Gaming the Slums to trend

Maryanne Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

I refer to it as SLum in honor of Void.  She created the moniker.

I know that, but I still think it is a silly term.
:)

Maybe she was right to call it such, and if we use the verb, SLUMMING, maybe we could apply the urban definition to it:

(eta to add, please forgive my snark)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slumming

1. slumming 196 up, 57 down

to hang out- or go out with someone on a lesser scale than you
a senior "slumming" a freshman to get some nice tyte p*ssy wit lil or no hard work
by anonymous Aug 31, 2003 share this add a video
2. slumming 111 up, 27 down

To hang out with someone of much different socialeconomic status usually for the reason of wanting to look cool or to feel more connected with another culture very different from one's upbringing.

Usually there's a reason for such actions -- a bullet on a resume or being seen helping out one's fellow man.

Is that Generation X'er feeling the spirit of volunteering or just slumming with those guys he smokes with on the steps of the Soup Kitchen.

Why's Greg slumming with that fat unemployed single Latino mom? He's got a degree and a good job. Well, he's not over his divorce and he just wants to enjoy something light, fun and very sexual. He says he can talk her into anything. He'll get over her and move back up to someone more his level soon enough.

3. slumming 111 up, 45 down

Dating or, usually, f*cking someone much less attractive than oneself.
I've been extra horny lately, so I've been slumming.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh.

Ya'll want to be so negative with this SLUM term and accusations of gaming.

I kinda like it. Posting FEED pics is fun and rather easy.

Its a lot quicker than hitting flickr, and I finally figured out that it does make a high rez version of them which I was able to get to last night for the forum christmas party:

https://my.secondlife.com/pussycat.catnap/snapshots/4eed61d6eec0f9377a000001

https://my.secondlife.com/pussycat.catnap/snapshots/4eed5cf9537fe71127000001

In -that- view if you click the image you see it at full-size.

Now if only they'd let us link them into here, rather than have to re-upload.

And frankly, the people who are at the top of the trending, half of them are the ones here complaining about this thing and all of the other negative posts they've been making since VOID drama-quit.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

the people who are at the top of the trending, half of them are the ones here complaining about this thing and all of the other negative posts they've been making since VOID drama-quit.

So, do you think that these people are mindless hypocrites or that they are making an obviously successful point about the inadequacies of the feeds? :matte-motes-sour:

Please make your arguments substantiating your preferred viewpoint. You may also wish to elaborate upon the significance of your reference to Void. :matte-motes-evil-grin:

The Judge

/invites a "top trender" to offer an explanation for their participation in the feeds; perhaps romulka or Caitlin?

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Meh.

Ya'll want to be so negative with this SLUM term and accusations of gaming.

I kinda like it. Posting FEED pics is fun and rather easy.

Its a lot quicker than hitting flickr, and I finally figured out that it does make a high rez version of them which I was able to get to last night for the forum christmas party:

In -that- view if you click the image you see it at full-size.

Now if only they'd let us link them into here, rather than have to re-upload.

And frankly, the people who are at the top of the trending, half of them are the ones here complaining about this thing and all of the other negative posts they've been making since VOID drama-quit.

Wow nice pictures  =)

i was late getting there..that is a group having a good time there =)

FC FTW!!\o/ =)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Wow nice pictures  =)

i was late getting there..that is a group having a good time there =)

FC FTW!!\o/ =)

What I forgot to say is how to get to that version of the pictures.

In looking at someone's feed, above the image:

name.surname  shared a snapshot.

- Clicking snapshot would take you to the medium sized image, from which you can click to get the full-sized image. But more steps than it should take. :) But its nice for the early stages of a project.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

jujmental: take the drama baiting elsewhere please.
;)

I am certainly not indulging in "drama baiting", merely requesting that you substantiate your own possibly tendentious and insulting charges against enthusiastic feeds participants. If you are unable or unwilling to offer any evidence to support your accusations I am afraid that I am going to have to rule against you. :smileyfrustrated:

The Judge

/offers a level playing field to those who respect the rules.

Well the self loving in public is nothing really new. Especially for the mutual admiration society yes. Interesting how people banned from inworld can help the self lovers isnt it? Weird stuff indeed. There is a wonderful solution of course Skyrim! wewt! LOL.

@Tari LMAO now that is hilarious. "Someones friends are more popular than others" wasnt it?, What a classic! Why the need for self loving then? < and thats forums & slums in a nutshell really. Thath all folks - Boomtish!

Awww Dres. :matte-motes-crying:

I use the trending tab mostly to see if there is a nice place to explore, which is often the case.

My own 'trending' snapshots, feel free to check them.

I have very few  'self-loved' ones and if I did:  those were pics I particularly liked myself, on how they turned out (playing with shadows and windlight and such).
It's nice if other people show their appreciation by pushing the 'love' button, but not needed.

I use the feed because I can and because I like to share my adventures - same reason I have a blog.

The negative and whining stuff, I skip. Easily.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

I use the trending tab mostly to see if there is a nice place to explore, which is often the case.

My own 'trending' snapshots, feel free to check them.

I have very few  'self-loved' ones and if I did:  those were pics I particularly liked myself, on how they turned out (playing with shadows and windlight and such).

It's nice if other people show their appreciation by pushing the 'love' button, but not needed.

I use the feed because I can and because I like to share my adventures - same reason I have a blog.

The negative and whining stuff, I skip. Easily.

Thank you for a succinct explanation of the basis for your participation in the feeds, Ms Tobias; it sounds as if you might be channelling the thoughts of Chairman Torley there, actually. :smileyvery-happy:

The Judge

/Would you care to comment on the nature of your association with that redoubtable fellow?

//Please remember that you are still under oath.

im gonna bring this in order to have more perspectives over the possible uses and misuses of the trending feature of the feeds:

griefing

lets say someone have something against someone, she was cheated in a relationship, or has a business competitor, and decides to post something really negative (griefer style) about that person or company, has some alts to love the griefing a lot, and that post remains top trending unless some other post have more loves.

advertising

a company offers a promotion that anyone who gives love to a product post, get a discount over it. and the more people love it, the more it stays for everyone to see.

Your contributions are fun and interesting Caitlin, always.

Don't forget self loving Canoro, organising your push to the top. Eg: stuff like... "If you want to turn your computer on, make sure to press the start button" +1 kudos, 3 lurvz *wowee i's famous and really helping LL. lol *hurlz

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Well the self loving in public is nothing really new. Especially for the mutual admiration society yes. Interesting how people banned from inworld can help the self lovers isnt it? Weird stuff indeed. There is a wonderful solution of course Skyrim! wewt! LOL.

@Tari LMAO now that is hilarious. "Someones friends are more popular than others" wasnt it?, What a classic! Why the need for self loving then? < and thats forums & slums in a nutshell really. Thath all folks -
Boomtish!

There now, you have written it.  If the solution is Skyrim (wewt!) then why the drama over loving on SLum?  If you dislike seeing little hearts all over the feeds, kill some stuff.  You will feel better.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

im gonna bring this in order to have more perspectives over the possible uses and misuses of the trending feature of the feeds:

griefing

lets say someone have something against someone, she was cheated in a relationship, or has a business competitor, and decides to post something really negative (griefer style) about that person or company, has some alts to love the griefing a lot, and that post remains top trending unless some other post have more loves.

advertising

a company offers a promotion that anyone who gives love to a product post, get a discount over it. and the more people love it, the more it stays for everyone to see.

Mr Philipp, a point of order. I understand that it only requires two loves for a post to Trend, and that further loves make no difference to its sustained exhibition on the Trending feed, and it is when newer posts are loved that it gets pushed down the display. :matte-motes-grin:

The Judge

/insists on accurate forensic evidence.

jujmental wrote:

Thank you for a succinct explanation of the basis for your participation in the feeds, Ms Tobias; it sounds as if you might be channelling the thoughts of Chairman Torley there, actually. :smileyvery-happy:

The Judge

/Would you care to comment on the nature of your association with that redoubtable fellow?

//Please remember that you are still under oath.

Um.

I will explain it all in a snaphot on my feed, soon.

two loves for trending sounds unreasonable, the more loves a post have the more it should stay on top.

ill change that:

griefing

a griefer want to give bad reputation to someone, posts something really negative repeatedly, love it two times with the help of just 1 alt, and have its profile posts for everyone to see.

advertising

someone post advertising to his/her store repeatedly and loves it two times so the advertising will always be there.

the way it is right now thats the only possibilities that i see that it can be gamed for bad purposes or be used for advertising, i see nothing wrong in the advertising part tho, anyone can post anything they want in their feed.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

two loves for trending sounds unreasonable, the more loves a post have the more it should stay on top.

ill change that:

griefing

a griefer want to give bad reputation to someone, posts something really negative repeatedly, love it two times with the help of just 1 alt, and have its profile posts for everyone to see.

advertising

someone post advertising to his/her store repeatedly and loves it two times so the advertising will always be there.

the way it is right now thats the only possibilities that i see that it can be gamed for bad purposes or be used for advertising, i see nothing wrong in the advertising part tho, anyone can post anything they want in their feed.

Maybe they have the settings all backwards or set such that if you get too much Love your feed shuts down.

I know atm I can't love Rod anymore.  Maybe the wandering windmill slayer would like more loving?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

ill change that:

griefing

advertising

Maybe they have the settings all backwards or set such that if you get too much Love your feed shuts down.

I know atm I can't love Rod anymore.  Maybe the wandering windmill slayer would like more loving?

Just spreading the 'love'.  Here are 2 loves (one for each so not enough to trend)  /me gives extra long hugs to both Perrie and Conoro.  They are just long enough to make you both blush and feel just a bit uncomfortable.  If I had an alt, I would send him/her in here for the second round of love so all this could be public...  Perhaps you should also love each other....  No self-love is needed in a threesome...  Just saying...

Cinn

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Sorry, Maryanne.  It's not like it didn't occur to me that I should have just kept my mouth shut, but, to be honest, I'm just sick and tired of all the fighting.  It's responsible for tearing apart friendships and fracturing our little community here... a community that I care about a lot.

I saw your OP as a not-so-thinly veiled attempt to stir up drama once again... it's like poking a hornets nest with a stick.  It does no good for anyone and, in the end, they are no winners... just destruction.

It has also occurred to me that my reply to you came off as if I was singling you out... and perhaps, in my moment of anger, that's just what I did... for that I apologize.  It's the entirety of the situation, that has me so frustrated and disillusioned... not any single thing anyone has done.  It's the culmination of the actions of all parties concerned and my inability to do anything about it that hurts me the most.  I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

...Dres

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

ill change that:

griefing

advertising

Just spreading the 'love'.  Here are 2 loves (one for each so not enough to trend)  /me gives extra long hugs to both Perrie and Conoro.  They are just long enough to make you both blush and feel just a bit uncomfortable.  If I had an alt, I would send him/her in here for the second round of love so all this could be public...  Perhaps you should also love each other....  No self-love is needed in a threesome...  Just saying...

Cinn

Maybe we can start a giant group hug here! 

Who knows, maybe it will be so contagious that Mr. or Mrs. Linden Lab will join in the festivity.

/me wraps my arm around Cinn and squeezes tight.

/me shakes Canoro's hand.  (sorry, but i don't do guys)

Maryanne Solo wrote:

@Tari LMAO now that is hilarious. "Someones friends are more popular than others" wasnt it?, What a classic! Why the need for self loving then? < and thats forums & slums in a nutshell really. Thath all folks -
Boomtish!

I don't know why the need for self loving. I still don't understand why you care, either. You haven't exactly done a very good job of explaining WHY this is such a huge issue that it makes you throw a verbal virtual tanturm over it.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

griefing

advertising

The griefing is going to happen regardless of how many "loves" it requires, because humans are involved and frankly not all humans can behave themselves like adults.

I still don't see what's wrong with the advertising or how it's considered "gaming". Using the feeds as a promotional tool doesn't exactly seem like a bad thing to me. Perhaps it's because I see people using all sorts of avenues given to them by LL for promoting their products/services and rarely do we see anyone complaining about it. If everyone and their mother is given the exact same tools, but fails to use them, they've no one to blame but themselves. There's a pretty easy solution to the "problem" though, you can ignore what you don't want to see, lol. It's not a difficult concept.

Thank you Dres, I do understand and your opinion is highly valued by most everyone incuding myself. If I am subject to criticism thats fine. Why can't questions like this be asked of the Linden Labs community?. <(statement not a question)

The fora and the feeds are not the personal domain of a chosen few. For a love feature to be instantly siezed as a tool for self promotion > not business promotion Tari < speaks volumes of how the labs good intent is hijacked for.. well... public self loving. Shouldn't this activity be relocated to Zindra also? ^^

How is it that the majority, see such a tool as something to spread good cheer and warm feelings to others and a minority use it in an attempt to either grief/incite or mistakenly enhance their own standing? 

This is exactly how Kudos has, unfortunately, been abused from the beginning of the Lithium forum era.

Both things are simply wonderful and beneficial for everyone if used as the Labs Intended.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.