Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maryanne Solo

Gaming the Slums to trend

Recommended Posts


Maryanne Solo wrote:

 

H
ow is it that the majority, see such a tool as something to spread good cheer and warm feelings to others and a minority use it in an attempt to either grief/incite or mistakenly enhance their own standing? 

 

Aren't you answering your own question? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunately, many things that are available to us can be used with bad intentions, there always are gonna be people that find a way to use it in a way that it wasnt intended, for example, law tries to be fair, but some people may find a way to do bad things using the law, even if it has various sections to prevent that.

we can only be fair ouselves, and not do things with bad intentions, and maybe report those ones that are against the law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Maryanne Solo wrote:

Thank you Dres, I do understand and your opinion is highly valued by most everyone incuding myself. If I am subject to criticism thats fine. Why can't questions like this be asked of the Linden Labs community?. <(statement not a question)

The fora and the feeds are not the personal domain of a chosen few.
For a love feature to be instantly siezed as a tool for self promotion
> not business promotion Tari < speaks volumes of how the labs good intent is hijacked for.. well... public self loving. Shouldn't this activity be relocated to Zindra also? ^^

How is it that the majority, see such a tool as something to spread good cheer and warm feelings to others and a minority use it in an attempt to either grief/incite or mistakenly enhance their own standing? 

This is exactly how Kudos has, unfortunately, been abused from the beginning of the Lithium forum era.

Both things are simply wonderful and beneficial for everyone if used as the Labs Intended.

I believe you are overlooking something much more basic here.  To 'love' a post might be considered as simple as a virtual handshake or a hug.  Of course, there are some that are actively promoting themselves (live performances, events, art shows), but so what?  I do not see anything wrong with these things.

Please provide facts behind the second bolded statement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually you are right about the gaming, but unless a person or group is targeted you will receive little or no support here, to include the understand of the issue. There are in fact 3 loving members of SL that are present in this thread who are active members of the gaming community.

The bottom line is when Trending was plopped in our laps on the Feeds certain individuals or groups became visible without even knowing it. The battles and dislikes that were fostered in the forums spread to the feeds and the games began.

There are self proclaimed advocates that believe their vision of how the forums and feeds should be used is the only correct method and will use any means to achieve that aim. 

In truth I personally don't care because self proclaimed advocates of a cause are so confident of their belief they never remain hidden for long.

I can wait.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


DQ Darwin wrote:

Actually you are right about the gaming, but unless a person or group is targeted you will receive little or no support here, to include the understand of the issue. There are in fact 3 loving members of SL that are present in this thread who are active members of the gaming community.

The bottom line is when Trending was plopped in our laps on the Feeds certain individuals or groups became visible without even knowing it. The battles and dislikes that were fostered in the forums spread to the feeds and the games began.

There are self proclaimed advocates that believe their vision of how the forums and feeds should be used is the only correct method and will use any means to achieve that aim. 

In truth I personally don't care because self proclaimed advocates of a cause are so confident of their belief they never remain hidden for long.

I can wait.
:)

I can wait too.  I saw it in the forum with the promotion of HippieStock and the 'live' acts.  It was carried into the feeds.  Hey as one performer stated clearly: any publicity works. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


DQ Darwin wrote:

There are self proclaimed advocates that believe their vision of how the forums and feeds should be used is the only correct method and will use any means to achieve that aim. 

 

What? We should all think and post the same?  I like the forum and the feeds; I don't use them to support "one mind" for all posters.  Either post to support me or I will not be your friend. That is a cult-like mentality, don't you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone point out to me the person or persons who wake up every morning and can be bothered to rush to the feeds to see who or what is trending?  

What do these people do when they get there?  Plan their day around whatever is trending?  Go and buy anything they see in the picture?  Print it out and pin it up on a bedroom wall.  Believe and trust in whatever is posted there?

Or, maybe they obsess about it a bit too much, let it take over their life, write and fret endlessly about it and believe it's the thin end of a conspiratorial wedge intended to take over SL.

Beats me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last time I looked, it was someone whose post was"loved" by him/her and his/her well-known alt... and the people that "they" are engaged to. Not complaining, mind you. I really don't use the feeds, so I really don't care. There's a whole lot of "self-love" going on, though, not just the "self-love" that seems to have bunched up some people's panties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Storm, although I try to refrain from direct contact with you, I suggest you read what you just posted. It is the same thing I just said, but in my opinion not as well.

Just the mention of a "cult-like mentality" from the person who originated the PIC concept is in itself ludicrous in its paranoia. The non-physical text based area is the breeding ground for cults (roles eyes).

@Sy: In answer to your question I might suggest you would, you found your way here looking for whats hot, so?


Storm Clarence wrote:


DQ Darwin wrote:

There are self proclaimed advocates that believe their vision of how the forums and feeds should be used is the only correct method and will use any means to achieve that aim. 

 

What? We should all think and post the same?  I like the forum and the feeds; I don't use them to support "one mind" for all posters.  Either post to support me or I will not be your friend. 
That is a cult-like mentality, don't you think?



 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DQ Darwin wrote:

@Sy: In answer to your question I might suggest you would, you found your way here looking for whats hot, so?

Count me in the sadly disappointed at what they found quotient then.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why oh why oh why can't we give forum kudos to slum graffiti and love forum posts.  Won't someone think of the childrennnn!!!!!

- Let's face it, LL is interested in the sort of people interested in all this rank/kudos/love/trend/feed/twit/slap-face stuff.  The rest of us can safely ignore it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Venus Petrov wrote:

I am guessing from your lack of response that Gypsy and Immy at the top of Trending is not a bad thing.  How about
Tinkerer?
  Or Strawberry?  

Thinkerer.  FIFY.

Thinkerer is my friend.  I will support his feed.  I supported his feed when he was not my friend, too.

The OP is nonsense and was penned out of spite.  Unfortunately the moderators should have recognized this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This statement by you is exactly what I meant when I said

(There are self proclaimed advocates that believe their vision of how the forums and feeds should be used is the only correct method and will use any means to achieve that aim.) 

Because you consider this OP to be **nonsense** your upset the "mods" don't see your point. Sorry that's not how it works your individual dislike of a post has no bearing on pretty much anything. But you will stick with it because you know who it's directed at.

Doesn't life suck.


Storm Clarence wrote:


Venus Petrov wrote:

I am guessing from your lack of response that Gypsy and Immy at the top of Trending is not a bad thing.  How about
Tinkerer?
  Or Strawberry?  

Thinkerer.  FIFY.

Thinkerer is my friend.  I will support his feed.  I supported his feed when he was not my friend, too.

The OP is nonsense and was penned out of spite
.  
Unfortunately the moderators should have recognized this
.  



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:


 

The OP is nonsense and was penned out of spite.  Unfortunately the moderators should have recognized this.  


spite/spīt/

 
Noun:
A desire to hurt, annoy, or offend someone: "he'd think I was saying it out of spite".
  Verb:
Deliberately hurt, annoy, or offend (someone).
  Synonyms:
noun. malice - rancour - rancor - grudge - malevolence
verb. vex - annoy - irritate

 

How exactly can asking a question as to whether a higher number of "loves" would prevent gaming of a feature be denoted as spiteful?  I think it is way too lofty an expectation for you to think the mods might be intimately familiar with your personal posterior discomforts and furthermore, act on your behalf.  Does not every voice, even those you don't like, deserve to be heard?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Why oh why oh why can't we give forum kudos to slum graffiti and love forum posts.  Won't someone think of the childrennnn!!!!!

- Let's face it, LL is interested in the sort of people interested in all this rank/kudos/love/trend/feed/twit/slap-face stuff.  The rest of us can safely ignore it.

+1 Kudos :smileywink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


DQ Darwin wrote:

This statement by you is exactly what I meant when I said

(There are self proclaimed advocates that believe their vision of how the forums and feeds should be used is the only correct method and will use any means to achieve that aim.) 

Because you consider this OP to be **nonsense** your upset the "mods" don't see your point.
Sorry that's not how it works your individual dislike of a post has no bearing on pretty much anything. But you will stick with it because you know who it's directed at.

Doesn't life suck.

 

The OP is upset that most people who responded to this thread don't see a gaming of the feeds.  There was/is absolutely nothing to corroborate what the OP claims.  There are many opinions written above...then the flames start - history tells me the OP should have been pulled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not require you to translate what the OP wrote as I know well enough what has been said and if you read all the posts you would wee I have agreed with her.

(Storm wrote - There are many opinions written above...then the flames start - history tells me the OP should have been pulled. ) 

Is this history by Storm or history by LL you are basing this on? Since you are not privy to LL's records I will assume it is history as Storm sees it. In the case is it based on the number of OP's you have RIC'd and had sucessfully removed? How else could that statement be anything but BS?


Storm Clarence wrote:


DQ Darwin wrote:

This statement by you is exactly what I meant when I said

(There are self proclaimed advocates that believe their vision of how the forums and feeds should be used is the only correct method and will use any means to achieve that aim.) 

Because you consider this OP to be **nonsense** your upset the "mods" don't see your point.
Sorry that's not how it works your individual dislike of a post has no bearing on pretty much anything. But you will stick with it because you know who it's directed at.

Doesn't life suck.

 

The OP is upset that most people who responded to this thread don't see a gaming of the feeds.  There was/is absolutely nothing to corroborate what the OP claims.  There are many opinions written above...then the flames start - history tells me the OP should have been pulled.  



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg is this still going?

Unbereaveable!

Talk about hit a raw nerve.. o.O

The fact that it is seen as a competition by some is exactly my point. >Also that this behaviour is deliberately transferred from the forums to the feeds. Which demeans SL & LL's efforts entirely.. (> Dee's fact from below).

Crystal clear points Dee & Ima "most" <lol, would agree.

+3 Lurvs, 9 kudos ♫ and a partridge in a pear tree ♪

Any alts want to add some too? erm alts ^^ .. helllooo? umm... banned peeps maybe?... pleeeeeese...?  *looks about.... 8-/

Back in a couple of days *waves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Sy Beck wrote:

Could someone point out to me the person or persons who wake up every morning and can be bothered to rush to the feeds to see who or what is trending?  

What do these people do when they get there?  Plan their day around whatever is trending?  Go and buy anything they see in the picture?  Print it out and pin it up on a bedroom wall.  Believe and trust in whatever is posted there?

Or, maybe they obsess about it a bit too much, let it take over their life, write and fret endlessly about it and believe it's the thin end of a conspiratorial wedge intended to take over SL.

Beats me.

You are somewhat illuminating your own sig line there Sy in pointing out what could be classified as much ado about nothing.

/me looks a little horrified. "You mean it ISN'T a conspiratorial plot to take over SL? You mean we CAN'T trust everything posted?" 

It is interesting what people fret about, is it not? Luckily it isn't contagious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...