Chainmaille in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks, I'm writing in the hope that someone else is into both Second Life and Chainmaille.  By that I mean the weaving of rings into objects such as jewelry or armor and the like in hobby and business forms, not the email spam stuff.  Chainmaille is an art form that can range from expressive to scientific, and in a way so is Second Life.  

I have recently discovered that the physics simulator in Second Life is of great value in designing chainmaille as a 3DVR creation.  All you have to do is make the chainmaille out of torus and/or cylinder forms (cylinder for square cross-section wire, rare but useful) and then select all of the objects and mark them as physical.  When the edit mode is released, the rings all seek their minimum energy state and probably ezxplode all over the place, lol.  But the concept does have potential for verifying new weaves and designs without buying or weaving a single ring.  

Also I would like to point out a possibly excellent marketplace opportunity.  If we create Second Life versions of our Real Life chainmaille, then we can sell them together on the Second Life Marketplace as a pair.  The customer receives an SL model of their RL jewelry or whatever the cvreation is in addition to the RL object itself.  The notion of pairing RL with SL is not new, but is also not widely used in SL and I think it makes a lot of sense for the poor starving chainmaille artist.  

Anyway, regardless of the validity of these two points, we maillers should stick together like birds of a feather, so reply to this thread with your comments please!  

Inventor Alchemi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.