Have you found a sense of discrimination in Second Life that provoked your own prejudices?

BothamFidor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life is home to a multiplicity of so-called "communities" that are loose associations of fantasists who exploit the anonymity and lack of moral code to indulge their fetishes and bigotries.

What have your experiences been of meeting BDSMers, Goreans, Feminists and anti-furries?

Has it made you think again about your own bigotry or reinforced your irrational feelings?

Tell everyone about it here!

In fact, I'll start it off. SL has made me reconsider my attitudes to rape, marriage, fidelity and incest.

You don't get that from a game of monopoly (tm) do you!

Yes.

But it was more on third party forums than here or inworld. Less said the better.

Hmmm... inworld I guess you could say BDSM and Goreans both evoke issues for me. Any relationship based on power dynamics is anathema to me. I don't care if there's really consent; its still a power-dynamic which I find oppresive. Oddly enough, most of my better friends in SL are in the BDSM scene, and some of them are in the Gorean scene.

- and these are scenes which have caused me to have RL-shakes upon encountering 'the full RP' in SL.

I can't imagine what anyone could possibly ever have against feminists. How anyone could have something against people who want gender equality baffles me to no end.

I have seen what I feel is wrong personally in Second Life for example people banning furries from private lands and such without even telling them why they were banned or such but under the TOS/CS this is legal.

Then I have seen things such as restricting furry avatars, robot's and such to GOR I can understand the restriction of certain avatars as long as it is done in a polite manor, and they are aware of such.

For example most of the Combat Community allows Furries, Nekos, Dragons and such which I totally believe people should have the right to wear what type of avatar they want to for example I think it is very stupid in a simulator I have gone to saying I can't play my Neko avatar there because it shows too much skin, Its Bits were covered but they whine and complain about my avatar I think that is just plain stupid things like such that create drama, and they allow furries and all that, I can understand restriction of bits, or showing prim bits but sometimes they go a bit over the edge it is SL People are here to enjoy it.

I do honestly find Discrimination in a lot of ways in SL however, people have a lot of personal reasons for things and sometimes things are just plain stupid like I am not sure you can call it discrimination, but I get kicked out of some area's of SL sometimes by stupid owners who knowingly worked with griefers who got my account suspended from SL Twice, made legal threats towards my avatar in SL itself, and then spread rumors around and nothing gets done about them at all after they were reported by me and others who saw things they were saying and did. People might think just because they own over 10 sims that they are clean good legit people but working with griefers, and getting off helping them meh and it just makes me really pissed off and feel like discrimination in some ways at all, I mean if they want to eject, or ban my avatar they have the right, but they do not have the right to lie to others in SL, and tell lies to my face which yet they still have not proven.

What can I say really there are a lot of Ignorant, and Corrupt GM's in Role-Play regions in SL, for example this one sim that banned me from all their regions has been around for years, but was once over 30 regions and then they downsized to like around 10 or something for some reason, but after doing research on the search engines about their RP sim I found that I was not the only one done this way, but at least two others besides me, and other rumors about their RP meters having their source code stolen from other peoples scripting/work, then I find there are some really good RP sims in SL that don't have this type of stuff and don't listen to rumors or hersey they only go by the avatar that actually does something wrong, which hey I totally take responsibility if I break a rule or something, but won't take responsibility because someone more than likely a fellow RP member who did nothing but have discrimination and hate for me griefed their regions and said Hi I am GG and I doing it for the lulz, while this has all been months ago I have lots of documents proving their GM abuse in SL, and nothing done about it by the owner, including them loging IP addresses of other uses without knowledge or permission not that it is a private thing but I believe people deserve a bit of privacy.

In general I dont hate any avatar people are free to be who they want to be, for example I like some furry avatar's I tihnk some of them are pretty nice, but some of them I don't like usually I don't say it directly to someone because I let them be who they want to be as it is their choice, but for me a furry avatar, or a dragon is like clothing gotta find the good ones, match them out to your avatar, edit and modify them to look really nice.

As far as BDSM, and things and adult content like you talk about.

1. Age Verification, needs to be put back in SL by Linden Lab to show ID, because some RP such as Gorean Simulators, and this other Dark RP simulator that I got banned from and accused by the owner of griefing and other stuff they couldn't prove are 18+ Simulators, but they Do nothing to verify the actual age of an avatar, and allow adult, and explicit content, which could involve a teenager, or someone under the age of 18, and as Linden Lab, requires no ID, and the Region requires no ID to verify they are 18+, technically they can be reported to certain people for actions to be taken such as requiring that LL require ID, or that these regions Require ID of every individual, or they get into trouble legally. Keep in mind that as some of these RP simulators have pissed me off, I have reported some of them myself to the proper people for having Child Avatars there, and possible contact with people under the age of 18, while it can't be fully confirmed, I have run into at least one person who was a real pervert there and felt reporting it was neceassry, I am not going to say what avatar, or how I got the info but its good enough to do a Chris Hansen report LOL, not sure if any legal steps will be taken to make sure no one under the age of 18 gets access to explicit content, but thats up to Linden Lab, and the people running adult clubs, They need to require ID Real Life to run Such, the Club itself in SL, or Linden Lab.

I know that Explicit Videos on the internet can have adult content and expose a person under the age of 18, and I will be honest, anyone usually 13+ knows about this stuff true, but in a virtual world like Second Life, APB, Entropia exposing them to possible contact with predators where they can chat, interact possibly never catch the person because they used a WI-FI Connection on SL and abducted a Teen, and LL has no Info is a different story.

Incest, is just something that totally is perverted to me, and hey I have seen innocent people almost get married in SL to someone who was under the age of 18 in RL but they had no Idea until they told them and they were mature enough as well, but still LL really needs Age VERIFICATION, AGAIN!, It will help stop Explosure to Teens, and anyone under the age of 18 Connecting to adult Sims, and Deal with GRIEFERS griefing in adult regions for the Lulz they say, I mean lulz pranks or meme is okay but some people take it way too far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctct7qCPDBA <--- See what I mean LOL?

As Second Life is a multi platform service, I can easily access SL From any computer, even change IP address, Client Details sent, My pc gets banned change my processor, Network Card, even if I had to do that for example, my point is that people can use an I Pad from a public WI-FI Location, Stalk Teens on a text based client, pretend they are a friend of theirs, get their Address, and  the FBI would never find the person it would be too hard, these are the dangers for teens in the virtual world, and parents, but most importantly the company itself needs to require ID when accessing any part of an adult service and put measures in place to prevent this type of stuff, I think that accessing SL from a text based client on an IPad, Laptop or public location is a great thing, but can be abused too the abuse needs to be prevented.

As far as my own Discrimination

I do my best never to Hate people, or Avatars, but there are a select number of people in our grid, some of them well known by RP Community groups who have knowingly allowed harm to people who build and design our world, Second Life, and its service by allowing members of my own Ex.Group to break the TOS knowingly multiple times, ban my avatar to try to keep me from abuse reporting, and working along with many other groups in the past, I will never forget that, and I will always hate them for that, can that change it depends if they have changed, stop holding grudges and prove they are no longer supporting such griefer activities, while they have been AR in the past, there hasn't been enough evidence I guess for LL to do anything, but really I honestly Don't even want to ever step foot in that entire RP Community anymore simply because of one person, and their Cross grouping members that assoicate with people who did, or still do illegal things in our grid such as griefing, and Copying other peoples avatars illegally.

Compared to over 10 Thousand people who use SL, it is only a select few people who have made the Enemy list because of what they have done all of it really related to griefer activities, or something they have done which was really wrong, although it can create problems when you get drama such as one person in an RP sim with a lot of hate for another or a manager of a certain club for example when they spread tons of rumors around I see that done too much and creates problems for others in a virtual world like SL.

As far as myself Usually I play a Neko, but sometimes I change into a furry, but the thing I hate the most is people telling me to cover every part of the skin on my neko really because it shows too much skin lol in that case I usually just leave the combat sim or RP sim until I find a GM, or Admin who doesn't mind.

BothamFidor wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

How anyone could have something against people who want gender equality baffles me to no end.

it baffles me why they should be fighting an activist campaign in SL where nobody knows your real gender!

Hate and bigotry is still hate and bigotry regardless. Expecting equal treatment is not activism. Its expecting human decency. That is not an activist position.

I have never had slex with a woman of the opposite color of me.  This may be tied to my RL fear (and lack of an actual experience) that my performance would be found lacking.

I am not certain if this qualifies as a prejudice though but perhaps an irrational fear.

Botham Fidor asked:

it baffles me why they should be fighting an activist campaign in SL where nobody knows your real gender!

---------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't matter Botham. There are enough males playing females in SL. I know some (and think I figured out some of them). And as soon as they are wearing their female avatar they are treated as females and encounter the treatment by males. So many of them turning into feminists pretty quickly, or at  least they are becoming a bit more aware of the underlying sociological problems we women are facing in everyday life.

Anyway, as I said it doesn't really matter what sex a person is. Feminism is a fight for equality, against opression. So everybody supporting that fights is a feminist, no matter if boy or girl.

I believe I am far less trusting of people on the whole, having associated with many types of individuals for many years from various countries and ethnicities in Second Life.

The whole fantasy side of things, I don't pay much attention to because it is virtual however, I'm sure they are indicators as to the type of person you're interacting with. 

• 2 years later...

I have a question. I have read the ToS and I have read the community standards; however, I like to role play in Gor, which has a lot of homophobia. I have been, what I feel, is sexually harassed for being gay, kicked out, banned etc for acting or looking gay or transgendered. Do these sims have the right according to ToS and community standards to remove avatars from their sim for being openly gay, acting openly gay, or looking effeminate? I would just like to get some input and discussion going on this issue. 

Perrin Avindar wrote:

I have a question. I have read the ToS and I have read the community standards; however, I like to role play in Gor, which has a lot of homophobia. I have been, what I feel, is sexually harassed for being gay, kicked out, banned etc for acting or looking gay or transgendered. Do these sims have the right according to ToS and community standards to remove avatars from their sim for being openly gay, acting openly gay, or looking effeminate? I would just like to get some input and discussion going on this issue. 

Are you talking about Gorean?

Really they can kick your avatar out for any reason they feel like..

discrimination happenes to the user not the figurine..

Owners of a sim can ban who they want for whatever reason they want.  The Community Guidelines say that they cannot use anti-gay hate speech but banning someone doesn't fall under hate speech.

Honestly it's not surprising that a Gorean group is homophobic. Have you ever read those books? I've never seen a worse collection of sexist macho patricrchal drivel in my entire life.  You'd be much better off finding a non-Gorean fantasy sim to roleplay in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.