Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

In all my training and understanding of computers, I see a wonderful future for everyone in SecondLife.  It is true not all will benefit from the this technology.  I do not see how the food industry can benefit from SL unless they want to share information in a way that SecondLife can only offer.

I have seen this 3-D virtual reality grow a lot since I first started in Augutst 17, 2007.  I have seen a good many make real life money in SL.  There is more to SL than making a living.  Education is an all time high.  There is so much that can be done in the conventional world.  SecondLife broadens that horizon.  I think that with all the social netowrking system, including SecondLife, the economy can move in the direction it should.  The Industrial Age was a wonderful experience.  Now it is the 21st Century and beyond.  We need to focus on this new age...I call "The Global Humanity Age."

All the social networking has reached it peak and still growing biger and faster.  SecondLife is one of them with a different aspect, 3-D reality.  In its wonder, I hope that onter innovations will come forth.  As there are different types of ways we socialize online (FaceBook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc.), there can be other innovative ways to share and experience 3-D online activities as we might do in real life but never had the chance.

Another big thing that shows promise in SL is people that could not do things in real life are doing so for the first time in SecondLife.  In all honesty, I wonder when SL was first created, did Linden Labs realize how much it is a second life if not a first life to some?  That concept is growing still.  I see it all the time.  That is why I am honored to be a premium account to this day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic


MasterJedi Nayar wrote:

I have seen this 3-D virtual reality grow a lot since I first started in Augutst 17, 2007.  I have seen a good many make real life money in SL.  There is more to SL than making a living.  Education is an all time high.  There is so much that can be done in the conventional world.  SecondLife broadens that horizon.  I think that with all the social netowrking system, including SecondLife, the economy can move in the direction it should.  The Industrial Age was a wonderful experience.  Now it is the 21st Century and beyond. 
We need to focus on this new age
...I call "The Global Humanity Age."

All the social networking has reached it peak and still growing biger and faster
.  SecondLife is one of them with a different aspect, 3-D reality.  In its wonder, I hope that onter innovations will come forth.  As there are different types of ways we socialize online (FaceBook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc.), there can be other innovative ways to share and experience 3-D online activities as we might do in real life but never had the chance.

So focus.

Make up your mind. It can't be still growing if it's already peaked ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


MasterJedi Nayar wrote:

I have seen this 3-D virtual reality grow a lot since I first started in Augutst 17, 2007.  I have seen a good many make real life money in SL.  There is more to SL than making a living.  Education is an all time high.  There is so much that can be done in the conventional world.  SecondLife broadens that horizon.  I think that with all the social netowrking system, including SecondLife, the economy can move in the direction it should.  The Industrial Age was a wonderful experience.  Now it is the 21st Century and beyond. 
We need to focus on this new age
...I call "The Global Humanity Age."

All the social networking has reached it peak and still growing biger and faster
.  SecondLife is one of them with a different aspect, 3-D reality.  In its wonder, I hope that onter innovations will come forth.  As there are different types of ways we socialize online (FaceBook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc.), there can be other innovative ways to share and experience 3-D online activities as we might do in real life but never had the chance.

So focus.

Make up your mind. It can't be still growing if it's already peaked
;)

But . . . but . . . but . . . that is what it said in LL's Marketing Department's briefing paper for this event!

Link to post
Share on other sites


MasterJedi Nayar wrote:

In all my training and understanding of computers, I see a wonderful future for everyone in SecondLife.  It is true not all will benefit from the this technology.  I do not see how the food industry can benefit from SL unless they want to share information in a way that SecondLife can only offer.

I have seen this 3-D virtual reality grow a lot since I first started in Augutst 17, 2007.  I have seen a good many make real life money in SL.  There is more to SL than making a living.  Education is an all time high.  There is so much that can be done in the conventional world.  SecondLife broadens that horizon.  I think that with all the social netowrking system, including SecondLife, the economy can move in the direction it should.  The Industrial Age was a wonderful experience.  Now it is the 21st Century and beyond.  We need to focus on this new age...I call "The Global Humanity Age."

All the social networking has reached it peak and still growing biger and faster.  SecondLife is one of them with a different aspect, 3-D reality.  In its wonder, I hope that onter innovations will come forth.  As there are different types of ways we socialize online (FaceBook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc.), there can be other innovative ways to share and experience 3-D online activities as we might do in real life but never had the chance.

Another big thing that shows promise in SL is people that could not do things in real life are doing so for the first time in SecondLife.  In all honesty, I wonder when SL was first created, did Linden Labs realize how much it is a second life if not a first life to some?  That concept is growing still.  I see it all the time.  That is why I am honored to be a premium account to this day.

In my opinion, Master Jedi, you romanticize SL in particular, and virtual worlds in general, far more than they deserve. You call SL a "3-D reality"? It isn't real. It's virtual. It may look 3-D but that's only a clever programming illusion. Try sticking your hand thru your computer's monitor if you think the three dimensionality is real.

SL is a poor educational medium compared to an old fashioned book. You can borrow a book and read it without reliance on electricity or a computer or software or crashing or lag.

I understand that a very small percentage of people make a RL living via SL. I saw someone boasting that they made $30K in a year selling the virtual stuff they created on SL. Whoopie. Most who make money in SL are lucky if they make enough to pay tier. I see DJs and hostesses working two hour shifts for a few hundred Lindens in tips. What does that come out to? Fifty cents to a dollar per hour? Making minimum wage would be a good gig for many.

Social networking, as you rightly point out, is where venues such as SL really have value. For people who can't get out and meet people in RL for whatever reason, or can't engage in certain RL activities, or want to meet people from different geographic regions, SL can be a valuable resource. Also, SL can be good interactive entertainment. I would certainly rather be on SL than "observe televised programming," (LoL) for instance. But there are other equally rewarding forms of entertainment. It does no good to laud SL over & above other forms of networking & entertainment that may be as rewarding as SL while lacking some of SL's drawbacks.

Personally, I see no reason whatsoever for having a premium SL account, or for spending any RL money on it. I've been fortunate in having "land" be made available to me but even if I hadn't, I would be perfectly content to just log out wherever I happened to be and then rezz there the next day. My inv is cluttered enough with nice stuff that was either a freebie, I got it from Midnight Mania or lucky chairs, was given to me by friends, bought for me by boyfriends, or I bought w/ L$ I got from filling out a survey or something. My avvie is as pretty as those of fashionistas who have spent thousands of $L on their looks. For those fortunate enough to have sufficient income to allow spending RL money on SL, I say that those resources might be better spent on charitable contributions.

I don't think that SL and other online venues have much of a future. The SL economy depends on & reflects the RL economy. The Eurozone is on the brink of collapse, economic growth in the US has been stagnant since 2008, and growth in China is slowing. It's quite likely that the world will slip back into recession. The industrial age and post-industrial information age have been fueled by cheap energy and energy is no longer cheap. As more & more people around the world fall out the bottom of the middle class, luxuries like SL are going to become increasingly unaffordable. For hundreds of millions, being able to afford to eat is already problematic. Those of us with the luxury of being able to afford a computer, to power it and have the time to spend in places like SL, are going to become an increasingly isolated minority.

So enjoy SL while it exists, I say. Don't spend any real money on it, don't become overly emotionally invested in it, cherish the friends you make in SL but when they disappear just let them go. And don't make SL or any other online venue out to be more than it  "really" is, i.e., an entertaining passtime.

Jeanne

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very interesting to read your thoughts and opinions about Second Life.  For sure, Second Life serves different purposes to each individual.  It can be a simple recreational device, or somewhere to create the type of sculpted artwork that would be far to expensive to make in real life.  I don't think it is ever a substitute for a first life though, for none of us would actually be able to function in Second Life without our real life would we?

I am slowly plodding through a book by Tim Guest called "Second Life: a journey through virtual worlds".  I see some similarities between his Second Life and my own, but his reasons for becoming a resident are totally dissimilar to my own.

Can you remember what led you to join Second Life in the first place? Did it turn out to be better than expected for you, or was there a lot that disappointed you? 

I have gone through moments of "plateau", for want of a better word, probably through needing a break. (I love lasagne, but if it were offered to me every single day, I would surely need a break from that also :matte-motes-sick:)  Generally, though, Second Life provides me with recreational activity that often works my grey matter, and definitely feeds the pleasure centres within my brain. No two days are alike, and if I think, even just for a moment, that I might be bored if I choose to log in, I find I never am. No time to be bored.

As to the future of Second Life and virtual worlds generally. I would say the sky is the limit.  There may be many sims that close down every day in Second Life, and many residents who choose never to log in again, but for those, there are sims and people to replace them.  Virtual reality is as subject to evolutionary changes are real life is.

Regarding the points you make in your final paragraph, I do not personally believe that when Linden Lab was first created that LL had a clue how big the monster would become, or how much of a voice the residents would have, how much it would mean to a lot of us. As much as an escape as the garden shed or garage, but that little bit warmer :matte-motes-wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites


JeanneAnne wrote:


In my opinion, Master Jedi, you romanticize SL in particular, and virtual worlds in general, far more than they deserve. You call SL a "3-D reality"? It isn't real. It's virtual. It may look 3-D but that's only a clever programming illusion.
Try sticking your hand thru your computer's monitor if you think the three dimensionality is real.

 

Jeanne

OK I'll concede the point, but you owe me a monitor and a box of Band Aids.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When SL was first created it hit it's limit of the initial dream early on, then it tried to improve things a bit here and there. It's initial dream was to create a great product and it did just that. The idea of it being an actual "world" has never been the focus. The term "world" is used in the same context as Carpet World, it is a presentation not an actual place although it could be. It is a place or places to it's many of it's users but not to SL, SL has no offices for any of it's departments in SL. Their guidelines are presented in business terms such as the "terms of service".

With greater understanding of what SL could be the company really should take the lead and rely less on their user base to present SL to the real world. In the areas of business and education SL could do a lot to make the virtual world a viable alternative to the real world ways of doing things. While many have tried they usually do not fair very well since they have to do it all on their own. Many that have been in SL for years are still having troubles climbing to steep learning curve hill SL poses while trying to operate a business or classes at the same time.

Social networking is for fun and advertising, it is usually done within a few brief logins lasting several seconds per login. It is easy to see how this periodic spatter of text can become boring rather quickly. With that, web sites will come and go as they have been doing for well over a decade now. SL offers so much more than a way to text OGMs back and forth. As you stated it can actually be a first life to some people and businesses and this could be true in the future for real non prim based businesses and educational institutions if it were much more intuitive. The undoing of many long path links to do a single action are a major step in the right direction but they still have plenty more to address.

At this point it will either continue to grow or someone else will come along with a vision and surpass all that they have done. Either way virtual reality will flourish as it can provide so much more with a massive savings of time and costs.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What made me want to join SecondLife had to do with my love for technology.  I have a certificate and 3 diplomas in the I.T. field.  Unforturnately all jobs I could have gotton went overseas.  Now I am back in school for another major.  As for your question, "Has my life been better?"  Yes it ihas.  I learn things in SL that I do not think I could in real life.  It is the stepping out of the box that can make a difference.

The sky is the limit is SL.  That is why so many colleges are using it.  I am excited to see what next will happen in SL to allow everyone to excel in their own lives.  I have seen so much changes and all of it for the better.  It has brought the world togehter as one human race.  It has broke the sex barriers.  It has broke the borders between countries and allowed us to be humans amoung each other.

What amazes me that everything that we see in SL has nothing directly to do with Linden Labs, unless they create their own regions or whatever.  That 99.9% of SL has been created by everyone else.  That is why SL has stood up with all the other 3-D realies.  It is more than social interaction that made SL so wonderful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

---------

In my opinion, Master Jedi, you romanticize SL in particular, and virtual worlds in general, far more than they deserve. You call SL a "3-D reality"? It isn't real. It's virtual. It may look 3-D but that's only a clever programming illusion. Try sticking your hand thru your computer's monitor if you think the three dimensionality is real.

SL is a poor educational medium compared to an old fashioned book. You can borrow a book and read it without reliance on electricity or a computer or software or crashing or lag.

----------

Reality is what you make out of it.  As George Lucas said though his Star Wars movies, "The truth we cling to are told to a certian point of view."  To have it real does not mean it is always tangable.  Because it is online does not mean it is worthless.

Online education is growing.  The old fashion textbook take years to make and get printed.  By that time the information could be out of date before the students get a hold of it.  Most importantly, we learn more than what is in a textbook.  If students have a great instructor, the textbook is a supliment to what is being taught in the classroom.  SeclondLife is another medium that instructors can use.  It is a tool and nothing more.  It does not tools cannot be used when it is needed of them.

There are people that do make real life money in SL.  More could do so if they work hard in it.  No online or off line medium is a quick buck factory.  Many, many colleges are using SL.  There are other organizations using it too.  Social networking online is not a fad.  It has grown far too much since 2001.  I might be opitimistic for some on what I have stated, but I stand by what I have said to this day.

There is an old saying, "Every action there is an opposite equal reaction."  By being a free account in SL is like saying, I am going to a post secondary school for more money.  Going to college is more than getting more income.  It is the ability to get a job that one can hold onto.  Part time jobs do not last.  Most imployers do not like job hoppers.  Tools like SL online is a means to an end that keep on going.

By being a premium account, I am saying, to myself and others, I am wanting more out of life within this 3-D virtual reality.  It also helps support Linden Labs by allowing them to continue to work and improve on the quality of SecondLife.  There is another old saying, "If you want something in life that is worth having...you earn it."

That is why I titled, my original statement "The future of SecondLife."  I know technology and have seen it grow beyond anything else in life.  Cannot wait to see what happens next.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


MasterJedi Nayar wrote:

What made me want to join SecondLife had to do with my love for technology.  I have a certificate and 3 diplomas in the I.T. field.  Unforturnately all jobs I could have gotton went overseas.  Now I am back in school for another major.  As for your question, "Has my life been better?"  Yes it ihas.  I learn things in SL that I do not think I could in real life.  It is the stepping out of the box that can make a difference.

The sky is the limit is SL.  That is why so many colleges are using it.  I am excited to see what next will happen in SL to allow everyone to excel in their own lives.  I have seen so much changes and all of it for the better.  It has brought the world togehter as one human race.  It has broke the sex barriers.  It has broke the borders between countries and allowed us to be humans amoung each other.

What amazes me that everything that we see in SL has nothing directly to do with Linden Labs, unless they create their own regions or whatever.  That 99.9% of SL has been created by everyone else.  That is why SL has stood up with all the other 3-D realies.  It is more than social interaction that made SL so wonderful.

Just keep focussing on all the positives and you won't go far wrong in life.

You might just want to change the name you put on your CV though - you accidentally put your SL name in there instead of your real name (got you checking :matte-motes-wink-tongue:  ) Just my little joke, of course.

I agree 100% that "It is more than social interaction that made SL so wonderful"; I think people get from Second Life what they put into it really. I mean, if they have a thirst for knowledge, they will always find new things to experience and learn from.

Being able to "meet" people who I would not have otherwise have done has been particularly enriching.

But I do have to tell you that I was the complete opposite of you - an absolute technophobe - before I experienced Second Life.  This woke something up in my brain, and continues to feed it.

Good luck in finding the exact employment you want. I know it's really tough in certain specialised fields; you do sound an awful lot like my RL friend, Ste; he got tons of qualifications in different areas of IT, really wanted to specialise in voice recognition technology, but for now is working in a problem solving department and feeling undervalued.

Link to post
Share on other sites

>>Reality is what you make out of it. <<

No it isn't. Reality is what it IS, regardless of what you make out of it, or fail to. If you think that reality is what you make out of it, try making out of it your ability to fly in RL, then jump off a cliff. Reality is something you either conform to or die.

>>There are people that do make real life money in SL.  More could do so if they work hard in it.<<

What percentage of SL users make real life money from it? 0.1%? How many make a decent living from it? 0.01% I would contend that much more money could be made from most any RL endeavor, given the same amount of time & energy committed, than could be made in SL. There may be a very few people who, because of some opportunity limiting factor, might do better in a SL business than in RL. These people are going to be very few in number, however, and they'd better be careful not to run afoul of the IRS or Social Security.

>>Many, many colleges are using SL.<<

How many? A handful? Are they accredited? Are there more or less today than there used to be? How do you do labs in SL? How do you study biology? By going to a Lycan or Neko RP sim?

In a way, your enthusiasm for SL is heartening, Master Jedi. Best wishes to you! May reality never smack you up side the head until you're prepared for it.

Jeanne

Link to post
Share on other sites

SL, or rather the idea behind it, sure has potential. But SL has too many problems to be useful for just about anything. My RL partner makes her income in SL. Or rather, would make the income in SL if there wasn't a much better medium for communication: Skype and screencasts. SL merely facilitates payments.

For businesses, SL is useless. As a conferencing platform it uses too many ressources and delivers utterly **bleep**ty performance.

Teaching might be fun in SL, but RL and/or webcast teaching is easier, works better and is more flexible than SL. Whoops, lost voice again? Darn. Let's re-schedule class. Or use a reliable conference system.

Socializing? Well, maybe when someone invents a brain implant. Can't hug people in SL, can't go to dinner with someone, can't touch hands, can't enjoy their body language, can't share a book... the list is endless.

SL isn't the next great thing. It's got too many devastating design flaws that are very near unfixable. Besides, any interaction over computer is limiting, fake and at best useful for very specific purposes.

Maybe if someone with enough brain and vision comes along, something like SL might take off in the mass PC market. SL is a niche product and will remain a niche product. Only gaming PCs can run it (barely) adequately. Even high end gaming rigs run SL like a pile of **bleep**, regardless of viewer.

What SL is, is a good way to waste some time. Akin to MMOs, web forums and social networking pages.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears you have drunk the Kool-Aid which of course we all have at one time or another but the reality is that regardless of all the great ideas on what SL could be there is also the dark reality of what it is.

In large part, we have seen a very significant decline as you noted while we have seen a mass exodus of the corporate world exit.  When I brought in a group of corporate accounts to SL, our biggest problem is still there and as far as I can tell it will always be there. This problem is also prevalent in the Linden Realms Sims. 

A sim is 1/5 of a mile wide aka 256 meters and only holds 40 agents at best. With these limitations, it becomes very hard to monetize SL to make it more than just a Social Community.   As long as the technology holds these and other limitations, I really don't see it getting much further than it is today.

Therefore, the notion that the sky is the limit is a bit misguided though I love the enthusiasm and optimism..  SL in and of itself is the limit based on it's very limited technology.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As anything in life, it will have it downfalls.  I have seen SecondLife change dramatically since it first started.  Why large corporations left SL could be due to the economy as a whole.  Dramatic cutbacks were done that year so many left SL.  Just the same, I have seen SecondLife excel in ways I did not expect.  Linden Labs has a new mesh system.  They jumped from a Version 2 (V2) to a Version 3 (V3) viewer.  This could cripple a lot of 3rd party V1 viewers (from what I have heard).

All that has been happening lately is not SecondLife seeing it last days, but innovation.  From the Industrial Age, there were fallouts of jobs and other things that would take too long to go into here.  Now we are in a newer age that I call "Globalized Humanity."  As expected, transending from the old Industrial Age to this new one has grabbed a lot by the shorts.  Just the same, life moves on, and I see it going/growing in a magnificent way.  There is a lot more to do before this Age can get on its feet and start progressing with this new innovation that appears to be constantly involving.

When that does happen, I know (by what I have seen so far) SecondLife will be a big part of it.  Before that happens, Linden Labs may have to innovate the grid further than just mesh or V3 for that matter.  The biggest issue is having the personal comptuers stay up to date.  With a GeForce GT 430 video card (that I have), I for the first time have set my graphic settings to full.  I have seen how wonderful SecondLife can be on a visual medium.

I think the issures so many are having with SecondLIfe is not the grid itself, but the client end.  SecondLife is a true client/server based mutual system.  From my experience with computers (one certificate and 3 diplomas), the client end is always going to be a lower end than the servers.  For so many, it is hard to get the latest upgrade, especially in the economic downfall we all live in today.  That is not LL fault but the situations we live in.

As economy will push forward, more and more will start to upgrade due to necessity.  Look around, technology is growing faster and faster, spite the economy.  Nothing can stop it.  Either we get on board or we will be left in the dust.  The new transition must be for us to be upgraded to this technology wonder.

Even though, as you said, business have left SL, but tons of credible colleges and organizations are in.  Once ebooks replace hard copy books (the trend does show it to be so), then more and more will rely on digital means in just about anything you or I can thnk of.  No matter how we can slice it, we are tramatically turning our lives in to this technology.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


MasterJedi Nayar wrote:

Because something does reach its peek does not mean it cannot grow.  That is life and the ones that work hard at what they do in life...online or off line.

Actually it does mean it won't grow. Otherwise its not at peak. Check a dictionary for peak. It means top, and not the kind you spin - regardless of how it can get used in corp speak.

Also: if you've got 3 degrees in IT, those jobs that left overseas - many of them have come back. Its been found that outsourcing a lot of tech doesn't work so well. It actually requires a heavy cultural connection between your developers and your consumers for the end product to be both usable and relatable. Without that, you can end up doubling your budget fixing peculiar assumptions made by your abroad development team, retooling things for your local consumer, and expanding customer service to deal with problems. All of which can blow development time out to the extreme...

- which works both ways. If your end customer is abroad, then you want developers from that market...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Second life and other virtual worlds will always be just that - virtual reality.  We all know they're not real in a 'real' sense, but they have a reality to residents / players while they're involved.  

I've seen a lot of improvements to SL in my 5 years here.  Clearly there are other more specialised games or programmes that have better graphics and physics, but maybe one day SL will match those.  If Linden Lab can create a platform that's convincing enough visually for professionals to use for simulations and visualisations, then they will really be on to an even bigger winner.  But they mustn't lose sight of their bread and butter customers in the process, leisure 'players' like most of us.  

Re: large corporations leaving SL...

I expect many of them joined to see what it was like as there was a buzz going round about the potential of a virtual presence a few years ago.  Maybe some of the 'corporate' people who joined SL stayed on and became ordinary hobby residents like us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone who thinks SL is a good substitute for reality is severely handicapped - or severely demented. Try hugging a friend in SL. Try eating out in SL. Try just about _any_ human interaction in SL and then in RL. Try feeling the wind and weather in RL. Go sail in RL, then in SL. Go hug your grandchildren/friend/family in RL. RL beats SL hands-down in every single department. Or, more accurately, RL beats _any_ cyber interaction.

Even if you claim it's good for social networking, that's simply not the whole truth. There are better ways to network than SL. Even the godawful FakeBorg page is better for that. For business needs there's better tools as well. GotoMeeting, various videoconferencing solutions, prototyping solutions (aside from wanting to TOUCH a prototype), collaborative work tools etc.pp.

SL is a toy and somewhat of a social playground. Akin to going to the movies, not akin to the clothes we wear every day.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Everyone who thinks SL is a good substitute for reality is severely handicapped - or severely demented. Try hugging a friend in SL. Try eating out in SL. Try just about _any_ human interaction in SL and then in RL. Try feeling the wind and weather in RL. Go sail in RL, then in SL. Go hug your grandchildren/friend/family in RL. RL beats SL hands-down in every single department. Or, more accurately, RL beats _any_ cyber interaction.

Even if you claim it's good for social networking, that's simply not the whole truth. There are better ways to network than SL. Even the godawful FakeBorg page is better for that. For business needs there's better tools as well. GotoMeeting, various videoconferencing solutions, prototyping solutions (aside from wanting to TOUCH a prototype), collaborative work tools etc.pp.

SL is a toy and somewhat of a social playground. Akin to going to the movies, not akin to the clothes we wear every day.

Please read this guest blog by Treacle Darlandes. You've stated what SL is to you, but SL can be something different for everyone who uses it. Many people can't go do the RL things they can do in SL.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hence the handicapped part. SL is great for people who _cannot_ go out because of whatever handicap. It's not so great for people who are not handicapped and simply don't go out. True, it's possible to explore things in SL that one cannot in RL. I'm sure I cannot be a horse in RL... that does however not mean SL is in any way shape or form a substitute for reality, except, as stated, for handicapped people who simply cannot experience reality anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Hence the handicapped part. SL is great for people who _cannot_ go out because of whatever handicap. It's not so great for people who are not handicapped and simply don't go out. True, it's possible to explore things in SL that one cannot in RL. I'm sure I cannot be a horse in RL... that does however not mean SL is in any way shape or form a substitute for reality, except, as stated, for handicapped people who simply cannot experience 
some areas of reality
anymore.

FIFY ;)

But even after the fix, I completely disagree with you. SL is not a substitute reality for anyone. It is different things to different people - hobby, business, fun, romance, other things, and various combinations of all sorts of things. What it isn't, and never will be, is reality for anyone, or even a substitute for reality for anyone, in any other sense than it exists, so it is real.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spite the fears, geers, and lack of understandings regarding SL and the future of life itself, I thought to share some super sites on SL and education:

 

Virtual schools booming as states mull warnings

Online classrooms: More teachers ride virtual circuit

Second Life Education

The School of Second Life: Education Online

Second Life - Education and Learning Opportunities

 

These are just a few of what can be done in SecondLife regarding education.  If the trolls that are saying so much negativities about what I have written, then should they be in real life smelling the air and all the rest?  If SL is not for you, then do not use it.  The rest of the world will use today's technology.  There is no reason to be rude with your comments.  I will nor can change your own mind.  Please be stupid somewhere else.  


Link to post
Share on other sites

Education is great, but the Darkside says that they have Cookies.

It is usually easier to critique how something is said than it it is to manifest an original thought. I applaud those who have the courage to venture to speak without being prompted. That is a sign of a self correcting mechanism. The ability to heal, learn and grow.

May the force be with you Master Jedi Nayar

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...