000 gaming rig. [snipped]

While it may not apply personally I do have to agree that in less than a year I've heard way too many statements to that affect. That SL graphics were virtually undistinquishable because of having to have extraordinarily low graphics. To be dismissive regarding it is to dismiss the larger share of the market.  Yes, it uses "gaming" graphics but is the larger market - a market who's dollars are needed to keep sl running - made up of more gamers or more surfers.

It was recently said that SL added the "following" features and whatnot hoping to draw the facebookers ; looking to appeal to that crowd BECAUSE of their numbers and the way they are dedicated to facebook. Is that a hardcore gamer? Or is that more likely to be someone with that walmart/officemax computer? Without being an expert I would venture the later.

So yes, I'd think some thought might be given as to how to work with that persons situation since given a choice -in particularly at these times- very few will say "well honey we're just gonna have to do without  at home cuz ya know , even though we already saved, budgeted and used the credit card on a computer we're satisfied with, we gotta forget that and go out and get that get that gaming rig so we can log on second life".

Xavier Darkstone wrote:

when i was talking about the age thing i meant to express that isolating the adult areas and at one time entering private info was indeed a liablity in my opinion.

I thought you said you were away from SL.

If that's the case, how has this even been something you've encountered?

And SL runs fine on a $300 PC. Nuff said there. Every single image you'll see posted by me in these and other forums and blogs from 2009 up to August of 2011 was made in SL on what is now a $300 Toshiba laptop (actually the current $300 one beats mine by leaps and bounds) - $500 when I bought it. In August I went nuts and bought a new Mac. BTW; my old 2003 iBook G$ Mac, can still run SL fine on viewer 1.2.3 (only reason for that limit is that v2 cut out the old Power PCs).

People who think they 'can't' run SL on a machine under $11,000.95 are just looking at Ultra settings and expecting 95 FPS... I run my laptop on medium settings and get from 15-30 FPS. The human eye works at about 24 FPS - so anything above that is just 'buffer' for when lag cuts you back down to 24, unless you're a pigeon (they have the best eyesight of any animal, as far as I know).

It sounds to me like you read some blog rants and made an opinion, but lack experience, or you never really left and are just saying that as a platform for the comments.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Since LL cracked down on gaming the traffic numbers, the people who used campers to increased traffic had no use for camping anymore......that should tell you just how much vendors and business owners were using you.  Did you really believe their reason to pay you to sit or dance or stand for hours was just to give you some Lindens?  Their motives were less than honorable in most cases.

That's a bit unfair, Peggy. Both campers and owners came out ahead. Campers were "using" the owners, every bit as much as the owners were "using" the campers. There was no dishonour in owners having campers on their land.

The problem is that camping was always a better opportunity for the camper.

The vendor got high traffic - off people who would pay them nothing for their legit goods.

The camper got an hourly wage about about 1-US-cent-per-hour for sitting AFK...

- That's basically a horrid wage, but the vendor got nothing in return...

Kudos to Peggy, basically covered most of my response.

Just to add - yes when I joined SL at the beginning of 07 I was on a T60 laptop, hooked into a neighbours wifi (naughty me) - that machine back then was way under published minimum specs but it still ran SL well enough for me to use. OK it was never going to be great graphic wise but funnily enough today its sitting here at my side happily running the latest TPV on a very small footprint install of Ubuntu. And yes the graphics are still minimal but it runs well enough to use for pretty much any day to day activities, even throwing the odd build together, when the main rig is busy processing something. Even thrown together some rough videos with it.  My main machine is no gaming rig either, costing about 700 bucks (ie cheap) over two years ago but again - graphics are adequate and frame rate is up around 15.

Never expected SL to hum like some mindless TP shooter  - those crawl for me anyway and bore me to tears =^^= I guess it depends on what you want out of it - of course as always get the best piece of kit you can for the money.

As for concurrency ... I remember much celebration when concurrency hit 15k and .....the grid stayed up.Quite remarkable.

Tier costs are not hidden - go in with eyes wide open. I got out of land owning a few years ago and now rent a place. We know what its going to cost us and we factor it in.

And remember - SL is still here. Compare to the others that tried and burned. Blessed solstice.

Nostalgia is just adorable.

Second Life never ran well on the majority of home machines.  I daresay it runs better today on a larger share of home machines than it did in 2006, many of those old klunkers having finally died off -- although there's always somebody who had a brand new machine in 2006 and wonders why its performance is no longer cutting-edge.

Also, there are several recent threads about this: anybody griping about tier and primcount who doesn't understand how to apply Mesh physics to their prims should STFU and catch up.

Camping always paid ridiculously poorly, but luckily now there's Linden Realms which is much more fun and pays much better.

The current age verification process--from anywhere in the world--is about as challenging as falling off a log.

Gambling never went away, not really.  It was turned into a monopoly, and appears only in a costume--the thinnest of veils--but it's still all over the grid.

Walmart should sell better computers. Computer manufacturers, like Dell, should not misrepresent the products  created by independent contractors at the lowest possible price with the cheapest possible materials.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Actually I get refurbished laptops with a 30 day warranty.. If my kitty would stop kocking the laptop on the floor., they would last longer..

Happy Holidays!!!

jennylongview Innovia wrote:

Walmart should sell better computers. Computer manufacturers, like Dell, should not misrepresent the products  created by independent contractors at the lowest possible price with the cheapest possible materials.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Actually I get refurbished laptops with a 30 day warranty.. If my kitty would stop kocking the laptop on the floor., they would last longer..

Happy Holidays!!!

I'd venture a guess and say all technology is built with the cheapest junk possible.  Occupy technology and build your own or run an ad in your local paper for a geek to build you a computer and offer a price of $100 to build it as it only takes a day to build a computer.

If you don't want to click on my link, simply type in your Google search bar how to build a gaming computer or how to build an acoustic pc, and ask Google other questions such as what is a power supply, etc.  People can save thousands this way and it is so much easier to upgrade with chips or other parts, etc.  Acoustic pc is merely a super quiet power supply, as most of the noise comes from the power supply if you build your own computer.

If people would just Google, I'd bet there are instructions on some website on how to build your own solar home and even with blueprints!   Need help fixing the kitchen sick, it's probably on Google somewhere. 

Viewer2_001.png

Viewer3_001.png

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Xavier Darkstone wrote:

when i was talking about the age thing i meant to express that isolating the adult areas and at one time entering private info was indeed a liablity in my opinion.

I thought you said you were away from SL.

If that's the case, how has this even been something you've encountered?

And SL runs fine on a $300 PC. Nuff said there. Every single image you'll see posted by me in these and other forums and blogs from 2009 up to August of 2011 was made in SL on what is now a $300 Toshiba laptop (actually the current $300 one beats mine by leaps and bounds) - $500 when I bought it. In August I went nuts and bought a new Mac. BTW; my old 2003 iBook G$ Mac, can still run SL fine on viewer 1.2.3 (only reason for that limit is that v2 cut out the old Power PCs).

People who think they 'can't' run SL on a machine under $11,000.95 are just looking at Ultra settings and expecting 95 FPS... I run my laptop on medium settings and get from 15-30 FPS. The human eye works at about 24 FPS - so anything above that is just 'buffer' for when lag cuts you back down to 24, unless you're a pigeon (they have the best eyesight of any animal, as far as I know).

It sounds to me like you read some blog rants and made an opinion, but lack experience, or you never really left and are just saying that as a platform for the comments.

I've attached two screen shots, the top is V2 based and the bottom is V3 based.  And while yes I know this is Firestorm, I assure you the results are the same with the official Linden Lab V3.  Unfortunately I don't have an official LL V2 to show you to do a comparison with.

If you are FINE with how SL is running for you, if that is acceptable for you, I think that is great FOR YOU.  But can you honestly tell me that a 50% drop in FPS is acceptable?  Mind you I think that some peoples rants get a little heavy handed also but I think I've got a pretty legitimate complaint here.

And as far as taking pretty pictures goes, I'll get the same results with either viewer so that is a moot point.

But the other question I'd ask is under what circumstances are you getting 15 FPS?  Do you get that at a semi busy SIM?  There were around 15 Avatars present where I took these shots.  At my home with no other Avatars present I get around 40 FPS on V2, 18 FPS on V3.  Again a big performance hit.

So my complaint is not a random rant...and really, if you read my prior OP's and posts about this problem, I have not ranted.  I am seeking solutions. But there are a lot of legitimate concerns out there that are being discounted as 'rants.'

Amaranthim Talon wrote:

I had to pop in in remembrance of Phil and Marcel and Gabrielle and the Bot Wars
Oh for the days of RA...

Hello Phil- hope all is good with you.

Yay!! \o/ hehehehe

Hey you =)

Amar!!! Very long time no see. I'd ask how you are, etc. but that sort of chat doesn't belong in threads.

Yep, those RA days were the good old days. I miss those "discussions". Heck, I would even be nice to Collete if we could have RA back :D

I'm not altogether keen on the phrase "in remembrance of" though. It sounds like we passed on, but we didn't lol

ETA:

Do you (and anyone else, such as Ceka) remember that thread started by a girl who wanted to stamp bots out. She asked for people to post sim names when they saw bots, and she added the sim names to her list in the OP. I won't describe the details of it but it was the funniest thread I've ever seen anywhere. I'm even laughing now that it's sprung to mind.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Amar!!! Very long time no see. I'd ask how you are, etc. but that sort of chat doesn't belong in threads.

Yep, those RA days were the good old days. I miss those "discussions". Heck, I would even be nice to Collete if we could have RA back
:D

I'm not altogether keen on the phrase "
in remembrance of
" though. It sounds like we passed on, but we didn't lol

ETA:

Do you (and anyone else, such as Ceka) remember that thread started by a girl who wanted to stamp bots out. She asked for people to post sim names when they saw bots, and she added the sim names to her list in the OP. I won't describe the details of it but it was the funniest thread I've ever seen anywhere. I'm even laughing now that it's sprung to mind.

LOL, I do!!!  I think that's the thread that started us talking, Phil.  We both felt so bad afterwards for egging her on :(

Phil Deakins wrote:

It might well have been, Kylie. I remember that I felt bad about it, but it was so very very irresistable
:D

Yeah...she was very naive & gullible :smileysurprised:

Phil Deakins wrote:

ETA:

OMG!! that was so hilarious that thread..I think it was Eli or something like that that started with all the names of sims..

I remember out of everyones sims she ended up thinking i was the only one that was making them up..all because i used two names for a sim and didn't connect them  lol

i remember some of us couldn't tell if we were the ones pulling her leg or she was pulling ours..hehehehehe

I've forgotten who started it. I do know that we rose to it very quickly - because it was brilliant! Eli rings a very vague bell. Whoever it was deserves a liftetime achievement award :)

I remember that, when people tried to tell her we were doing something, but without actually spilling the beans, she posted a couple of times that she knew what we were doing, and she sounded convincing, but she never realised. She just kept on adding the sim names. I don't know what she thought we were doing.

She thought you were the only one, Ceka? I wonder how she got that impression lol

Aren't reminiscences wonderful? :D

I remember that thread.  There were some very creative sim names being concocted.  I remember laughing out loud to some of them.  

do you guys remember the name of that thread?

i remember it had gotten locked..but i think it was still archived hehehe

plus i believe she was in another thread that a linden had made..

OMG!!! i found it!! lol

it would have really been epic if she had kept the names in the order that they came in..this way we could see what everyone was saying withthe names..but they are still kind of funny out of order..but the posts are still there  with them in order lol

this is how names were given and what kicked off the whole thing..

Eli posted up:

Please add the following regions to the list.

Discuss
Asmuch
Aspossible

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/d4/303537/1.html

ROFL....that's it!!!  Ok, let me go read :matte-motes-silly:

Good job!

ETA:  I love the listings under "I"  :matte-motes-oh-rly:

ETA2:  Gee, so good to see some of the old names.  Damien, Brenda, Bradley, Arielyn, Skell, to name a few...hope they are all doing great :)  Thanks Ceka for finding this.

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

ETA2:  Gee, so good to see some of the old names.  Damien, Brenda, Bradley, Arielyn, Skell, to name a few...hope they are all doing great
  Thanks Ceka for finding this.

i see Brenda pop up over at SLU in threads..also Argent and a few others .hehehehe

Argent is still a ferret and i hope he always is hehehe

i loved his ferret pictures he used to post up in RA..they always fit well and made me laugh and giggle at their cuteness

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.