Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c) will this work for SL?

SirenaErato

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I had trouble getting the SL viewer to install and launch in Linux. Now that it has launched I'm experiencinging a flickering picture that I can't really interact with. It is black most of the time with occasional flickers of what I'm guessing I should be seeing with the viewer. My video card is an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c). Do you think the problem is with my video card? Or do you think I missed something during the Linux install?

4 answers to this question

The Intel GMA945 is barely able to run viewers based on the 2 year old code base that makes is used for the SL viewer 1.23.  I doubt the 960 series accelerator is much better.  I know first hand that a GMA945 chipset will not run Viewer 2 based viewers.  The video adapter is just not suited for graphic intensive programs like SL.....especially dynamic 3D programs.  You haven't overlooked anything except that your graphics adapter is not going to work well with any program like SL. 

Get a discrete video card (preferably one that is mid range or higher in the performance realm and has at least 512 megs onboard video RAM).

• Like 1

Any video card that is not more than 3 series old and mid range performance or greater. I'm an nVidia user so that's my bias. I have a GTS 250 with 1GB onboard in my computer. It's a year and a half old since first released (I bought it a year ago). I just saw on Newegg that the card can be purchased for around $75.00 USD. It's good price but remember it's 3 series back from the current.........the life expectancy before obsolescence is probably about 2 more years. It need a power supply with a rating of at least 400 watts.......that's important to know when looking for any higher performance card.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.