What is the best way to dump someone?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As much as I personally feel a distinct abhorrence for the mutual suffering that arises when two partners reach a point when one of them realises that there is no future in the relationship, I have a stream of potential recruits to The Cult contacting me on a regular basis who wish to make a commitment to our community, but who realise that either their partner would not appreciate the benefits of joining us, or who actively want to get away from someone who is preventing them from achieving their potential fulfillment.

I have no experience in such matters, as none who have ever joined with me have wished to break the spiritual and concrete link that we have forged, so I am turning to you out there in the forums for your suggestions and recommendations.

I would exhort you to be frank and free with your advice; my perception is that I have little need to encourage you.

Father "we also accept credit cards" Jim

You don't know how to break up with a partner? 

1.  You tell them it's not them, it's you.

2. You tell them you just are not compatible but that you still want to be friends

3. You run off with someone else and send them an IM and tell them you've joined the navy

4. You fake a death certificate and have someone send it to them.

5. Tell them that you recently developed a sudden attraction to a member of the same (or if you are gay/lesbian the opposite) sex.

6. Suggest that you and your significant other go out to dinner. Right after the food is delivered to your table, excuse yourself to the bathroom to go wash your hands. Find your waiter in the back and hand him a note that you wrote and ask him to give it to your significant other. Then leave.

However, if you are the leader of a cult, give them Kool-Aid.

Well, if it is your partner expressing they want the departure from your cul...erm relationship, I would strongly recommend to just let your partner leave with out consequence.  It really should not be that difficult if it is a mutual decision.  If one still harbors feelings, then a frank discussion maybe the way to go.  But my best advice: rip off the band aid and don't pick at the scab.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

However, if you are the leader of a cult, give them Kool-Aid.

SL is a cult and you must have already drank the Kool-Aid to be posting here. No self-respecting IT professional would use something like SL. That's why none of the developers are actual users of SL. While they're developing, they're poking each other on Facebook.

This guy asked me to join a cult and you're not invited. Sorry, I don't make the Policy.

I'm going in this direction >>>, you can go with me if you want. (if not, there's your answer)

I love you, but not as much as I would love to do what I want.

I don't love you.

I'm not the best liar. The Game of Love is played on a Battlefield. The fairness of love is compared to the fairness found in war.

I still don't understand how something that has fallen to get where it is can be dumped.

madjim wrote:

As much as I personally feel a distinct abhorrence for the mutual suffering that arises when two partners reach a point when one of them realises that there is no future in the relationship, I have a stream of potential recruits to The Cult contacting me on a regular basis who wish to make a commitment to our community, but who realise that either their partner would not appreciate the benefits of joining us, or who actively want to get away from someone who is preventing them from achieving their potential fulfillment.

I have no experience in such matters, as none who have ever joined with me have wished to break the spiritual and concrete link that we have forged, so I am turning to you out there in the forums for your suggestions and recommendations.

I would exhort you to be frank and free with your advice; my perception is that I have little need to encourage you.

Father "we also accept credit cards" Jim

Easy... tell them to hire a hitman.  Physical messes are easier to clean up than emotional ones.

...Dres

• 1 month later...

sooner or later in a relationship, things tend to cool down.

The best way to handle things is to not define a relationship in the first place.

My SL partner, who has been so since we were N00BZZ, well anyways we don't really define things.

We did not see each other for over a year but we hang out again.

If you have to define a relationship, it is best to go with "friends with benefits".

I mean you don't really "dump" friends and if the romance vanishes, not a big loss.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.