Complaints about wearing mesh

JeanneAnne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I downloaded the new mesh enabled version of Firestorm this weekend & started wearing a mesh skirt. I've had complaints about it in clubs. A guy dancing near me complained that it was hitting him. It wasn't from the perspective of my viewer. On Saturday I changed outfits cuzuv all the comments about how funny I looked. On Sunday, though, I decided that if others can't see mesh correctly, it's their own fault for sticking with their outdated viewers. Several people said that they didn't intend to switch viewers, & that they'd rather other people didn't wear weird looking (to them) mesh garments. Has anyone else experienced complaints or negative comments from others over wearing mesh?

Jeanne

Interesting that you would get complains about it. I don't remember when I have last seen a non-mesh viewer. Phoenix has disappeared from the sims I tend to visit and when I see someone with a phoenix-tag I consider it the same as I would when seeing a more exotic viewer.

Also Imprudence and Cool Viewer vanished and so far it seems to be that most people who use TPVs have opted for Firestorm. Me too (since it was out as the first beta version) as it is a nice and well working viewer.

I would only change to non mesh outfits (I just got a great mesh dress that fits me perfectly ^_^) if mesh viewers would be in a minority. But as far as I can tell, the other is true and non-mesh viewers geting more rare every day. At least in the communities I tend ot be active in and maybe there are others where this has not yet spread into.

Rin Tae wrote:

Interesting that you would get complains about it. I don't remember when I have last seen a non-mesh viewer. Phoenix has disappeared from the sims I tend to visit and when I see someone with a phoenix-tag I consider it the same as I would when seeing a more exotic viewer.

Also Imprudence and Cool Viewer vanished and so far it seems to be that most people who use TPVs have opted for Firestorm. Me too (since it was out as the first beta version) as it is a nice and well working viewer.

I would only change to non mesh outfits (I just got a great mesh dress that fits me perfectly
^_^
) if mesh viewers would be in a minority. But as far as I can tell, the other is true and non-mesh viewers geting more rare every day. At least in the communities I tend ot be active in and maybe there are others where this has not yet spread into.

Phoenix has mesh too now btw. It's still the viewer I see used the most by people I hang out with, so, that mesh update was probably a good thing. I absolutely cannot stand Firestorm or the official viewers, so I know I'll be sticking with Phoenix until it either dies in one way or another, or a better option appears.

Complaining about what other people are wearing is just silly either way, shouldn't be any of their business unless it's something that really ruin things for them. But it's likely a temporary problem. Eventually, the vast majority will be on mesh viewers.

I was in the sandbox when this silver oval shaped object appeared. When I first noticed the object, I didn't realize that it was an Avatar. I thought, "if you want to be a flying saucer; who am I to judge". I never said anything to the Resident. (that would be rude)

Later, I learned that the Resident was wearing a Mesh outfit. I had a good laugh about it. :smileyvery-happy:

I would ignore complaints. 

• Like 1

I've gone temporarily back to the original Phoenix (non-mesh) because I get better performance - significantly less lag. Before that, I was using Firestorm. I figure if you refuse to upgrade to a mesh viewer, that's personal choice - but you don't have the right to complain that other people are wearing things you can't see. The options are out there for mesh viewers. My response to anyone complaining about an item I was wearing hitting them would be "Well, have you considered a mesh viewer? I'm not hitting you at all according to mine." And to anyone who said my clothing looked weird and they'd rather I change - "Oh, I love this [dress/skirt/top]. Have you considered trying another viewer, like Firestorm or the upgraded Phoenix?" It's all a matter of personal choice.

• Like 1

I was concerned about this for a while, but when Firestorm adopted mesh, I started wearing the few mesh clothes I've liked enough to buy, and very few people have complained about them looking strange.   The one time someone has, it turned out he -- a Phoenix user -- was the one person in the group of half a dozen of us who couldn't see them properly, and that was before Phoenix became mesh-capable.

My advice is not to worry.   

I find this particularly ironic, in fact, when I remember how upset some Emerald, and later Phoenix, users became if they were wearing stuff on one of the "illegal" extra attachment points and someone complained their belt was floating round a metre or so away from them.

That really helps a lot, ty.

After watching that video, I can conclude that someone has lost their marbles in this thread. :smileyindifferent:

Your "janefoolery" is disrupting my attempts to project a serious tone over an issue I cannot control and barely understand...

jk, :smileywink: :heart:

Well, I don't use a viewer that shows me what any1 esle is using, but I do ask every1 if they can see me correctly. Very few of the last people I've asked can't see me correctly. Since the mesh Phoenix was released, I've had numerous people interested in a line of products that I made precisely because of mesh coming to SL. Plus, more people fighting with my mesh NPCs. It was frustrating months ago when I constantly had to explain that those toruses roaming around my sim and attacking you, are actually detailed animals.

I recently have made 2 full mesh avatars and have had several people mention that they can't see me, or that I just look like a sphere to them, that is fine with me, Its all about the mesh baby! And I agree, if they don't like the viewers that have mesh then sucks to be them.

As long as more people are saying "your avatar looks great" than say "your avatar looks weird/crap" then it's ok. However, if no one compliments you, but pretty much everyone says you look like a 3D picasso painting, it's time to move to a different venue :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Me on a mesh viewer, wearing one of the werewolf avatars we all have in our inventories ...

werewolf.jpg

And same avatar, but using non-mesh viewer

werewolf non mesh.jpg

It's still, at this stage, all about personal preference. Second Life isn't (yet) revolving around mesh, although LL would love it to, as it has the potential to bring in some decent revenue. 

• 1 month later...

Well i want to add a real odd twist to this conversation... I am making my own mesh clothes and agree to all there is written above but i found out of others that uses the latest phoenix or firestorm viewer that i can see wearing my own dress and the other cant.... If i put the same dress in the sandbox; not wearing it, than the other can see it... So there are some strange things aspecially with wearing mesh with the latest phoenix and firestorm...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This thread started when mesh was much newer, fewer poeple were using mesh capable viewers.  I read recently in the Technology forum that more than 90% of users currently use mesh viewers.  So, I would not jump the the conclusion that your problem is mesh, at least not based on 6 month old post from the "early days" of mesh.

I have been booted from several clubs for appearing to be naked to others, but while I was wearing (at least in my own viewer) perfectly conventional system clothes.  It happens from time to time, but has never been a persistant problem for me.

There is a problem with mesh, though, in that sometimes mesh just won't render,  or not for everyone, no matter what viewer they're using.   I don't quite understand the problem but the fix is to go to Debug Settings (Control Alt D for the debug menu) and increase the value of MeshMaxConcurrentRequests (mine is set at 128).

I think the default setting is artificially low to reduce lag for people on computers that just make the minimum spec for SL.   But if you've got a decent computer, try 64 or 128.

But with most mesh stuff, if it doesn't render, your modesty is protected by alpha layers -- the other day I saw a guy with apparently no trousers, but, because of the alpha layer, there wasn't anything at all between his waist and his feet. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.