The call is from inside the house (mysterious spam from heydenver.org)

Eiko Zaytsev

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Apparently my account has been spamming IMs for a link to what Google labels as a site that "may harm your computer".  If there's a problem with me putting the URL, I can change it or a moderator can change it.  But I figured it'd be easier for people who have experienced similar issues to find this problem using the name of the site.

I've changed my password, and there is no credit information tied to this avatar, but it's freaking me out.  I"m hoping someone is merely spoofing my IMs from the email address or something like that, and didn't actually get access to my account.  I may have some apologizing to do if this is actually a malicious link, but my friends list is pretty short, so I hope not too much damage has been done.

My sister had a similar problem with events on Facebook.  How does this person have access to my contacts list, and how are they sending it from my account?

EDIT: even with blocking out some of the letters, the url is automatically linking to the site.  Google and Safari both flag it as a malware site.

I strongly suggest you contact LL. One, since this is coming from your account, someone could report you for malicious spam and you could be banned. Two, it's coming from your account and you don't know how or why. Eeep!

I don't have any idea how they are able to use your account to do this, but someone with more technical knowledge than I can hopefully help.

The From line can be anything. Nobody needs your account to send emails from you.

ETA: I used to get waves of hundreds of "bounced email" emails. Some spammer would use <any name>@one_of_my_websites.com in the From field of their spam. Many of the receiving servers would bounce the emails because that <name>@..... doesn't exist. Guess who received all the "bounced email" emails :/ Maybe I still get them but I created email rules to filter them into the Deleted folder, so I won't see them. The downside to that is, if I get a genuine bounced email email, from an email that I actually sent, I would never know because I'd never see it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.