WTF is SOPA!

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm.... stunned!

This is probably the most serious and vicious assault on worldwide freedom I've witnessed in my lifetime!

You could expect something like that from regimes like China, Iran, or North Korea. But it's the US Government who's about to launch this?!?

I don't know what to say... if nobody stops this...

I'm too shocked right now to think any further..

Quite a piece of ignorant propaganda.

Many falsehoods have been spread by the Google lobbyists with videos like this.

There is nothing in the law that involves shutting down entire websites over one person's content.

There are narrow definitions, remedies, and defenses in this law that make is clearly designed for targeting actual pirate sites with large volumes of pirated content, not your Tumblr blog.

The judicial system of the United States doesn't permit you to just randomly block and shut down sites. The one edge case

that is being bruited by TechDirt about one site held for a year fails to mention that it has bunches of infringing content on it.

It also doesn't "break the Internet" to block sites. Geeks block malware sites all the time without "breaking the Internet".

There is no prior restraint or prior censorship or First Amendment violation in this law, that's absurd. Pirated content and illegal drug ads aren't protected speech.

You might be right Prok, but I feel that the current protections are abused enough that we don't really need any other "Protections". Personally, I don't feel that either of these provides ME with any better protections. Legislation is supposed to be a means for the "people" to seek out extra protections, not for corporations to get protections from competitors. As I don't feel corporations are people, I don't feel that my tax dollars need to pay for their protections.

By now I've somehow recovered from the initial shock and found time to read more about this issue...

It was your blog, Prok, that made me aware of the term "SOPA" for the first time. But to be honest, I had no idea what it was. I only understood that it was an acronym for... a party?... or a hacker group?... or a website?... or what?

I read some paragraphs without getting a clue about the nature of the topic, so I went on to read something else and forgot about it, until I discovered this thread and read it merely to get to know what the acronym means. Now I'm alarmed, and that's an understatement!

I'm sure I've not read all about it, but I've read everything you wrote about it on your different blogs and some more.

You focus on what SOPA is SUPPOSED to be and how it is SUPPOSED to be used. But here in Germany we often get reports depicting how the law in the USA is (ab)used by people who pursue their own agendas and purposes. Ridiculous compensation demands are a frequent example for related lawsuits.

While I agree with you in your general fight for copyright protection, your perspective on SOPA looks kind of blue eyed to me. The question here is not what SOPA might be intended to achieve, the question is how it COULD be used!

From my viewpoint it looks like SOPA will make every server located in the USA unreliable and therefore unusable as a platform for business, because an investor can never be sure if it won't be shut down thanks to a ridiculous copyright claim.

In other words: For safe business, you basically have to outsource all internet related technology to locations that are not in the USA.

I wonder if Linden Lab is aware of what SOPA might mean for Second Life. To me it looks like SL is particularly vulnerable to copyright issues. If the sheer possibility of copyright infringement is enough to shut down a site, it's just a matter of time until someone will launch a claim that leads to the shutdown of SL. Looks like SOPA might be the ultimate griefer tool.

Here is a small personal example of how the current protections are abused. I have a Werewolf demo video on Youtube and it has 6000 views. There is 1 sound in the whole video. It is the sound of wind. That is it, no other sounds in the video, and everything in the video is made by me. It has a copyright claim on it for the wind sound. Of course i have made a counter claim, but Youtube doesn't give a crap. A corporation made a claim on my video and that is it, end of discussion. How the heck does a corporation own the sound of wind?

Now this is a tiny insignificant thing, but if they will go after a wind sound, then just imagine how crazy it can get.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Here is a small personal example of how the current protections are abused. I have a Werewolf demo video on Youtube and it has 6000 views. There is 1 sound in the whole video. It is the sound of wind. That is it, no other sounds in the video, and everything in the video is made by me. It has a copyright claim on it for the wind sound. Of course i have made a counter claim, but Youtube doesn't give a crap. A corporation made a claim on my video and that is it, end of discussion. How the heck does a corporation own the sound of wind?

Now this is a tiny insignificant thing, but if they will go after a wind sound, then just imagine how crazy it can get.

we had something similar happen with our land on our ranch..

well they tried to do this anyways..we just didn't lay down so they settled with us..

one year about 3 planting seasons back we had ordered some seed for corn..

we went ahead and planted and ended up finding out the seed we had gotten was not the seed we ordered..it ended up being a seed that had genetic manipulation involved with it..we always plant organic..our whole ranch is organic..

anyways one day we were at the barn and recieved a call ffrom a represenative of this company called monsanto..they had tried to tell us that since our land now had thier seend in it that we had to buy a license because the seed manipulation or something like that can be transfered into future plantings even if we didn't use thier seed in the future..

we ended up after a lot of headaches and them threatening us with lawyers and us tellign them we have family as lawyers as well that will be there for free..ended up only having to buy a license for one season..

but after doing some research on this company ..we found out that other farmers all over the country had to at some point burn cribs and cribs of seed they had saved for years that was organic..all because they had saved part of the harvest for seed  like they do every year and it became mixed with this companies  product..because the seed they had used was monsanto seed..

that farmers had been told they could not farm on their own land that was showing it was tainted  Monsanto fertile..not unless they bought a license every year from then on out..even if they did not buy Monsanto seed anymore..

this is what corps do ..they take over..

nature was never supposed to be able to be patent by anyone..but the government made the exception when someone found some organism or cell that could eat oil or whatever it was..it's been awhile since i had researched it..but it started off as something that was for good and now corporations are up farmers AZZes years later..

Monsanto has farmers coming and going..even checking their cattle which more than likely eats from the feed they had grown..that in turn requiring another license..

that thing called roundup..Monsanto product..so from planting all the way to long after harvest the farmer gets hit coming and going and then long after gone..

anything that falls under corporation control i will never trust..and people that think this SOPA will never be manipulated for corporate gain and control..need to wake up..

the real world tells different in history and it screams loud to the future that the past will repeat itself again..

Hi Medhue,

first let me thank you for trying to make the public aware of this serious threat.

Well, I suppose you used a sound sample for your video, and the corporation had the copyrights for that sample, so it owned the sound of this particular wind. That's ok. A sample is a sample, and if they had the copyright, well... But I wonder if they actually had to prove their claim. Only YouTube could clarify this question.

It's still easy to tell how crazy it can get in relation to SL:

As we all know well enough, SL is full of content that possibly or de facto violates copyrights, and at any given second even more content can be added that infringes copyright laws. Following Proks logic, you could say that SL is at least partially a huge piracy site. (And no - I'm not claiming that Prok would actually say this! I only pursue the line of logic.) If you look at it like that, SL deserves the ban hammer for being a piracy site.

There must be at least thousands out there who could make a claim against at least a tiny part of content in SL. It can be a texture, a sound sample, or whatever. And I'm only talking about just claims that could be proved. LL handles these cases more or less efficient. If you have proof for a claim, the Lab removes the content.

With SOPA, you don't even need proof. You simply have to claim that your or someone elses copyright is violated, and BANG - Before the Lab even has a chance to react, Second Life is offline!

SOPA is an invitation for every SL hater, griefer, or ex-employee who bears a grudge against the lab to shut SL down smart and easy. Maybe it will go online again after a few days, or months, or... well, only until someone else appears with a similar claim!

I remember the days when SL was offline once a day, and we got that message "We're banging on Things" from the Lab at the login screen and had to wait until the tech team had sorted one of the many troubles SL had at that time.

Fortunately those days are remote history by now, but once SOPA has become a reality, we'll have to get used to another daily message: "Sorry, We're banging on lawyers. Please remain patient until the judge returns from fishing!"

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

well they tried to do this anyways..we just didn't lay down so they settled with us..

we went ahead and planted and ended up finding out the seed we had gotten was not the seed we ordered..it ended up being a seed that had genetic manipulation involved with it..we always plant organic..our whole ranch is organic..

anyways one day we were at the barn and recieved a call ffrom a represenative of this company called monsanto..they had tried to tell us that since our land now had thier seend in it that we had to buy a license because the seed manipulation or something like that can be transfered into future plantings even if we didn't use thier seed in the future..

we ended up after a lot of headaches and them threatening us with lawyers and us tellign them we have family as lawyers as well that will be there for free..ended up only having to buy a license for one season..

but after doing some research on this company ..we found out that other farmers all over the country had to at some point burn cribs and cribs of seed they had saved for years that was organic..all because they had saved part of the harvest for seed  like they do every year and it became mixed with this companies  product..because the seed they had used was monsanto seed..

that farmers had been told they could not farm ontheir own land that was showing it was tainted  monsanto firtile..not unless they bought a license every year from then on out..even if they did not buy monsanto seed anymore..

nature was never sopsed to be able to be patent by anyone..but the government made the acception when someone found some organism or cell that could eat oil or whatever it was..it's been awhile since i had researched it..but it started off as something that was for good and now corporations are up farmers AZZes years later..

monsanto has farmers coming and going..

that thing called roundup..monsanto product..so from planting all the way to long after harvest the farmer gets hit coming adn going and then long after gone..

anything that falls under corporation control i will never trust..and people that think this SOPA will never be manipulatied for corporate gain and control..need to wake up..

the real world tells different in history and it screams loud to the future that the past will repeat itself again..

I watched a documentary about this very issue... the most outrageous thing that these companies did, in my eyes, was sue farmers that never even purchased or used their seed to begin with, yet ended up with this mutant seed on their land through natural transfer because of wind, birds, seed falling off of trucks nearby and things like that.  And because of the ridiculous copyright laws that were set in place on these types of seed (which can never really be contained), they usually got their way.

The whole jest of the movie was that a living thing should never have been able to be copyrighted in the first place, along with exposing the lengths that these genetically manipulated seed companies will go to in order to screw little home grown farmers that have used their own seed for years.  It's really very sad.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

that farmers had been told they could not farm ontheir own land that was showing it was tainted  monsanto firtile..not unless they bought a license every year from then on out..even if they did not buy monsanto seed anymore..

nature was never sopsed to be able to be patent by anyone..but the government made the acception when someone found some organism or cell that could eat oil or whatever it was..it's been awhile since i had researched it..but it started off as something that was for good and now corporations are up farmers AZZes years later..

monsanto has farmers coming and going..

that thing called roundup..monsanto product..so from planting all the way to long after harvest the farmer gets hit coming adn going and then long after gone..

anything that falls under corporation control i will never trust..and people that think this SOPA will never be manipulatied for corporate gain and control..need to wake up..

I watched a documentary about this very issue... the most outrageous thing that these companies did, in my eyes, was sue farmers that never even purchased or used their seed to begin with, yet ended up with this mutant seed on their land through natural transfer because of wind, birds, seed falling off of trucks nearby and things like that.  And because of the ridiculous copyright laws that were set in place on these types of seed (which can never really be contained), they usually got their way.

The whole jest of the movie was that a living thing should never have been able to be copyrighted in the first place, along with exposing the lengths that these genetically manipulated seed companies will go to in order to screw little home grown farmers that have used their own seed for years.  It's really very sad.

...Dres

ya i think i had seen that one also..something like "you are what you eat"??

also even your home garden..and it will also be world wide..someone down the road could use it and pollination could end up having them calling you at your home or you getting served with papers..

here is a man that stood up to them as well which probably is the reason they did not feel we were worth it..

we are not farmers that need our crop to run our farm ..we could just  let grass grow and turn them to grazing range and be just as well off..

where farmers that are dependent on seed stock are the targets they want..

they really want the whole food industry of the world..imagine a corporation with that kind of power..

this was the very first patent on nature in the U.S. that led to where we are now...

In 1980, the U.S. Supreme Court, in Diamond v. Chakrabarty, upheld the first patent on a newly-created living organism, a bacterium for digesting crude oil in oil spills. The patent examiner for the United States Patent and Trademark Office had rejected the patent of a living organism, but Chakrabarty appealed. As a rule, raw natural material is generally rejected for patent approval by the USPTO. The Court ruled that as long as the organism is truly "man-made," such as through genetic engineering, then it is patentable. Because the DNA of Chakrabarty's organism was modified, it was patentable.

ETA: i just want to add again..this patent started off as something good..but it opened the flood gates for broader things that we will be paying the price for probably to the end of human time..

SOPA may sound all good to some..i'm saying if we give them an inch.. they WILL take a mile and then another mile until they have it all..

One important thing to add about GMO crops. These are plants which produce pollen, just like any other plant. That pollen floats through the air and lands on all the other plants around it, eventually changing those other plant's dna also. The genetic code in implemented using a virus, meaning, eventually all the plants around also get infested with that virus, hence changing the genetic code of every plant.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

One important thing to add about GMO crops. These are plants which produce pollen, just like any other plant. That pollen floats through the air and lands on all the other plants around it, eventually changing those other plant's dna also. The genetic code in implemented using a virus, meaning, eventually all the plants around also get infested with that virus, hence changing the genetic code of every plant.

that is the only way they could implement the genes for the changes to the cells.. using something that is very good at invading cells..bacteria and virus..

on a bigger scale Monsanto does the same thing to farmers fields that don't use their seed..just by having it out of secure labs and in any farmers field..it's only a matter of time that it just expands to the surrounding area and surrounding farmers..in time Monsanto without having to lift another finger can just go around now draining farmers because their land is infected..they have become the virus to our land and food..soon they will consume it all..

the major piss off is..it should be reversed these lawsuits..it should be the farmers suing monsanto and winning rather than monsanto's virus's infecting any lands and monsanto winning..

i just wonder when the world will ever stand up and say we have had enough?

at this rate we never will because at some point they are going to go so far that they could kill any of us off with a flip of the switch just from the food we eat..

if the government lets it go this far and they back it up..then who's to say they have what it takes to stand up and stop them from something even more inhuman.

then people say to us we are goofs for thinking SOPA is something that won't hurt us either?

this SOPA is for owners of creations..not creators of creations..sure creators can be the owners..but that is not who SOPA is out to protect..

let them infest the internet and just like the world seed..they will not give us much room to grow anything with ours..because they will pick every seed apart finding that tiny part of inspiration that they will call their DNA and shut anyone with no power down..

this law would be nothing but the launch pad to that and worse..give corporations a little room and they will be pushing everyone out of the way to claim dominance like they have in everything they have done in the past..

it's what corporations do..they seek and destroy and take over until they have total control..no matter what rights they trample or how many lives end in their quest..

because human value to them is nothing unless we are on a table getting dissected to learn more ways n how to control us and everything we have..they won't be happy until they own us all..and that is when bull meets bull fighter..

we can lay down and let them have it or we can keep saying GTFO====>

Phil Deakins wrote:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

One important thing to add about GMO crops. These are plants which produce pollen, just like any other plant. That pollen floats through the air [...] 

Not to mention the major way of cross-pollenisation - bees and other animals.

the ways things can spread are endless and they knew it...they have the quick and slow ways covered in spreading and infecting everything  aroudnd them..

they should be the ones getting sued..because if it was an oil spill thats what would be happening..they would be getting their asses sued off..

instead of waiting for monsanto to come along ..farmers need to start testing and bringing suits the other way..going after them for poisoning their fields and lands..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.