Gaming the Slums to trend

Maryanne Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

oh i now see your pictures, after i log in.

the public trends were the ones i was seeing, it seems to be a separate trends about friends.

It all depends on how people set their preferences.  Cait must have her's set for SL only, so you have to be signed in to see her posts.

...Dres

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

the public trends were the ones i was seeing, it seems to be a separate trends about friends.

It all depends on how people set their preferences.  Cait must have her's set for SL only, so you have to be signed in to see her posts.

...Dres

Ah yes, I did that. But no other restrictions though.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

...Dres

And everything is still fine...

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Trending?   What the heck is that?   

Everytime I come to the SL forums, someone is here to alert me to some problem, that I did not even know existed! 

Last time, it was sweet Charolotte, alerting me to stalker....errr...followers.   I mean "followers"!?   Who knew? 

Now, it's
trending
...WT-heck? 

Waaaahhh!  I can't keep up with all this stuff.     *goes off and sulks* 

/me huddles in the corner with Celestiall, wondering what is going on here.

Loved these comments you left on the JIRA (yeah, I watched/voted, but for probably very different reasons):

"We are seeing gaming of the trending feature too now, like has happened from the start of lithium. (Kudos/post count)."  You been listening to Sus?

"Otherwise the trolls will kill off the feeds too, just like the forums."  The forums are doing just fine. They'll be killed off when LL pulls the plug.

Pamela Galli wrote:

/me huddles in the corner with Celestiall, wondering what is going on here.

/me brings some cushions, popcorn watchdrama8jm.gif and a variety of beveragesdrunk-smiley-face.gif and hopes to hang out with Celestiall and Pamela. I know those pages exist but could not care less about them. They have nothing to do with my secondlife! I also don't understand why people who are interested in such things want to settle for anemic copies of the real things like FB and Twitter. Trending? You've got to be kidding?

I'm not sure I understand why this is an issue...but then, I mostly ignore "trending" posts because there's stuff in there I'm not interested in seeing, either. I find I see what I want to see if I stick to the posts that show under my "following" tab (and I make sure I only "follow" those whose posts I actually want to read).

It would be impossible to come up with a system to weed out posts so that only the ones that will be of interest to *everyone* trend. 

well, i really haven't looked at the Slums too much, haven't used them really, so i don't have a fish in this bowl to feed,  but if and when they become more popular i think two loves may be too few to call something a trend.

oh well, i'm at just about at the point where i just about don't care any more

i'm glad for all the things i have learned in these fora

but the mess has wore me out.

Perrie Juran wrote:

well, i really haven't looked at the Slums too much, haven't used them really, so i don't have a fish in this bowl to feed,  but if and when they become more popular i think two loves may be too few to call something a trend.

oh well, i'm at just about at the point where i just about don't care any more

i'm glad for all the things i have learned in these fora

I feel for you Perrie... I've been feeling the same way for a while.  I don't really want to go into it, but suffice it to say that I've limited my interaction here, quite a bit, in the last few weeks.  Between the gang fights and gross mismanagement, the forums have become quite an unpleasant place to spend my time.

I'm hoping, in time, things will get better and my attitude will change... which is why I keep coming back to check.  Until then, I will find other avenues in which to converse in a more pleasant atmosphere.

I've been spending more time inworld lately, which can't be a bad thing.

...Dres

In order for someone to be "gaming" something, don't they have to prosper from in it some way? Though typically it's a monetary gain, it can apply to other gains too, I suppose.

So please explain to me how people are going to prosper from trending? Is it their psuedo-popularity you take issue with....or....?

Yeah I'm lost, throw up a flare please because I have no friggen clue where you were trying to lead me, you lost me on gaming.

I don't really use facebook(other than to sign up for rl freebies and junk :P), I definitely do not use twitter, and I use my.secondlife.(or whatever it's called) even less.  So you're going to have to dumb things way down for me. What exactly is it you take issue with? More importantly than that, WHY do you take issue with it? Even more importantly than that, why should *I* take issue with it? I mean if you're going to propose we take issue with something, stands to reason you should also explain it. I'm all for taking up new causes, but not when I don't understand what on earth is being discussed.

Personally(and I mean absolutely no offense to those who use these outlets), I don't particularly give a rat's left nut who likes, loves, trends, follows, whatever....what another posts. I don't understand why anyone would, lol.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Yep... Sometimes, there are people who really just prefer not to take sides and reading what is obvious here makes it even less fun.

@ Maryanne: I think I was a bit harsh with my words but that because I was a bit upset by the way Feed is being interpreted by some outspoken posters. I think, in an ideal environment, where Feed is used to entertain the public - and not to incite mindless anger and agitation intended for specific group or individual - IS a good thing.

Yes, that is true for the past weeks or so there were war of words between two groups that resulted to some pretty public and pretty stupid moves from all who were involved. One can only imagine what transpired behind the scene and I'm sure they weren't as smart either.

It makes me think if the teenagers, the much younger, Facebook savvy generation were laughing at them that day and secretly wishing that these were not their RL relatives. (I bet with all the politics, pet talks, jumping sides, double agent, double face, etc ... you all would do real good being contestants in Survivor)

My point is, if I want to love myself, I should be given the option to Love myself. I'm a narcissist in that sense.

There! I said what I wanted to say for a long time... Peace Out!

Gee, until this thread, I had no idea they'd actually finished that feature.  For me, it takes several minutes to load--far, far longer than I'd ever think to wait-- on those few occasions that it loads at all.  I guess I can see how it might actually lead to monetary gain if it ever started working reliably and it started being seen by more than a tight circle of mutual admiration enthusiasts.  At the moment, that improbable eventuality isn't giving me great angst, I must say.

Tari Landar wrote:

In order for someone to be "gaming" something, don't they have to prosper from in it some way? Though typically it's a monetary gain, it can apply to other gains too, I suppose.

Do you understand the concept of advertising?

The Judge

/knows that half his advertising is wasted

//so he doubles his free advertising.

jujmental wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

Do you understand the concept of advertising?

The Judge

/knows that half his advertising is wasted

//so he doubles his free advertising.

ROFL, umm yeah I know what advertising is. But most of the "trending" isn't advertising in the least, unless people are selling their opinions for lindens now and that's what they are advertising(interesting concept, I guess, but I don't see it being very lucrative). Aside from that the OP seems more like a whine about the fact that what some has to say seems more popular than what others have to say, and this person believes it should take more for something to be "popular". In other words, a virtual tantrum that someone else has more friends than you do. At least that's exactly how it reads *to me*.

I still don't understand what reason one would have for getting all butthurt over something like this, lol. Aside from the fact that it sounds like an adult version of a toddler's "you don't like me" tantrum, I think the amount of people that actual use(or even look at) mysecondlife is pretty negligible anyway. So, again, what reason is there to rant in a huff about psuedo-popularity? Apparently getting ticked about people getting more "likes" than you is a popular thing to do on FB as well(so I've been told, lol)

Tari Landar wrote:

most of the "trending" isn't advertising in the least

So at what point does the advertising become unacceptable? Does it have to be as annoying and persistent as the tv programme spammers for LL to do something about it? Or not as is pretty evidently the case at the moment. :matte-motes-smug:

Do you agree with the suggestion that advertising of land, products, events, personal services should be untrammelled? Do you think that real world goods and services (like the tv spammers) should be allowed in the feed, because at the moment it seems unlikely that LL has any contingency plans in position to prevent such an outbreak? Do you think that two "loves" is sufficient for a comment to qualify for publication to *all* feeds, or might you perhaps consider that an effective way of restricting  such potential promotional opportunities would be to stop residents loving themselves and require a significantly higher number of loves before considering the item as Trending? Do you think that perhaps it might make more sense to categorise comments so that some intelligent selection criteria might be available to residents to positively subscribe to? :matte-motes-sarcasm:

If you don't have opinions on these issues, or perhaps won't or can't express them, then perhaps your contribution to this thread is less than desirable, and can be safely ignored while others discuss the validity of the OP and, if I may be so bold, the useful questions I have raised above. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

The Judge

/is looking for a smiley with a wig.

Venus Petrov wrote:

You are absolutely correct.  Why *would* anyone get bent over how many 'loves' any single post gets?  Or kudos, for that matter?   In the grand scheme of things, these are nothing more than playground fodder.

ETA:  SLum has already seen spamming.  It aint pretty.

Miss Petrov, you have the floor to explain your remarks vis-a-vis the philosophy espoused by our esteemed former leader. :matte-motes-inlove:

The Judge

/will be interested to see if this post gets removed for advertising. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Nicely played, Judge.

+1 Kudo

Miss Petrov, you shouldn't have.

The Judge

/No, Miss Petrov, you shouldn't have!

//In my rl court that would be a seven day sentence for attempting to bribe a court official

///with counterfeit funds!

/\/And you have probably noticed what happens to those who disrespect the authority of The Judge

jujmental wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Nicely played, Judge.

+1 Kudo

Miss Petrov, you shouldn't have.

The Judge

/No, Miss Petrov, you
shouldn't
have!

//In my rl court that would be a seven day sentence for attempting to bribe a court official

///with counterfeit funds!

/\/And you have probably noticed what happens to those who disrespect the authority of The Judge

+1 love

Resume of this OP:

Not worth the discussion, hardly anyone sees the issue and oh...:  what are we talking about?

Next please, with some snapshots for the fun of it!

ETA: I prefer to just call it SL feeds or Profile Feeds (or simply  feeds, if you are too lazy to type), calling it  SLum is just to silly for words. Meh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.