Different kinds of Vampires? - Dark Fey & other races

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have to admit that I'm not involved in vampire role play. My boyfriend and SL partner was in a Bloodlines clan for a while, but he ended up buying some kind of device so that he doesn't have to feed in the game.  We also briefly role played together in a True Blood sim, but I chose not to play a supernatural myself.

I guess what bugs me personally about most vampire role play is what I perceive to be rather trite and shallow ideas of what a vampire would be. The idea of physically attractive immortals with fangs and pale skin is a pretty new one culturally speaking, and even though there have been a few twists on the old stereotype in written fiction, Hollywood and TV doesn't seem to veer very far from the same old cookie-cutter vampires.  Most vampires in SL seem to me to follow these Hollywood and TV stereotypes, but perhaps I'm wrong? Are there any vampires in SL like those of White Court in the Dresden Files or like other non-standard vampires? Does a being have to be undead or drink blood to be a vampire?

There are other beings in folklore that are in some sense vampiric. The Leanan Sidhe, for instance, gives poetic inspiration to her lover at the price of slowly draining his life-force. Succubi and incubi were thought to drain the vitality of humans through sexual intercourse with them. Even mermaids, undines, rusalki, lamiea and ghosts have been considered predatory sirens who seduce men and lead then to their deaths.

I'm probably not going to be getting into vampire role play anytime soon, but I'd like to create a look for my avatar that captures this idea of a being who is both beguilingly seductive and cold-heartedly predatory. I've bought mermaid tails & lamia-type shapes, a Leanan Sidhe outfit, and I'm considering a Rusalka one, but so far nothing seems to adequately capture the feeling I want to portray of a seductive, begging predator. Does anyone else have ideas for this kind of look?

Also, what sims involve role play with a variety of supernatural beings, rather than just vampires and werewolves fighting each other? I'm very interesting in the upcoming Syfy series "Lost Girl", about a succubus-type fey and other fey beings living in our world. Is there a sim that does something like that?

I like crossover roleplay, as it is both more challenging and more flexible.

So does anybody know where i could find robot vampires, say, or Gorean vampires?

Or maybe kid's play vampires? I used to watch the cartoon about The Littlest Vampire and it was funny. The teeth would also give a good reason to lisp, wouldn't they!

Any more crossover rp suggestions?

• 1 month later...

If you want some ideas ...

I ran into this in my text base RP days and grew so sick and tired of the stereotypes that I developed my own breed(s) of various, "common" supernatural beings in such a way that some could be combined (I had the idea of a Vampire/Werecreature hybrid long before Underworld and to this day people still believe the idea came from that blasted movie series).

As an example, my variation on the Vampire takes a slightly more scientific approach: Vampirisim is a disease, one which grew from a mutuation of the Human Genome - in particular, a disorder wherein the body does not produce nearly enough Hemoglobin and as a result, those afflicted began, over time, to evolve into beings which could process Hemoglobin though the ingestion of the blood of nearly any creature. Exposure to a virulent viral strain later affected this new gene in such a manner that it became viral itself. This occured long after "Vampires" evolved into better predators, and eneded up including many of the usual "positive" traits. The negatives? They can be slain though the infliction of a normally fatal wound (through the heart, through the head, snapping of the neck in such a manner as to sever the spinal cord) as well as adverse effects concerning sunlight (the ultraviolet rays inhibiting their Hemoglobin processing as well as boiling off what they have absorbed over time). They can walk in the sun .... but not for extended periods.

If you'd like more information or a link to my old information page, hit me up in world sometime. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.