My wireless connection always freezes (but just for SL). Suggestions?

makaname Hermit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Wireless is never recommended for SL. I use wireless and don't have any problems, but you need a very strong, very stable connection in order to properly run SL because it is constantly streaming new information. It may run other programs fine, but SL is an entirely different ballgame.

My only recommendation is that you not use wireless when playing SL. I'm sure someone else will have better advice.

Don't use wireless. It is not inherently stable enough for the sort of use that SL demands, and it is easily interrupted by interference from cell phones, garage door openers, smart refrigerators, fluorescent light fixtures, and almost everything else in RL.  Not only that, but unless you are on a private router you are losing bandwidth to everyone else in your dorm, coffee shop, or office.  Wireless is fine for simple things, but not for SL.

Amazing how nobody actually answered the question.  The individual clearly stated they are not having any other issues with net connectivity no matter the application.  It isn't until they start using SL that the problem exists.  And so many of you just go on to quote LL on what they say they don't support.  I too am having the same issue.  I stream HD movies over my router directly to my TV while others in the home are doing pretty much the same thing at the same time.  Bandwidth and my routers ability to handle it, IS NOT THE ISSUE. 

The issue is, the wireless adapter on my PC and only on the PC that is running SL reports limited connectivity after only a few short moments of running SL.  I can run all the other 3D intensive games and aps I want, with no issues.  The issue is clearly with SL, not my PC, not my bandwidth, not interference from other devices in the area, not my routers ability to handle the bandwidth or any number of the silly examples I have seen given to this issue.

So who really wants to take a genuine stab at fixing the issue?

Like it or not, wireless is a crummy way to connect if you are running SL. Unlike all the games you may play on your computer, SL demands a continuous connection because it is constantly swapping data back and forth between your client and its servers. Wireless is fine for applications that send data in bursts, but was not designed for this sort of environment. The reason we quote this answer as often as we do is that many SL residents, especially those with older wireless modems, have exactly the problem that the OP reported.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.