Memory hogging/memory leak with the new viewer version?

Deckland McCullough

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I downloaded the newest Viewer from LL earlier and I noticed a huge difference in how slow things were. I tweaked the settings lower and things seemed fine. However, I opened up Task Manager and found that in the Memory column, instead of what it normally might have been (200,000-300,000k at most on a bad day), it is now over 1millionK under Memory. I exited and opened a new instance and encountered the same numbers.

Anyone else having this problem? Or, is it actually a problem? x3

I usually use the BETA version of SL, but with the 3.2.4 I was constantly crashing. I was dreading when it came to the regular viewer.. but my textures were going black without updating and so I updated... *smh* I should have stuck with the black textures.. I have random screen tears and stretched pixels from whatever I'm wearing.. for example my hair sculpties and textures randomly fill up the screen once in a while. It's driving me batty. But on the beta I'm still randomly freezing and crashing.

I have an ATI card.. as far as I remember SL and ATI never got along. This is seriously upsetting me. I went back to the regular viewer because I do photography and things were messed up with the new snapshot area and now EVERYTHING seems to be messed up for me. I also have over 1million in memory, so it's not just you. 3rd party viewers do the same thing to me so that's why I didn't use them. 

actually for me this last update is the best, loggs in without having to uncheck the BASIC SHADERS, so basiclly they resolved the Open GL code, the rest is perfect.

The Memory is exactly as it has always been, when i 1st open Sl it is like 300-400, and after like 5-6 hours it reaches 800 maybe more, but that is normal considering the things that SL loads during game play, though no lagg

The problem is a general problem and can be reduced to a single feature: Mesh! Mesh needs memory allocated in a special way and LL switched to Google's tcmalloc to do that. But tcmalloc is known for not properly releasing freed memory to the operating system, so memory usage will raise continually over time. Go to a place with 30 people standing around close to each other and cam around a bit and you can see memory usage actually explode, but not go down the same way when you leave the place.

Boo :)

Viewer 2/3 based = 700MB jus tto startup. Soon as you start moving around to sims, over 1gig easily.

Viewer 1 base is less, but it eventually goes over a gig when in a sim with more avis.

Back before Viewer 2 i could esily run 4SL at one time on my 6GIG machine. Now i can only run 2 if i relog a lot to start the memory usage over again.

As i write this, my viewer is at 1,571,850 (1.5 gigs of memory). 

I am on a 64bit system. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.