Mesh center point?

Cain Maven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First of all, I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times and answerered elswhere.

What's the best way of controlling the center point of a mesh? A simple example: If I design a cube that is 1.0 x 1.0 x 1.0 and want a bounding box that is 2.0 x 1.0 x 1.0, with the cube filling one side of the bounding box, i.e. not centered inside it?

I realize I can add "helper" geometry to force the width of the mesh, but that requires at least 3 vertices/1 tri, it seems -- a single vertex or edge doesn't seem to work.

I also tried adding a physics shape that is the size of the desired bounding box (2.0 x 1.0 x 1.0) but it appears that the cube is centered inside no matter where I set origins or locations.

I'm using Blender 2.61, btw.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

As it stands now, the extra geometry is the only way to get there. There is an outstanding jira asking for offset pivot/origin, but it is not currently being worked opn. I don't think it would affect the bounding box anyway. Also for now, all the ancilliary meshes (LODs and physics) are scaled to fit the bounding box of the base (high LOD) mesh (in fact, they are all scaled to fit inside a 1x1x1 cube and then when they are rezzed, they scaled back with a single vector that is the inverse of the scaling applied to the high LOD). This means you also have to add geometry to correct the scaling of these meshes if they don't have the same bounding box as the high LOD mesh. Preserving the relative scales of the ancilliary meshes is also something that may be added later.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.