Why are there so many spelling errors in SL? Even on the web site. Doesn't anyone proof read?

JulieJuquette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I understand that many whose first language isn't English may make errors, Many are typos but many are simple spellings errors. Even the web site has many errors. I would think that the web site developers would be professional enough to know that they should use spell check and proof read. Honestly, it isn't hard to look up a work on Dictionary.com.

Does this annoy anyone else?

Funny, it used to bother the heck out of me.  Over the past five years, though, I have become more and more tolerant of crummy typing.  Communicating rapidly by chat in SL gradually makes you more tolerant of typos.  They are our equivalent of mumbling, the inevitable price of valuing speed over accuracy.  Yes, I know chat is not the same as a web site.  People who create web sites don't have the excuse of needing to communicate quickly.  They have the luxury of time for editing.  Still, the question was whether their errors annoy me, and I suppose the answer is that I have become numbed to them after creating so many thousands of typos myself.  It could also be that the older I get, the pickier I get about which things I let rile me.  Just don't get me started on politics ......

BTW, this would be a lovely question to post in General Discussion, where you could get a real discussion going.  It's hard here.  The structure of Answers doesn't lend itself to back and forth conversation, and we are really here to answer questions, not debate them anyway.

Sometimes I leave words out, sometimes I type the same word twice, sometimes I mix up "your" and "you're", sometimes I just flat don't know how the spell the word I want, sometimes I back myself into a corner with my way of thinking while typing and wind up with an almost incomprehensible sentence.  We all make mistakes.  Those don't bother me in the least (because I'm as guilty as anyone).  Typos are easy to spot most of the time and I usually don't even notice them.  What does bother is when people use some local slang that is meaningless to most people who might be reading..........and the typer knows it (it s form of some sort of smartass attitude in most cases).  I just ignore those posts and won't even respond.  I'm beginning to get to the point of ignoring posts or threads when someone who probably do have a problem that I may be able to help with but won't give any information to help anyone help them........things like "My SL won't work.  Why?" 

Other than that I have few problems with people and their typing style.  But, yeah, Answers is not a good place to try to discuss something this.  General Discussions is made (sort of) for things like this.

Edited to correct a word that was wrong ..........."do" instead of "does".  :)

it doesnt annoy me, i learned to forgive typos, anybody can make them, typos can be overlooked if youre having a casual conversation, but good orthography shows professionalism, is the image of the company, the orthography must be checked in the interfaces before going live, along with the other parts to check if everything works fine.

i agree that Linden Lab should use a spell checker to see if everything in the interface of the website and viewer is well written. that should be verified.

JulieJuquette wrote:

I understand that many whose first language isn't English may make errors, Many are typos but many are simple spellings errors. Even the web site has many errors. I would think that the web site developers would be professional enough to know that they should use spell check and proof read. Honestly, it isn't hard to look up a
work
on Dictionary.com.

You can never rely 100 % on sites and spell check.

Hi, typos doesn´t annoy me much anymore. I know sometimes brain is faster than fingers ;)

But talking about the use of language in common i have to agree to a point Peggy brought up.

Wat da hel dos dat men´.

Alot of english speaking kids think that most/all of their words never have more than 3 letters, sorry folks wrong! As a not native english speaker let me tell you, this is not funny or cool is just rubbish.

What does annoy me is the use of g..gle translators. No, not in chat, they do a fine job there, but here on the forums. Please do not use translators to ask a very specific question. The results, at least for the languages i can read/understand, are useless and not helpful. Some said it´s only to raise their post count :smileysurprised:

That is, for me, a major reason to not answer to questions i am not 90% sure my english... is understandable.

And to brighten up things a bit. Sometimes a typo made the best time ever, not only the ones done at very private moments ;)

Monti

I hate to leave a post I've written with spelling errors in it. That's why almost all of my posts are edited - several times. One common error with me is incomplete words that change the meaning of the sentence to exactly the opposite of what was intended. My brain is usually ahead of my typing and I'll inadvertantly type things like "would" instead of "wouldn't". E.g. "I would do it" instead of "I wouldn't do it".

One common error that gets up my nose a little bit isn't actually a typo or misspelling - it's a piece of wrong knowledge. It's using the word "then" instead of "than". E.g. "It's more then I can bear". I used to think that it was just some americans who did it, due to the accent in some parts, with which the two words sound the same. But I recently started using a British only forum and I find it there too.

Spelling errors and typos in posts don't bother me at all - except my own - and I don't automatically assume that the poster doesn't know how to spell the words. Spelling errors on websites don't bother me either but I do think it's bad, and it does affect my impression of the website owner in a negative way, unless I know that the owner isn't a native english speaker. As someone said, there is no excuse for it.

100011 years working in and around the software industry has confirmed to me the close correlation between the accuracy of marketing material and dependability of the associated code itself.

I can remember one superb press release that had been spell checked, but not reviewed for sense (always dangerous to have too much confidence, even if there is a grammar check as well) which said that a product "was not available for purchase"; amazing the difference that typing a "t" instead of a "w'"makes, isn't it? Especially to some idiot marketing manager's future career prospects.

I also remember reading that MIT had done a survey of material produced using Apples against PCs, which said that the average reading age of the "computer for the rest of us" was ten years below that of the "business computer". Spelling error rates were also twice as high.

You have to remember that different standards apply in different communications channels. Whereas I would not expect a corporate press release to fail to correctly differentiate "its" and "it's" I would be less concerned in the context of an IM chat that failed to have the correct number of "m"s in a row to indicate the appropriate level of ecstasy, or even whether there was a final "h" on the end of a string of "o"s at the climax of a particularly vivid personal interaction.

As others have commented, the availability and speed of a spell checker for any but the most informal of communications gives no reason (laziness or haste are excuses) for mis-spelled words, although mangled grammar might be another question. I have seen After The Deadline recommended, and at first glance it seems to offer considerable benefits (regarding style as well as grammar) without being intrusive, both to native speakers of a range of languages and also those attempting to get their message across in something other than their mother tongue.

The Judge

/chooses his words very carefully.

Monti Messmer wrote:

Hi, typos doesn´t annoy me much anymore. I know sometimes brain is faster than fingers
;)

But talking about the use of language in common i have to agree to a point Peggy brought up.

Wat da hel dos dat men´.

Alot of english speaking kids think that most/all of their words never have more than 3 letters, sorry folks wrong! As a not native english speaker let me tell you, this is not funny or cool is just rubbish.

What does annoy me is the use of g..gle translators. No, not in chat, they do a fine job there, but here on the forums. Please do not use translators to ask a very specific question. The results, at least for the languages i can read/understand, are useless and not helpful. Some said it´s only to raise their post count :smileysurprised:

That is, for me, a major reason to not answer to questions i am not 90% sure my english... is understandable.

And to brighten up things a bit. Sometimes a typo made the best time ever, not only the ones done at very private moments
;)

Monti

^ THIS and Peggy

If you find it difficult to comprehend their question or statement then in all likelihood they are not going to understand your reply due either to not understanding English adequately, a capricious translator or that they can only sp33k l337.

JulieJuquette wrote:

I understand that many whose first language isn't English may make errors, Many are typos but many are simple spellings errors. Even the web site has many errors. I would think that the web site developers would be professional enough to know that they should use spell check and proof read. Honestly, it isn't hard to look up a
work
on Dictionary.com.

LOL

In-world, it is largely because the text entry field is, at best, only one line high, and often is less than half the screen's width. This makes it difficult to notice an error in a part of the post that has scrolled out of view. Trying to type fast enough to simulate actual conversation speeds also adds errors, for many people.

Here in the forums, though we do have a spell checker, it doesn't always get used. And even when you use it, the spell checker doesn't scroll the text to a point where you can see the word in context. Just yesterday I was trying to spell check a post, and though I knew that the spellchecker was tripping on one particular word, I did not know where that typo was in the text, so I couldn't say for sure which offered correction, if any of them, was actually the word I had intended to type. I finally had to post it as-is and go back and read the post carefully several times, before I spotted the misspelled three letter word. And it was a good thing I hadn't accepted the offered correction, as it would have been completely wrong.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Funny, it used to bother the heck out of me.  Over the past five years, though, I have become more and more tolerant of crummy typing.  Communicating rapidly by chat in SL gradually makes you more tolerant of typos.  They are our equivalent of mumbling, the inevitable price of valuing speed over accuracy.

Honest mistakes, either in hitting the wrong key or those few dozen words that you manage to never spell right without double checking, aren't really a problem.  My pet peeve is when someone hammers out a string of characters that might be phonetically mistaken for english, and then gets defensive when non-natives (and some natives) have no idea what they just said. 

People need to understand that spoken English and written English are two completely different forms of communication. The vowel shifts alone in English can make phonetic shorthand unitelligable to people who can read English, but have problems speaking it. ("wut" could be interpreted as "woot" or "w't" based on how vowel sounds are spoken in other languages).  I have a pretty low tolerance for someone who blames others for their poor communication skills.

Google the word "ghoti" to see what people have to deal with when English isn't their native language.

This thread reminds me a little bit of the fast lanes at the super markets, those wonderful 10 items or less lanes.

Whenever I'd see someone with more than 10 items in the lane I could only surmise that they were either a math major who could not read or an English major who could not count.

Perrie Juran wrote:

This thread reminds me a little bit of the fast lanes at the super markets, those wonderful 10 items or
less lanes

Whenever I'd see someone with more than 10 items in the lane I could only surmise that they were either a math major who could not read or an English major who could not count.

*cough 

They will start removing lanes?  :smileywink:

JulieJuquette wrote:

work
on Dictionary.com.

:P

Sy Beck wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

This thread reminds me a little bit of the fast lanes at the super markets, those wonderful 10 items or
less lanes

*cough 

fwiw, i generally refuse to use self serve check outs.

1.  I don't like seeing anyone's job replaced by a machine.

2.  Flirting with cashiers is a time honoured tradition.  And I actually got lucky once and had a very nice date with one.  We even wound up living together for a while.  It's just that I got tired of hearing her say 'cash or charge' whenever we'd have sex.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Sy Beck wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

less lanes

*cough 

It's just that I got tired of hearing her say 'cash or charge' whenever we'd have sex.

ROFL :smileytongue:

Perrie Juran wrote:

2.  Flirting with cashiers is a time honoured tradition.  And I actually got lucky once and had a very nice date with one.  We even wound up living together for a while.  It's just that I got tired of hearing her say 'cash or charge' whenever we'd have sex.

lol

I've never flirted with a checkout girl/woman, but one of them tried to pick me up once. I was *with* a woman and the checkout woman asked her, "Is he any good?". It turned out that she meant in bed, and the answer informed her that the woman I was with and I were not together in that way. So she tried to pick me up.

For a while after that, every time I was in that supermarket, I made sure I gave that checkout woman a wide berth.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

For a while after that, every time I was in that supermarket, I made sure I gave that checkout woman a wide berth.

Lol....chicken :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

You didn't see her lol

Phil Deakins wrote:

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

You didn't see her lol

So is what you are really trying to tell us is that she had too wide a berth for you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.