Official Resources courtesy Void Singer

Venus Petrov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sure Thinkerer's information does help a lot of new residents, but from what I've seen, it is mostly information he has taken from these forums, and then chinese whispered onto his own blogsite.

Void, on the other hand, gives 100% accurate advice, based on her own experiences and learning in Second Life.

These Forums are a lot less rich without Void.

Thank you Venus, for posting this link again.  

I was wondering where that post went yesterday.  Thanks for reposting the link, it is much more comprehensive than what the Community Manager posted.  I hope Void is able to come back soon.  Even if she is frustrated with LL, noobs like myself would really benefit from her return.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

AliceOneders wrote:

...  I hope Void is able to come back soon.  Even if she is frustrated with LL,
noobs like myself
would really benefit from her return.  

EVERYONE benefits from her return.  Especially LL.

She is without peer in her value and contribution to this forum and SL.  

Here Here!  I second that!

Peace!

As the author of yesterday's thread that has now been removed it would have been nice to have been notified that my thread and post had been deleted as is the usual custom and the reasons as to why.  If it was an offending subsequent post or posts then why weren't they deleted and the thread allowed to remain in tact as is also the usual practice?

I'll repeat what I said yesterday, Void's contact/support list is far more thorough and useful to residents than the present sticky atop.  Time for someone in the moderation/forum team to make the smart call and swap them around.

P.S. Thanks Venus for spotting this and re-posting.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I believe I know why the link disappeared. I'm not going to say it in this thread or this one might disappear too. But it does seem obvious why it disappeared - along with other posts in the last couple of days.

Was it perhaps because there was too much information being disseminated? I believe that information, like people, should be free - not as in beer. This forum occasionally asks difficult questions, and sometimes the answers are difficult too.

If answers are incorrect it is usually more instructive to point out their inaccuracy and provide the correct answers, rather than simply to suppress the wrong ones; these forums would, however, be decimated (and I use the word in its correct sense, even if it does tend to provoke a hyperbolic reaction!) if incorrect answers were removed as a matter of course.

Which leaves one to ponder on why accurate answers might be removed . . .

This being the Age of the Graceful Failover, however (even if this is not always the case) information tends to be maintained in backup locations.

Join THE Cult and I will shine a light even into the darkest corners.

Father "I enjoy a peppy blog" Jim

madjim wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I believe I know why the link disappeared. I'm not going to say it in this thread or this one might disappear too. But it does seem obvious why it disappeared - along with other posts in the last couple of days.

...these forums would, however, be decimated (and I use the word in its correct sense, even if it does tend to provoke a hyperbolic reaction!) if incorrect answers were removed as a matter of course....

I'm sorry, I'm confused.  You're saying that saying these forums would be reduced by 10% causes a type of curve?  No, I'm not being serious, but are you sure you know what 'decimate' means? (The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth")

Let's favour **bleep**-up over conspiracy people - Void left because a final incompetent straw broke the back of her patience.  LL have never provided decent support, help or documentation but sometimes they get annoyed when someone else does.  Who knows why?  Some of us will keep doing their job for them until we too become fed up with the way they treat residents.  Then someone else will take over from us.  LL has a winning business plan - do what you like and let the customers sort out everything that doesn't work.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote: are you sure you know what 'decimate' means? (
The word 
decimation
 is derived from 
Latin
 meaning "removal of a tenth"
)

Yep. I was actually being complimentary about how few incorrect responses you get in GD.

Father "says what he means and means what he says" Jim

Venus Petrov wrote:

This link was posted yesterday as an aid to those seeking resources for various issues.  I do not know why it disappeared, but
it is again.

Void Singer compiled it with the help of other residents before she left SLF.  It is full of very helpful information.

Jolly good.  I'm not bumping....honest.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Let's favour **bleep**-up over conspiracy people - Void left because a final incompetent straw broke the back of her patience.  LL have never provided decent support, help or documentation but sometimes they get annoyed when someone else does.  Who knows why?  Some of us will keep doing their job for them until we too become fed up with the way they treat residents.  Then someone else will take over from us.  LL has a winning business plan - do what you like and let the customers sort out everything that doesn't work.

Bingo.

madjim wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Was it perhaps because there was too much information being disseminated?

No, I don't think that at all. I believe it was removed out of sheer pride. Someone dared to say that someone else's post was much better than the "Linden Lab" post; i.e. the thread was critical of one of the "Linden Lab" posters. Individual posts have also silently disappeared when they dared to criticise a "Linden Lab" post. It's just childish pride.

And I believe that pride is the reason why those idiotic "discuss here" threads were sticky. There can't any other reason. "We are Linden Lab. We are so important that our threads must not sink below the first page."

None of the disappearances were done by moderators, unless they've got rid of the moderators and are doing it themselves now. So the author of the disappeared thread, and the writers of the individual posts that disappeared, wouldn't have been informed.

Phil Deakins wrote: None of the disappearances were done by moderators, unless they've got rid of the moderators and are doing it themselves now. So the author of the disappeared thread, and the writers of the individual posts that disappeared, wouldn't have been informed.

But Lexie Linden herself assured us that posts would not be removed without notification and explanation. Are we now to distrust commitments made by Community Managers?

Father "Trust in me" Jim

madjim wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote: None of the disappearances were done by moderators, unless they've got rid of the moderators and are doing it themselves now. So the author of the disappeared thread, and the writers of the individual posts that disappeared, wouldn't have been informed.

But Lexie Linden herself assured us that posts would not be removed without notification and explanation. Are we now to distrust commitments made by Community Managers?

Father "Trust in me" Jim

That is not entirely true, Father.  Lexie said that if one had a post removed due to a violation of a CG, one would be notified by a mod.  They also remove posts where the offending post was quoted without telling the author.  They will also remove entire threads without informing the OP.  One can always ask the mods via PM why something was removed.  One will only be informed if the removal was due to a violation.

Venus Petrov wrote:

madjim wrote:

Father "Trust in me" Jim

That is not entirely true, Father.  Lexie said that if one had a post removed due to a violation of a CG, one would be notified by a mod.  They also remove posts where the offending post was quoted without telling the author.  They will also remove entire threads without informing the OP.  One can always ask the mods via PM why something was removed.  One will only be informed if the removal was due to a violation.

I'm still awaiting a reply from Genn on an outstanding PM asking why a post was deleted.

Phil Deakins wrote:

madjim wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Was it perhaps because there was too much information being disseminated?

No, I don't think that at all. I believe it was removed out of sheer pride. Someone dared to say that someone else's post was much better than the "Linden Lab" post; i.e. the thread was critical of one of the "Linden Lab" posters. Individual posts have also silently disappeared when they dared to criticise a "Linden Lab" post. It's just childish pride.

And I believe that pride is the reason why those idiotic "discuss here" threads were sticky. There can't any other reason. "
We are Linden Lab. We are so important that our threads must not sink below the first page.
"

None of the disappearances were done by moderators, unless they've got rid of the moderators and are doing it themselves now. So the author of the disappeared thread, and the writers of the individual posts that disappeared, wouldn't have been informed.

This ^^

...Dres (...although I would replace pride with hubris.)

Clear
ContributorVoid Singer
Contributor

Official Resources?

[ Edited ]

11-07-2011 05:36 AM - last edited on 12-16-2011 11:00 PM

I had a thought to compile a list of official resources, available from Linden Lab, as a go to source for official information regarding problems one might encounter in SL.

The list I'm attempting to compile is of only the LL direct sources, since most of the informal sources (such as these forums) are fairly well known and often suggested, but not everyone is aware of all the official sources...

so to jump start this list, I'm going to throw out some categories, and populate a few of them, and would welcome any suggestions for Official LL Resources only (which I'll do my best to update into this post)

UPDATED Dec 16, 2:58 PM (PST)

Information on current events and changes within SL:

Basic Information and Common questions:
  •  (A twitter account that redirects users to the likeliest resource)
  •  (a collection of preformated questions and answers on a variety of topics)
  •  (collection of video detailing how to do many basic tasks and showcasing SL content)
  •  (only some information found here is official)

Basic support:
  •  (something to get you started if you are new to SL)
  •  (can't save your payment info? got overcharged by LL, go here)
  •  (AKA 
    Support Portal
    , for problems that you are personally experiencing, should be logged in if possible)
    •  (must be premium member and logged into the website, limited hours)
  • (find out about known bugs, possible workaraounds, and keep updated on the ones important to you)

Active Focus Groups:
  • user group (meets on beta grid [aditi] focuses on upcoming features and fixes)
  •  user group (meets twice weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on current server limitations and workaraounds)
  •  user group (meets weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on scripting bugs and new features)
  •  user group (meets week on main grid [agni] focuses largely on mesh)
  •  user group (focuses on webside resources for SL)
     - Closed

I only gathered some of the obvious links, it could used fleshed out with contact phone numbers, emails and other direct LL supported resources (one in which an employee of linden lab either directly answers, or can point you to the correct resource)

- Farewell to your ports and good luck to you all

Sy Beck wrote:

Clear
Contributor
Contributor

05-29-2009

Official Resources?

[ Edited ]

11-07-2011

05:36 AM

- last edited on 
12-16-2011

11:00 PM

I had a thought to compile a list of official resources, available from Linden Lab, as a go to source for official information regarding problems one might encounter in SL.

The list I'm attempting to compile is of only the LL direct sources, since most of the informal sources (such as these forums) are fairly well known and often suggested, but not everyone is aware of all the official sources...

so to jump start this list, I'm going to throw out some categories, and populate a few of them, and would welcome any suggestions for Official LL Resources only (which I'll do my best to update into this post)

•  (collection of video detailing how to do many basic tasks and showcasing SL content)

Basic support:
  •  (AKA 
    Support Portal
    , for problems that you are personally experiencing, should be logged in if possible)
  • (find out about known bugs, possible workaraounds, and keep updated on the ones important to you)

Active Focus Groups:
  • user group (meets on beta grid [aditi] focuses on upcoming features and fixes)
  •  user group (meets twice weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on current server limitations and workaraounds)
  •  user group (meets weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on scripting bugs and new features)
     - Closed

I only gathered some of the obvious links, it could used fleshed out with contact phone numbers, emails and other direct LL supported resources (one in which an employee of linden lab either directly answers, or can point you to the correct resource)

• 2 weeks later...

Sy Beck wrote:

Sy Beck wrote:

Clear
Contributor
Contributor

05-29-2009

Official Resources?

[ Edited ]

11-07-2011

05:36 AM

- last edited on 
12-16-2011

11:00 PM

Basic support:
  •  (AKA 
    Support Portal

Active Focus Groups:
     - Closed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.