Mainland reset required... need assistance

MadameAdele

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've recently acquired land on SL. it's part of a mainland sim yet I have no land rights so I can't reset the sim myself

No one I've come across can gimme a definite, constructed answer apart from 'LL needs to action it' with no detail how to contact LL so I've resorted to posting here hoping someone can atleast direct me to who I needa talk to

My sim is very laggy and is in dire need of reset, so the help would be appreciated

Thanks

Welcome to the Second Life Forums, MadameAdele

Firstly, LL are unlikely to reset a mainland regions simply because a resident declares it to be laggy.  The lag might be only affecting you, or the lag is probably a result of someone having rezzed too many scripted objects somewhere on the sim.  A region reset would not cure this.

However, as you are a premium member, you are entitled to contact Live Chat for support on this link ...

https://support.secondlife.com/start-chat/

Good luck.

By land reset I assume you are talking about a sim restart.  I also assume you are renting this mainland (otherwise you would have "land rights").  So my guess is that you are not a premium member......I could be wrong.  But not being a premium member limits your access to having the sim restarted....you have only the support ticket portal.  You can request a sim restart by submitting a request for it using the ticket portal. 

But a faster way would be to contact the sim owner (or whoever it is you pay your rent to) and have them contact LL using Live Chat.  I've requested more than just a few sim restarts using Live Chat and got the sim restarted within minutes.  But, I haven't had the need to do that for quite a while........things might be a little slower these days.

Looks like we might not need to request sim restarts for a little while. The gridstatus page has just been updated.

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

[postED] Critical OS Software Upgrade — Region Restarts

Posted by Status Desk on December 14th, 2011 at 05:08 pm PST

[postED 5:11PM PST, 14 Dec 2011]  We are beginning this evening’s maintenance on the Agni main grid, which  will require an extended period of region restarts. We expect this  maintenance to be completed by December 25, 2011. We will update this  when work begins, as well as throughout the process.

Then, unfortunately, you do not own the land.  Who ever it is that you pay tier to owns it.  If you pay tier to Linden Lab directly in real world money for your tier then you own it.........and you definitely have land rights.  Any other method of paying for tier means you are renting.  The exception might be that your land is 512 square meters or less........you won't pay any tier (unless your owner requires it).

If you don't have land rights and the land in Mainland, then you don't own the land.......you are renting.

@Peggy: The thread says that it's mainland and not a private island/estate.

@MadameAdele:

If you bought the land, rather than rented it, you can do as was suggested, and contact live support, asking for a sim restart. They've done it every time I've asked for it. Only once was it initially refused - because there were too many avatars in the sim at the time. They were my bots, which I logged out, and the sim was restarted. With mainland, you can never do it yourself - not even if you own the whole sim.

It may not help though. If stuff in the sim is causing the lag, it'll still be there after a restart. Also, sims share servers, and stuff on one sim can cause lag for other sims that are on the same server, so your lag might be due to another sim.

Still, you can try having it restarted. It might help.

Please, MadamAdele, contact Live Chat and talk this over with them. They will (hopefully) clarify for you. Click on this link to do so ...    https://support.secondlife.com/start-chat/

When you say you have "no land rights", please note that mainland residents' land rights are limited to their own parcel only, not the whole sim. You should therefore be able to build on your land, include terraforming, set media streaming, restrict certain people from your land (but not the whole sim). The only way to get a mainland sim reset is by contacting LL.

If, however, you are not paying your tier fees directly to LL, but are paying through a rental box, even after purchasing the parcel of land, you do need to speak with the person who owns the rental box, because it means, you are in fact paying rental, not tier, even though that money does go, via the rental box owner, to LL to pay THEIR tier fees.

You may also be interested in reading the "Buy Land: FAQ" section of this website. Click on this link to see more ...   https://secondlife.com/land/faq/

$25 a month is definately not the cost of a full mainland sim. at that price, sounds liek you just own a parcel (small portion of a sim) and in that case, you will definately not have any sim rights what so ever (meaning you cannot restart it yourself, etc).

And if you are paying your $25 a month directly to Linden Labs using your paypal or credit card, etc.. contact live support to request a restart or submit a support ticket, however the fact that you own just a tiny portion of a sim, LL will most likely not act upon your request unless your neighbors in the same sim also complain as well.

However if you are paying for your land by transfering Linden to an individual, paying it into an object inworld (i.e. rental post/box) or transfering money over paypal to an individual's account. then you are definately renting the land through someone else and do not actually "own" the land, in which case, you may not even have basic parcel management (i.e. about info, object rights, etc) rights unless the true land owner granted you them.

Phil, I know she said mainland.

-------------------------------------------------------------

By land reset I assume you are talking about a sim restart.  I also assume you are renting this mainland (otherwise you would have "land rights").  So my guess is that you are not a premium member......I could be wrong.  But not being a premium member limits your access to having the sim restarted....you have only the support ticket portal.  You can request a sim restart by submitting a request for it using the ticket portal.

But a faster way would be to contact the sim owner (or whoever it is you pay your rent to) and have them contact LL using Live Chat.  I've requested more than just a few sim restarts using Live Chat and got the sim restarted within minutes.  But, I haven't had the need to do that for quite a while........things might be a little slower these days.

----------------------------------------------------------------

That is the entire post that I made.  Read it again, please.

Are you talking about landrights or about estate rights? From what I read about resetting and all you mean estate rights. Ofcourse you don't get those on mainland. Imagine all the owners of land on your sim being able to ban people from the sim or return objects or reset the sim whenever they feel like it. No idea how many owners your particular sim has, but I wouldn't be surprized if there were over 20. That would be fun. I don't think there are enough estate manager slots available for all of them. Anyway, as most people suggested, use the live chat or if you don't want to do that for some reason, file a ticket. In 2008 the sim I own a small plot on on mainland (well my business partner), had some serious issues and LL would reset rather quickly after a ticket, time after time. Live would ofcourse be faster, but at the time I had no premium account.

I appreciate all the help, I wasn't aware that by only paying $25 directly to LL per month that I wouldn't own my sim. There was no mention of that

------------------------------------------------------------

25 US$/mth pays the tier for up to 4096 m² of land, 1/16 sim.

Of course there was no mention of the simple fact that it isn't enough for a sim, it's common knowledge and the tier fees for different land sizes are clearly stated on the SL website. I wonder how you bought the land. You just clicked the buy button and never looked at the size and prims you get for your money? And you never wondered why there were other ppl living in the same sim and didn't pay you any rent or moved out after you purchased it?

Your case honestly sounds a bit fishy. There's too many uncleared questions.

Still, you're a premium. So just contact live chat and ask them to restart the region, or better try to find out what causes the lag and what kind of lag it is in the first place. Might be client side lag, and in that case a sim restart or even a new server version won't help you at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.