Sign in to follow this  
Michi Alchemi

Where do I start?

I have been trying to figure out how to get started RPing in second life for some time now, and I'm still baffled. Do new characters just wander on to an RP sim and hope to bump into someone? Is there some sort of introduction process? Is there someone you should talk to before you show up? How do you know when there will be people there?

I'd also love a sim recommendation or two. I'm pretty open when it comes to genre, though I slightly prefer fantasy to sci-fi, with a particular interest in steampunk and cyberpunk. I'd prefer non- or low-combat to lots of combat. I'd also like to try playing a demon at some point, though, again, I don't particularly care in which genre.  I'm much more interesting in finding a cool group of people to RP with. Or, um, any group of people to RP with, since I don't appear to be having much luck on my own.

Most RP areas post their information at the entrance of that area where note cards and groups joins describe the rules for their sim.  Often they will have an admin and you can find those in the groups as well.

What I suggest is that you find out how to go in with an OOC tag or an Observer tag. Normally this is also at the entrance.  Once you enter, you can observe but not participate in open chat.  You may want to find someone not in character and ask them in IM for more information.

You might want to hang out for a bit and watch.

As for Sims to suggest, there are many in Search and I suggest you start there.

Yep, you just wander in; usually the Area or Region has a host or hostess who helps starting role players.

Some Groups use Joining the role Group as a form of introduction or induction (lol), other Group openly recruit and may find you before you find them.

It would be wise to try and learn as much as possible about a RP group and or the subject or theme being role played prior to joining a group.

Hmm, you should care about the genre. The quantity of excitment you will be able to extract will be in direct proportion to that which you contribute.

There are many Role play groups in SL, I recommend taking some time to find a RP group that you are passionate about. 

Doing nothing is doing something. The movie The Big Lebowski taught me that. :smileyhappy:

Welcome to the Second Life Forums, Michi.

You already sound like you've got some idea of your preferred roleplay genres.  There are some places recommended on the Destination Guide http://secondlife.com/destinations/roleplay  and these might be a good place to start. 

Usually there are notecards with further information and rules as you arrive in the landing points of the roleplay sims, and, as the others in this thread have suggested, observe first to become familiar with the environment and activities.

Have fun !

Thanks, and that's all helpful advice, but I am still having trouble.  How do I find an RP sim that actually has people on it? Even the ones that the destination guide says are populated often aren't. How do I know what times there will tend to be people around? I've tried poking around the websites of various RP groups, but I've never found anything to indicate when they are usually there. And I have visited more desolate RP sims than I can count. Maybe I'm in a weird time zone?

Well, you said you would like fantasy, right? Have you been to Mystara? I've played there from time to time myself, and it's two of the most active RP sims I've seen in SL. Doesn't particularly focus on combat, and there are two equally active OOC goups where you could probably ask for people to help you get into the RP.

Mystara has never really worked for me, personally, but it could be worth checking out for you.

I second the suggestion of Mystara, as it is very active.

Other than that, just wander around from rp sim to rp sim. Some may only have one or two people at a time, but as long as they frequently have at least one or two people, you can still rp. The hard part is, indeed, finding a populated roleplay sim in which you feel comfortable; and I think this can be harder when you don't know exactly what you're looking for. Check out the rest of this subforum, too, as well as the "favorite destinations" subforum; many people post their favorite rp sims, or their own rp sims.

As for getting started...Yup. You just wander in. Some places have mentors, so you can ask around, check the rules or any posted boards, etc. and see if one of them will help you get started, be your first rp partner in the sim and such. Also join the group; most groups wouldn't take offense to someone popping in and saying they're new, and asking for help getting started.

Remember that even if there's no one in the sim at that moment, there might be in another few minutes. Feel free to park yourself somewhere and wait. Maybe clean out your inventory or something. Don't go afk, and pay attention to your surroundings so you'll notice if someone shows up. You can start an rp with a simple "/me looks up and sees a curious-looking stranger, and waves hello." or something. Then it's up to them to respond, or not.

I think the best place to start in RP is with you. Step one is to define the character you want to be. Once you know who you are it will be easier to get into any RP. This will take some thought, and visits to the RP sim you want to take part in, find some notecards about the sim, and build a you that reflects the place. Once you have done this it's just like real life....wander the RP sim, meet people. Just like in real life I find if the sim has a bar its a good place to start. You can also seach groups that pertain to the sim you want to RP in, find a group and contact the leader. Often enough good rp groups will help you get started. 

We have a list of sci-fi RP sims under Galaxy Map/Hyperspace Bypass at http://h2g2sl.wordpress.com/ most of them have very active RP. 

Hi Michi, If a group doesn't have a calendar on their website, or if you join their group and don't see any group notices, that's a sign the sim might not be very active. The most common ways to advertise times when people will be in a sim are through group notices and outside calendars of some form.

I'd echo that it's a good idea to hang out a bit if someone else is there. I can't count the number of times we started an event in our sim with two avatars, and within a few minutes we had a dozen. Oftentimes a lot of people are being like you, and checking to see if anyone's around.

Another question that's often up in the air is how helpful people at a sim will be. This is almost like playing slots - if you get the right people and walk in at the right time, it's magic. But much of the time, you might walk in on inexperienced or absorbed people who don't know how to mentor people. It can all be frustratingly random ... think of checking out roleplay sims as a bit like that old line about how you kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince ...

What time zone are you in? SLdoes often skew toward North American times.

How much experience to you have in Roleplaying?  If you are a newcomer and have little to no experience, you have a long uphill battle ahead of you.  If you spend the time to visit and explore any of the sims in SL, you're going to come across a community who has absolutely no time, patience or tolerance for new inexperienced players.  Yes, they may try to promote themselves as being friendly and welcoming to any and all interested parties, but the fact is they would much rather have well-seasoned veterans who already have a clear understanding of the rules and guidelines of proper Roleplaying without having to break out of character for any reason whatsoever. 

Mentors?  Sure, they may have them but only if they happen to be inworld and if they happen to have the time and interest to help you.

Classes?  don't bother, there aren't any.  Classes require people with an actual interest in helping you.

If you really want to persue this activity then read the suggestions posted by the people who frequent this forum and pay close attention to what they have to say.  If you are clueless was to which way to go, they can point you in the right direction.  In my personal opinion, you'd be better off turning around and finding something else to do rather than wasting your time trying to fit in where you don't belong.  RP sims are nice enough places to visit, but they just don't want you there.

Michi, when I was a newbie, I had NO clue about RP and did not even know that is what I wanted to do when I first came into SL. However, I found a WONDERFUL set of sims which include Sylvhara, Tarue Ru, Island of Shadows, Vana, and many more. We do try to help out those who are new, and there are classes offered from time to time to help you learn how to RP. All you need to do is send someone an IM and ask them to point you in the right direction. Many of us will let you know who to talk to depending on the sim you wish to play in. There are mentors available too depending on your race and class. 

My suggestion is to do a search, that is how I found the sims I ended up in, and find one that is most comfortable and welcoming to your needs. Once you find a sim you like, try to contact one of the admin as they SHOULD help you to get started or at least point you to a mentor. Hope you found this helpful!

Thank you for all of the advice!

Answers to specific questions:

I'm not inexperienced at RP in general. I've played tabletop games for years, LARPed, para rp in both chat and forums, and some other ways. I'm just looking for some RP in second life. 

My time zone is EST, and I think that I just had bad luck in the past, because I've finally managed to find some RP to observe. The suggestions were really helpful, so thanks.

At this point, I have a couple of characters in mind, but it's an awful time to start something new, with the holidays and everything. And I've had some bad luck with stability whenever I'm feeling adventurous.

But I'm confident that everything is going to work out now.  Thank you everyone!

I am the High Priestess of an ancient Macedonian sim. We battle & we also RP. We have party's & other events each week. We are a growing community looking for people who really want to RP. We have the ancient Greek gods/goddesses & so if you want to RP a demon sometime, Im sure thats fine.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, come visit us:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Hellas/18/112/23

or contact me online: Jeanie Feiri