My house is just, gone?

Kage Klaxon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So the story goes is I have a close friend who got me started on SL back in 2007 who had a small 20x20(ish) parcel of land that he has had for free since, I don't know 2005 or so? Well in 2009 he more or less gave me that small parcel because he became a Premium member and got that free house deal. The parcel was still in his name but I got invited by the owner of the land group to the land group so I could rez my own objects there in that small 20x20 parcel.

Today, out of no where and without warning, while I was there, Governor Linden (I assume a bot) came out of no where on the ground, (house was 550m in the air) and suddenly the house itself that was in my friend's Name was returned, and my furniture and other bits and pieces here and there I rezzed to customize the place a bit more to my liking, was returned.

I just talked with my friend last night, so there's no real communication issue going on between us. Far as I know, he recieved no kind of warning, and I know for a fact that I recieved no such warning because I was online and THERE when this happened.

What for reasons would somethingl ike this happen? And pardon of I sound a bit hostile but I am. We never paid rent, never had a complaint, never got reported, and never had an issue with the land owner/group owner. And as far as I can tell the Land Owner is still active.

I'm posting this here because this is the first time I've had this sort of issue and I'm not quite sure how to use SL Support regarding this issue or if I should even be the one to bring this up since technically that parcel was in my friend's name. Anyone please help?

the only reasons i know of for gov linden to come along and return stuff is when the land owner vanishes from SL doesn't continue to pay tier on the land and some time later the gov comes along claims back the land and returns all the objects. the other when the land owner abandons the land it automatically reverts to gov linden when it get's sent to auction it's cleared 

I don't know something tells me it wasn't just a simple matter of reverting the region back to default ownership to Governor Linden because there are still several other parcels next to mine and throughout the region that still have homes/buildings on it. Thanks for the info though..

For your friend to have a small parcel "for free" they already would have been a Premium member. By setting up that group and donating their 512 M2 of "free tier" to the group, they continued paying for that parcel you were on.

When they chose to get a Linden Home, they increased their tier, because the Linden Home is another 512 M2 of land. If they didn't pay the $5 a month tier to LL, then LL would confiscate the group owned land eventually, because they didn't have enough tier paid for to cover their donation to your land group.

Your friend probably did not realize that accepting that Linden Home bumped them up into a higher tier level. If their payment method on file didn't have enough credit free to pay the increased bill, the Linden repo team will eventually come calling. Check with your friend again, and have them check the spam filter on their e-mail. They may have been warned by LL of insufficent funds, and not seen the mail because it went to the spam bit bucket.

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

Another possibility is land encroachment.  Your house may have drifted over time out of your air space into a neighbor's, or likely the house was too big for the 20x20 lot, and an uncommunicative neighbor just AR'd it.

I've never heard of houses drifting thru air: they're positioned, to the milimeter, and are fixated even when you lock the structure. Besides, this is virtual air (as Morpheus would ask Neo, "What, you think that's real air you're breathing?!"); so no air-physics drifting your home.
:)

Moreoverer, land encroachment is not somethng the neighbor would have to call in the Linden Governer bot for: they can simply themselves return any items on their land not belonging to owner (barring prims that stick over your border, but are not counted towards your prim allotment).

Theoretically, the land underneath the skybox could have been repositioned (land drifting, as it were); but it's pretty unthinkable Linden would make such changes without notifying the land owner first.

If I rez a build, and the root prim is in my lot, I can put the entire rest of the build in your lot, and you are powerless to return it.

- This is what encroachment ARs are for.

Any responsible land owner makes sure the things they rez are actually in their land. Otherwise, they get hit with ARs and possibly even temp bans, but usually just items returned by the lindens when the AR gets processed.

ps: this is also how linden homes work. The root prim is on the linden owned land, but the entire rest of the build is on the part you own - leaving you powerless to remove the linden home. 

kiramanell wrote:

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

I've never heard of houses drifting thru air: they're positioned, to the milimeter, and are fixated even when you lock the structure. Besides, this is virtual air (as Morpheus would ask Neo, "What, you think that's real air you're breathing?!"); so no air-physics drifting your home.
:)

Moreoverer, land encroachment is not somethng the neighbor would have to call in the Linden Governer bot for: they can simply themselves return any items on their land not belonging to owner (barring prims that stick over your border, but are not counted towards your prim allotment).

Theoretically, the land underneath the skybox could have been repositioned (land drifting, as it were); but it's pretty unthinkable Linden would make such changes without notifying the land owner first.

There's a phenomenon called "prim drift" where SL objects can move slightly over time - I think it's caused by the mathematical position being changed slightly due to rounding in calculations. It can be serious enough for entire buildings to come apart. The root prim might have drifted over a neighbors' lot and they could have returned it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the land owner either got tired of people living there for free and abandoned the land, or, stopped paying his bills to Linden Lab and had the land taken.

Sometimes people stop paying for SL or leave SL long before the system catches up to them. 

If the person is still active in SL and you are sure of that, then go back to explanation # 1.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.